SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 01-22-2022, 11:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
If I did not have unraid running I would likely run a Linux VM with docker in that Linux VM and run the dockers from there. Others on the forum (I believe hvymetal for one) do something similar and perhaps can guide.
K
Thanks! Maybe time to abandon the Dockers for Windows approach; I don't have the skills to do very much troubleshooting so I'm looking for an approach that most represents how Sage development is moving and most folks on this forum are employing. I see that Virtualbox has a good reputation as a Windows VM. So would that with, say, Ubuntu and dockers be one that doesn't make my environment too much of an outlier?
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist

Last edited by hb4; 01-22-2022 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb4 View Post
Thanks! Maybe time to abandon the Dockers for Windows approach; I don't have the skills to do very much troubleshooting so I'm looking for an approach that most represents how Sage development is moving and most folks on this forum are employing. I see that Virtualbox has a good reputation as a Windows VM. So would that with, say, Ubuntu and dockers be one that doesn't make my environment too much of an outlier?
If you are running windows 10 or 11 you just need to enable hyperv manager

Here is a random result on how to do this but Google will provide lots of results

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-crea...ows-10-4770680

K
Old 01-26-2022, 11:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You may want to check out DietPi https://dietpi.com/

I have been playing with this today and if I was not using unraid I think I would be using this.

They have images that run under Hyper-V on windows (and others) and I basically setup the VM, stepped through their setup, installed both docker and portainer using the software install menus and went to the IP:9002 link to portainer and there was docker running with a slick interface (the OS is Debian Linux)

I then created a Stack Custom Template (which I can share) that created a network and runs 2 SageTV servers on different IPs each with openDCT in them. My other SageTV clients (windows and linux) can see the new OpenDCT devices. Worked slick.

If anyone is interested and wants some guidance from my 3 hours of play...I could write up a bit of a guide...but it is really clear other than the template that I would share and you can edit for your own use.

K
Old 01-26-2022, 12:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
You may want to check out DietPi https://dietpi.com/

I have been playing with this today and if I was not using unraid I think I would be using this.

They have images that run under Hyper-V on windows (and others) and I basically setup the VM, stepped through their setup, installed both docker and portainer using the software install menus and went to the IP:9002 link to portainer and there was docker running with a slick interface (the OS is Debian Linux)

I then created a Stack Custom Template (which I can share) that created a network and runs 2 SageTV servers on different IPs each with openDCT in them. My other SageTV clients (windows and linux) can see the new OpenDCT devices. Worked slick.

If anyone is interested and wants some guidance from my 3 hours of play...I could write up a bit of a guide...but it is really clear other than the template that I would share and you can edit for your own use.

K
I will try this today! Thanks for the tip. Signed up on Patreon.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I will try this today! Thanks for the tip. Signed up on Patreon.
Well after five days of struggling with an incomplete installation package from DietPi and convincing the support forum that it wasn't me, I have managed to install it on Hyper-v! The 'install software' screen shows Docker Build and Docker Compose - which one do I install for Sage? If you have time to write up the guide, I'd appreciate it, and if it starts with installing Docker on DietPi I'd appreciate it even more!
Old 01-31-2022, 10:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well after five days of struggling with an incomplete installation package from DietPi and convincing the support forum that it wasn't me, I have managed to install it on Hyper-v! The 'install software' screen shows Docker Build and Docker Compose - which one do I install for Sage? If you have time to write up the guide, I'd appreciate it, and if it starts with installing Docker on DietPi I'd appreciate it even more!
Sure... I will write something up and post it.

K
Old 02-01-2022, 10:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
After the DietPi struggle, and the prospect of dealing with it and Docker versus a fairly straightforward and known Windows platform, I decided to set up a Windows HyperV and use that for Sage. Thanks for the help and support; if it turns out Windows uses too much horsepower, I may still go the DietPi approach, but there's no hurry on my part for the guide.

Bill
Old 02-02-2022, 05:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
After the DietPi struggle, and the prospect of dealing with it and Docker versus a fairly straightforward and known Windows platform, I decided to set up a Windows HyperV and use that for Sage. Thanks for the help and support; if it turns out Windows uses too much horsepower, I may still go the DietPi approach, but there's no hurry on my part for the guide.

Bill
That's why many people opt to just use unRAID (as I did). You get all the benefits of linux but with a more easier-to-use frontend, especially for docker, with the added benefit of having a great NAS solution. And for less $100 for the license, that's not bad. Although I hear TruNAS is pretty decent as well, but, I don't have any experience with that.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Bill
OK. I was not quite done with the guide but incase anyone else is interested I will place the links here and can complete later if anyone is going to use this process.

Guide (WIP)
Docker Compose YAML

K