SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 05-29-2021, 06:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Updated SageTV Docker images

I've updated sagetv-server-java8, sagetv-server-java10 and sagetv-server-java11.

java7 and java9 can never be updated. Those java versions are no longer available to be downloaded and installed. (likely 8 will follow shortly).

The update fixes the sagetv installation problem (ie, it will now correctly use the new install location and not bintray).

The image also adds in telnet and python (these were requests from others)

UPDATE:
It appears that the Java 8 container is not working for some reason... Getting Java 8 installed was a chore as well, but I got it installed, but sagetv doesn't appear to work. I guess the Java 8 image will have to be deprecated/removed as well.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:31 AM
Sage Icon

On behalf of all docker users, thank you for your work on this. I'm currently using the java8 docker, so which java version would you recommend migrating to? Or should I stick with the java8 version for awhile, maybe until the bintray/plugin situation is resolved more? Also, any tips on doing the migration? Spinning up a brand new docker involves a bit of work, so any tips would be appreciated.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 05-29-2021, 07:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I've updated sagetv-server-java8, sagetv-server-java10 and sagetv-server-java11.

java7 and java9 can never be updated. Those java versions are no longer available to be downloaded and installed. (likely 8 will follow shortly).

The update fixes the sagetv installation problem (ie, it will now correctly use the new install location and not bintray).

The image also adds in telnet and python (these were requests from others)

UPDATE:
It appears that the Java 8 container is not working for some reason... Getting Java 8 installed was a chore as well, but I got it installed, but sagetv doesn't appear to work. I guess the Java 8 image will have to be deprecated/removed as well.
This only applies to Docker installs, the Java 8 problem etc.? Nice to see you back to help though
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 05-29-2021, 12:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
On behalf of all docker users, thank you for your work on this. I'm currently using the java8 docker, so which java version would you recommend migrating to? Or should I stick with the java8 version for awhile, maybe until the bintray/plugin situation is resolved more? Also, any tips on doing the migration? Spinning up a brand new docker involves a bit of work, so any tips would be appreciated.
I'd start with Java 11 , then Java 10, etc. (ie, newest to oldest). I was running java 11 on my server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
This only applies to Docker installs, the Java 8 problem etc.? Nice to see you back to help though
It applies to Docker installs here... but I suspect that finding and installing any java less than 10 will become harder and harder.
Old 05-29-2021, 01:10 PM
SageTVaholic

So it appears this is not a problem with the container, but rather, a problem with the latest sagetv linux build. It is built using jdk9 and there appears to be an issue when using jdk9 and targeting java 1.7 or 1.8. (as noted in this issue... https://github.com/lmdbjava/lmdbjava/issues/116)

This is the same error I'm seeing locally. I think the solution to build/compile using java8, but there are probably reasons why I used java9 in the travis file to begin with... but I'm not sure.

To be fair... at some point sagetv needs to be updated to use the latest java (16) and we should drop support for anything < 10.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:22 PM
Sage Icon

Jeff recently updated the dist to Xenial and also to JDK9. In the comments to that issue you posted it looks like JDK8 is actually still supported in Xenial. So for short term maybe the answer is to switch back to 8? That’s what others report has worked for them.

I’m not even sure why the dist was changed if trusty is still supported. Dists and jdk versions are all a bit of a mystery to me. For what it’s worth there is a classpath warning when compiling.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Jeff recently updated the dist to Xenial and also to JDK9. In the comments to that issue you posted it looks like JDK8 is actually still supported in Xenial. So for short term maybe the answer is to switch back to 8? That’s what others report has worked for them.

I’m not even sure why the dist was changed if trusty is still supported. Dists and jdk versions are all a bit of a mystery to me. For what it’s worth there is a classpath warning when compiling.
Yeah, that appears to be the solution (for now) if you still want to support java8.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Added Java 16 container

FYI, I added Java 16 container.

At this point, the only containers are Java 8, 11, and 16.

The Java 11 and 16 containers appear to work. BMT works, the SageTV Web UI works, but GSP and JSP do not work, so your mileage may vary.

I think SageTV has no issues with Java 11+ but I think the plugins, specifically the Web UI will need to be redone if you move forward with Java.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

I took a look on the Unraid app store, but I only see the old Java 7/8/9/10 docker images listed. I don't see the new one for Java 11 or 16.

Are there additional steps required to list these for Unraid?
Old 05-31-2021, 08:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

I took a look on the Unraid app store, but I only see the old Java 7/8/9/10 docker images listed. I don't see the new one for Java 11 or 16.

Are there additional steps required to list these for Unraid?
Probably... but, all you need to do is edit your sagetv docker settings and change the java8 to java16 in the repository and name fields, and then apply.

