SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 08-11-2018, 09:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Online Content

So guys, I have playon. Works great with online content and sagetv, but however, with the new browsers of Edge and stuff, it seems like everything that playon was working with was Internet Explorer, and most online content now has moved away from it. I am just wander now what plug in if any does online video from different places similar to what playon does?
Old 08-13-2018, 01:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanchie21 View Post
So guys, I have playon. Works great with online content and sagetv, but however, with the new browsers of Edge and stuff, it seems like everything that playon was working with was Internet Explorer, and most online content now has moved away from it. I am just wander now what plug in if any does online video from different places similar to what playon does?
I, too, am interested in this. PlayOn is also giving me some problems.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I, too, am interested in this. PlayOn is also giving me some problems.
It's been a while but I think my UPnP plugin will work with PlayOn. It does not rely on any browser at all.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
It's been a while but I think my UPnP plugin will work with PlayOn. It does not rely on any browser at all.

Oh! That was my fault. I am not having a problem with SageTV, it is with PlayOn itself.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

yep it is playon itself, I don't know of anything else to use. I contacted play on and reported the problem but it hasn't been fix but they are working on it
Old 08-18-2018, 08:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

I might have to develop one on my own
Old 08-18-2018, 09:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanchie21 View Post
I might have to develop one on my own
I think many people are starting to flip it around the other way. Instead of how can we get a good online experience inside of sagetv, how can we get online content and sagetv on the same box. This is basically the experience of the Android MiniClient... ie, you get a great youtube, netflix, amazon, hulu, etc, experience coupled with a decent sagetv experience. (SageTV is just another app in the content apps arena).
Old 08-18-2018, 10:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I think many people are starting to flip it around the other way. Instead of how can we get a good online experience inside of sagetv, how can we get online content and sagetv on the same box. This is basically the experience of the Android MiniClient... ie, you get a great youtube, netflix, amazon, hulu, etc, experience coupled with a decent sagetv experience. (SageTV is just another app in the content apps arena).
Exactly. What STV does is far and away ahead of any other... eh... user interface(?). That is why I am so taken with PlayOn. Recording programs from the networks you listed and playing them back with SageTV is almost a necessity... once you experience STV.

And it is not that I am that upset with PlayOn. In fact, I am quite pleased. But I think it would motivate them a little to fix things faster if they had some competition. Currently they are like STV... in a class by themselves.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:04 AM
SageTVaholic

I had been meaning to get Playon running again, and I now see that it can't record anymore (Amazon Prime Video). After visiting the forum, it appears that this problem has been going on for months. Crud.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I had been meaning to get Playon running again, and I now see that it can't record anymore (Amazon Prime Video). After visiting the forum, it appears that this problem has been going on for months. Crud.

Not true. I am recording "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" s01e02 on Amazon Prime as I write this. (Doing this only because you asked.) I am having problems recording the "Closed Captioning" (which is one of the issues I referred to earlier) but everything seems to be happening as expected.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

I honestly don't care about the recording of it, but it is nice to have it. its how I get most of my movies now is from hulu or hbo go or other stuff. But as time goes on I.E which is what play on is based on is getting fazed out, I wander if Play on will go on and switch to edge or a browser on its own. It will be interesting, but in the mean time I have notified play on which it is their program that is having issues, that there is a problem with it and they are working on it.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:35 PM
Sage Icon

PlayOn pi**ed me off when they dropped ESPN without even a mention or a warning. I can still watch stuff live via casting the WatchESPN app to a TV but I preferred running it through the SageTV plugin because I could pause, rewind, etc. (dvr function) .

I still use it for lots of other content though. I got a lifetime pass years ago for like $39, and I've already gotten waaaaay more than $39 worth of enjoyment out of it, so I can't complain too much.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Not true. I am recording "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" s01e02 on Amazon Prime as I write this. (Doing this only because you asked.) I am having problems recording the "Closed Captioning" (which is one of the issues I referred to earlier) but everything seems to be happening as expected.
No, I'm pretty sure it's absolutely true. I can no longer record Amazon Prime video via Playon at my location, along with many other Playon users. I have tried numerous troubleshooting options, with no solution. Contacting Playon yields no response - and it's a fairly well documented problem. Playon won't say why it works for some and not for others, either because they can't figure it out, or they don't want to admit that Amazon/ISP's are shutting them down.

This is just one support post on it;
https://support.playon.tv/hc/en-us/c...ord-off-Amazon
Old 09-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

I installed PlayOn Desktop on my main Windows 10 machine and Amazon recordings would always fail part way through. It turns out that my old 6-core AMD wasn't up to the task. I had to change the PlayOn "Video Performance/Maximum video quality" setting from "Auto" to "High" and could not multi-task while it was recording. Only under these conditions would it finish recording. So, instead, I set up a Windows 10 VM on my headless unRAID server, installed PlayOn, and it records without issue (so far). The issue occurs when the CPU hits 100%.

Last edited by rrhorer; 09-05-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Needed to add a reason for the issue.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:49 PM
SageTVaholic

I doubt CPU usage is the problem. There is a deeper problem here that many Playon users can't get resolution for. I'm successfully logged into Amazon via Playon, but the recordings don't even start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg playon.jpg (287.3 KB, 170 views)
Old 09-05-2018, 11:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Could the problem be Amazon's buffering strategy or lack thereof? Netflix would record, no problem. On my system Amazon would start but never finish recording until I made the changes I described in my previous post. These changes were made based on a response from PlayOn support. It didn't make sense to me that it could be CPU related (with 6 cores); but the changes worked. My problem was that, if I did anything else at the same time, the recording would fail.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:00 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I doubt CPU usage is the problem. There is a deeper problem here that many Playon users can't get resolution for. I'm successfully logged into Amazon via Playon, but the recordings don't even start.
I have just concluded that Playon is forever a crapshoot. I've had it for several years and it works probably 50% of the time. For a long time it was that it didn't like the video card and its HDCP capabilities, which didn't make sense because it would work occasionally. Then when I moved it to a windows VM on unraid that doesn't have any kind of physical video card, support said it was due to the virtual ethernet adapter. Now that I updated UNRAID to the latest 6.5.3 version, tons of things are now working flawlessy on that same vm, including Playon. I recorded Jaws from Amazon yesterday upon reading this thread, but Vudu failed, probably because of HDCP. When I have a chance I'm going to put a video card on that VM and see what happens with Vudu.