SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:51 PM

Fedora 34 HD Homerun Mythtv replacement?

I'm not against installing a vm or installing from source but I would like to know a few things before I start down this path of using sagetv.

I see it is now open source?
Is it 100% free like mythtv?
Does it have a web interface like mythweb?
Can I get free channel listings over EIT like Mythtv?
Also will Sage support my HD Homerun tuner like mythtv does?

In mythweb I can click on a listing that I get over the air via EIT I click on a show and set it to record. I can also schedule regular recordings really easily on mythweb

I love mythweb after setting it up correctly but it was one hell of a pain setting it up. The setup program always crashes when making changes.

I'm hoping to try out sage tv I use fedora 34 and I can install mythtv via "dnf install mythtv" after I setup rpmfusion but not seeing sagetv on there yet is there a repo I can set for Fedora? Like I said I'm not apposed to install it from source or use maybe ubuntu in a vm to try it out? What is the easiest way?

Mythtv has a few clients that work although they admittedly are buggy and some I could not get working.(like the kodi version on xbox) There is always the option to download an asx file (uses vlc or similar program to watch the recording over the network) or download the .ts file (some kind of mpeg that it recorded) from mythweb and watch the recorded program but not live recordings. Watching after the recording works fine for my needs at this point.

Hoping to give a glimpse of how I use mythtv and maybe a sagetv user can give me a similar glimse into how sagetv works? And maybe some recommendations?
Old 05-29-2021, 06:49 AM
SageTVaholic

SageTV was an open, closed source, PVR written in Java. It was "open" in the sense that while the source code was closed it has a very open means of extending it, and the creators were always willing to step up and change the software, if needed, to enable new features, etc.

SageTV later got bought by Google, and when the happened the owners petitioned to have sagetv open sourced (which is is today). It is fully open source, and the Linux/Windows versions that we run today are built from the open source repo.

SageTV itself is 100% free, but, unless you are using some external way of getting guide data, then, you will likely need to pay a small fee (25/year I think) to get EPG data. Not to sagetv but to EPG provider (forget the name, but someone else will chime in, I'm sure).

I suspect the HDHomerun will work fine (although I have never done it), but I think others have.

SageTV has lots of plugins... there is a web plugin that allows you to schedule and manage recordings.

As for clients, there is the Linux placeshifter, Android MiniClient, HD300 (native sagetv hardware), and full Windows clients.

You can likely try sagetv fairly easily using Docker. You can see how to run it from docker using the following scripts...
https://github.com/stuckless/sagetv-...nServerTest.sh

Code:
./runServerTest.sh stuckless/sagetv-server-java11
and stop it...
Code:
./runServerTest.sh stuckless/sagetv-server-java11 stop
You can also install the packages directly (there isn't an app repo)...
https://github.com/OpenSageTV/sagetv.../tag/9.2.5.168

Unfortunately, though, you picked a really bad time to move to SageTV Most recently there have some issues with the package/plugin hosting (we were using bintray and they shut down). I think most of that is resolved now. There is still some active development in the community, but it has dwindled in the last few years.

I used to be an active developer here... but due to time constraints I basically retired from sagetv development and I no longer run a PVR. I intend to get back to it someday. BTW, I did use mythtv a very long time ago before moving to SageTV.

There is still a lot of passion in the community, where I'm sure many people will continue to run sagetv until such time that no one is left to support it.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
SageTV itself is 100% free, but, unless you are using some external way of getting guide data, then, you will likely need to pay a small fee (25/year I think) to get EPG data. Not to sagetv but to EPG provider (forget the name, but someone else will chime in, I'm sure).
The EPG provider is Schedules Direct. I just renewed last month, I can confirm the cost is $25/year.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 05-29-2021, 08:22 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinjeff View Post
In mythweb I can click on a listing that I get over the air via EIT I click on a show and set it to record.
Yes, Sage uses (free) over-the-air EIT to update its program guide for OTA channels. But as others have mentioned, Schedules Direct tends to be the preferred EPG provider.

The Sage User's Guide (pdf) can be found by searching these forums. Although written for Sage v7, it's still mostly applicable to today's v9. A somewhat newer version (with some v9 updates) is online at https://sagetv.fandom.com/wiki/Manual
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Code:
./runServerTest.sh stuckless/sagetv-server-java11
and stop it...
Code:
./runServerTest.sh stuckless/sagetv-server-java11 stop
Feeling like an idot.
It stared just fine using the above but I have no idea what to do after starting it. How do I connect to it?
Where is it's interface?
How to add tuners?
Old 06-06-2021, 01:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

Take a look at OpenDCT as a bridge for the network tuners to be added into Sagetv.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...hlight=openDCT
Old 06-06-2021, 05:02 AM
SageTVaholic

You are starting the server, and now you need to connect to it using a client.