Attached Images
File Type: png unraid-sagetv-docker.png (16.1 KB, 689 views)
Old 05-31-2021, 11:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Probably... but, all you need to do is edit your sagetv docker settings and change the java8 to java16 in the repository and name fields, and then apply.

Simple enough change, but if I do that will it still use my existing wiz.bin file, or do I need to backup wiz.bin and then overlay the the new wiz.bin with my backed-up copy? Do any currently installed plugins remain, or do they need to be reinstalled fresh? If I make the change to say, java11, can I go back to java 8 if certain things don't work by just editing the docker settings again, or is there more to it than that?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm not very proficient on the inner workings of docker containers.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 05-31-2021, 02:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Simple enough change, but if I do that will it still use my existing wiz.bin file, or do I need to backup wiz.bin and then overlay the the new wiz.bin with my backed-up copy? Do any currently installed plugins remain, or do they need to be reinstalled fresh? If I make the change to say, java11, can I go back to java 8 if certain things don't work by just editing the docker settings again, or is there more to it than that?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm not very proficient on the inner workings of docker containers.
It's likely a good idea to backup anyways, but, in general, all the sagetv files and configuration is stored outside the container, do, changing from java8 to java11 or 16 should not affect your wiz.bin, plugins, etc. They should all remain in tact. I've done this many times without backing up. But of course as soon as I say, "don't back up" something bad will happen and it'll be my fault
Old 05-31-2021, 08:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Any ideas if it is likely that other plugins that might not work with the newer java versions? I am mainly concerned about the Jetty server for the web UI - I vaguely remember it being fussy about Java versions.

I guess I can play around a bit as hockey season ended tonight so nothing critical to record for the next little while
Old 06-01-2021, 04:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Any ideas if it is likely that other plugins that might not work with the newer java versions? I am mainly concerned about the Jetty server for the web UI - I vaguely remember it being fussy about Java versions.

I guess I can play around a bit as hockey season ended tonight so nothing critical to record for the next little while
My guess is that if you are going to have issues it'll be with the web server plugins I did get the server running under java 11 and 16 but some gsp pages and jsp pages failed, but, the basic web server worked ok. BMT also appears to work ok.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

looks like it just started working. I got a prompt on Unraid that an update is available for my Java8 SageTV docker!

Old 06-01-2021, 07:48 PM
SageTVaholic

@striker - so did you make that change and everything is working for you? So you are now using Java16 instead of Java 8? And does other stuff, like the SageTV Webserver still work?
Old 06-01-2021, 07:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
My guess is that if you are going to have issues it'll be with the web server plugins I did get the server running under java 11 and 16 but some gsp pages and jsp pages failed, but, the basic web server worked ok. BMT also appears to work ok.
What's the best way to back everything up so that I could go back to what I have today if some things don't work? Do I just back up my appdata\sagetv folder, or should I also backup the actual docker itself? If so, how do I do that?
Old 06-01-2021, 10:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
@striker - so did you make that change and everything is working for you? So you are now using Java16 instead of Java 8? And does other stuff, like the SageTV Webserver still work?
@wayner I have actually not done anything yet. Still running Java 8 in my bintray docker. Waiting for a good time to try the update and see what it does. Just wanted to mention that it appears that the Unraid app store detected that an update was available (or someone made the necessary changes to make the update visible)
Old 06-02-2021, 04:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
What's the best way to back everything up so that I could go back to what I have today if some things don't work? Do I just back up my appdata\sagetv folder, or should I also backup the actual docker itself? If so, how do I do that?
Not sure how you'd backup the container... but, yeah the appdata/sagetv includes your sagetv installation and configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
@wayner I have actually not done anything yet. Still running Java 8 in my bintray docker. Waiting for a good time to try the update and see what it does. Just wanted to mention that it appears that the Unraid app store detected that an update was available (or someone made the necessary changes to make the update visible)
Unraid detects if there is a newer image, and because there is a newer java8 image it will let know. The problem right now with the java8 image that is there, is that, it will install the latest sagetv linux build (that was one of the fixes), but that build has issues with Java8 So if you upgrade the web UI will stop working. It will work again in java16 but, some parts that rely on jsp/gsp will not work.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Is there any reason to upgrade? I am not sure that there are improvements that matter to me in the latest version, vs the version that I have installed. I am on 9.2.2 and the more recent changes are mainly to deal with extenders crashing due to certain types of images in the guide. But I almost never use the guide in the SageTV UI, so this bug only affected me when I consciously tried to see if it crashed my system.

I am also running a version of unRAID that is a couple of years old (6.4.1) and upgrading to the latest version also requires a few changes to do what happened with the DVB edition of unRAID.