SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Gemstone for v7
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gemstone for v7 This forum is for discussing the user-created Gemstone custom interface for SageTV.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Weather issues in Gemstone/Phoenix

While stuckless was working on cleaning up the phoenix code that Gemstone uses for the next releases of Gemstone2 and the phoenix core he noted that 2 of the 3 weather providers were failing the tests. It turns out that in the last few months both Yahoo! and World Weather have made changes to their Public API's.

For Yahoo! he was able to make changes to the code to use the new methods that Yahoo! changed in their public API. This of course will only work in future Gemstone releases based on the new release stuckless is working on of the phoenix core.

For World Weather they have now abandoned the free api and limited calls to 1000 per day for a key. The history is showing an average of 40-50000 calls per day so many users are hitting this service and getting failed weather updates. This service will be removed from the phoenix core so will also not be in Gemstone2.

For current Gemstone users this means that you are not likely getting good weather info from Yahoo! or World Weather so you should switch to using Weather Underground.

For Gemstone2 I may look at adding another provider like OpenWeatherMap (time permitting).

k
Old 07-15-2016, 01:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've always preferred WU for weather, but my HD300 (and the android client) will always default to WW no matter how often I switch to yahoo or WU for weather source. Is there any way to fix that?
Old 07-15-2016, 07:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf77 View Post
I've always preferred WU for weather, but my HD300 (and the android client) will always default to WW no matter how often I switch to yahoo or WU for weather source. Is there any way to fix that?
Yes, wait for Gemstone2 as its on the bug list so will get fixed.

k
Old 07-17-2016, 09:06 PM
SageTVaholic

I agree that WU is the way to go and you can also feed your own weather station data to it.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Is it possible to remove those bad providers?

There is a known (at least I am pretty sure you know about it) bug that causes you to have to reset your Weather Provider after SageTV restarts. Upon restart my system always shows the temp as 0F which is wrong in two ways. When clicking through the Providers my system will hang for several seconds when it gets to Yahoo. Can I just nuke it somewhere like in a properties file?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

Something recently changed in my SageTV on Unraid that makes the widgets for weather no longer show on the main screen.

If I arrow left it shows me the weather 'details' but the widgets for Current Weather and Forecast are just blank now.

IMAGE:
https://ibb.co/h1sGrQ
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT

Last edited by dstanley; 05-05-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstanley View Post
Something recently changed in my SageTV on Unraid that makes the widgets for weather no longer show on the main screen.

If I arrow left it shows me the weather 'details' but the widgets for Current Weather and Forecast are just blank now.

IMAGE:
https://ibb.co/h1sGrQ
Do you see an errors in the sagetv_0.txt?
Old 05-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Do you see an errors in the sagetv_0.txt?
Oh yeah - there are - although it is WAY over my head ...

Attached a zip of the file - thanks for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (97.3 KB, 347 views)
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
Old 05-05-2017, 12:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Did you try changing the weather source from Yahoo to Wunderground or something else in the Weather options screen?

p.s. You need a more creative server name than Tower.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Have you restarted your server to see if that resolves?

Gemstone is failing to calculate the panel sizes for the widgets which are created on startup or when the widgets are edited.

I would try a restart...if that does not resolve the post a log from just after the start as well as the gemstone.log file from the logs folder.

k
Old 05-06-2017, 07:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

My Sage ended up crashing during the news last night - must have been sick of all the crap lately - ha!
Had to force off my whole system but when it came back up my Gemstone issue with the weather was resolved.
So I am fine for now. Thanks for listening AND for all your Sagetv work!

Dwight
Old 05-06-2017, 07:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Did you try changing the weather source from Yahoo to Wunderground or something else in the Weather options screen?

p.s. You need a more creative server name than Tower.
I am in the same boat as you Wayner - my location seems to stick with Weather Underground now but always reverts to Standard and I need to change it to Metric each restart.

Unraid called this TOWER and if you look at the photos - I thought it was appropriate - ha!

Old 05-06-2017, 07:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstanley View Post
I am in the same boat as you Wayner - my location seems to stick with Weather Underground now but always reverts to Standard and I need to change it to Metric each restart.

Unraid called this TOWER and if you look at the photos - I thought it was appropriate - ha!
I know that unRAID calls every server Tower by default, but you should call it something more unique - like Alexander or Gretzky (I am from Ancaster originally)

Try the instructions here to fix the weather issue upon reboot, but change the WeatherUnits to Metric from standard.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I know that unRAID calls every server Tower by default, but you should call it something more unique - like Alexander or Gretzky (I am from Ancaster originally)

Try the instructions here to fix the weather issue upon reboot, but change the WeatherUnits to Metric from standard.
Actually the new simple way thanks to a frustrated stuckless is to go into BMT on the phoenix config and select weather and check the box to lock the settings and they should never change.

k
Old 01-18-2019, 05:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Any chance of getting Tom Miranda's new Darksky Weather Plugin integrated into Gemstone?
Weather Underground looks like they finally cut the cord on us.

Dwight
Old 01-18-2019, 07:51 PM
SageTVaholic

I am working on a solution. I have Yahoo working again and nearly done Dark Sky. You will need a DS developer key so feel free to get that soon.

Perhaps this weekend but no promises.

k
Old 01-20-2019, 08:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
I am working on a solution. I have Yahoo working again and nearly done Dark Sky. You will need a DS developer key so feel free to get that soon.

Perhaps this weekend but no promises.

k
Have you implemented radar images?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Have you implemented radar images?
No I have not.

k