SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 11-22-2019, 10:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

Lifetime PLEX Pass

Today Only.

Plex is selling a lifetime Plex Pass subscription for $90 through the end of today, down from the usual $120.

Use the code PLEX4LIFE to get the discount.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 11-22-2019, 11:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ugg.. trying to decide how much of a headache it would be to switch accounts since they refuse to give the discounts for existing Plex Pass members. It looks like we would lose all the "watched" status which would be a pretty big WAF issue without going in and manually editing the database files.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Was that for a straight-up lifetime purchase or upgrade?

I just started trying it out with a monthly subscription to see if it might help for my family when we are traveling.

I tried your PLEX4LIFE code on an upgrade and unfortunately, it didn't work. See attachment.

Update: Just tried to apply it to my monthly plex pass and got this message:

Quote:
This promotion code is valid only for new Plex Pass subscriptions and cannot be applied to existing subscriptions or for subscription plan upgrades.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nope.jpg (113.3 KB, 229 views)
OpenDCT 0.5.32 (64 bit)
Clients: HD300 (x2)
HDHR3-CC Prime 20220822 (Comcast CableCard) - 3 Tuners
HDFX-4K Flex 20220822 (OTA) - 4 Tuners

Last edited by CptKirk; 11-22-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:11 PM
SageTVaholic

In this age, I have learned not to purchase anything with "lifetime" access, as that is typically not a model that will sustain a business.

This is a generality, but has served me fairly well over the past 5 years or so.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
In this age, I have learned not to purchase anything with "lifetime" access, as that is typically not a model that will sustain a business.

This is a generality, but has served me fairly well over the past 5 years or so.
I'd agree that a business that ONLY has a lifetime model can't sustain itself, but software like plex, emby, etc, they offer both. I bought a plex lifetime membership so long ago that I can't remember how long ago it was, but it was cheap. Plex keeps increasing it, which I think is good (for plex in the long run). When I tried out emby i used the monthly subscription, tried it for a couple months and cancelled. If I were to keep it for 2 years then I would have paid for the cost of the lifetime, and personally I would have paid the lifetime, had I thought I might contineu to use it. There are lots of people that would rather just pay the monthly cost. And this is where i think plex, emby, etc all do well to offer both. If my only option for plex/emby were to pay monthly, and I thought that I'd be using it for the next 5 years... I would have looked at something free/opensource like say Jellyfin.

Kinda related to this... but I have a subscription to the Jebbrains suite of IDEs since I use them for Java, C, JavaScript, Python, etc. I like how they did it. I renew every year and it gets cheaper each time I renew (up to 3 years). If I ever cancel, then I "own" the version of their product that I last upgraded to, and I can continue to use that forever, but I'll never get an update. I think this is another good balance between subscription and lifetime ownership.