SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Phoenix
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Phoenix This forum is for discussing the user-created Phoenix custom interface for SageTV.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Phoenix 3.0

Just gonna leave this here...

Last edited by bialio; 06-08-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Old 06-08-2016, 07:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Very nice! I may have a hard decision to make between this and when Gemstone 2 comes out.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 06-08-2016, 09:43 PM
SageTVaholic

I think Phoenix and Gemstone are different enough that you will have an easy decision if you get to the point of comparing them side by side.

Gemstone has so much customization that is built right into the UI that it boggles my mind. That was a lot of work. Those guys are full on awesome.

Phoenix is customizable to an extent - but it involves a bit of XML wrangling and other mods done outside the UI. I think most people that ended up using and liking P2 didn't change much at all. Even though these people are paragons of extreme taste and refinement -simple isn't for everyone.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Gemstone is awesome, there is clearly a lot of work that went into it and I have my install nicely customized. I really like how much can be done within the UI.

I was looking at Phoenix 2.0 for months to replace SageMC and got it really working well for my needs. The only thing that kept it off my TV's was the default fonts were a bit on the small side (my wife did not approve) and the only way I could fix it was to modify the STV which really isn't the way to go if you want to be able to upgrade with minimal effort. If there was a better way, I didn't find it.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
Gemstone is awesome, there is clearly a lot of work that went into it and I have my install nicely customized. I really like how much can be done within the UI.

I was looking at Phoenix 2.0 for months to replace SageMC and got it really working well for my needs. The only thing that kept it off my TV's was the default fonts were a bit on the small side (my wife did not approve) and the only way I could fix it was to modify the STV which really isn't the way to go if you want to be able to upgrade with minimal effort. If there was a better way, I didn't find it.
I could be wrong... but Phoenix uses a skin.properties file to control colors, fonts, etc... I would think the font sizes would be there as well... but maybe not.

@bialio - looks good.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

This is interesting. I still use and love the original Phoenix. I've been playing with Gemstone, but Phoenix 3 is intriguing...
Old 06-16-2016, 03:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
This is monumental! Gemstone may be great, but the number of options is mind-numbing to someone who only uses Sage for TV. I have stubbornly held onto Phoenix 2 and anxiously await 3.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Well, I'll be following this too, there are a few usability niggles with Gemstone that I just don't like* (no offense intended to the great work that it's creators have put in).

I also prefer the simple visual style I'm seeing above too. It reminds me of of the Ace skin for Kodi which I'm quite fond of.

I'll just throw out my issues with Gemstone so they can be food for thought:
  • It modifies the default Sage recordings view and makes it so that single items are in folders.
  • The VFS views/flows don't handle "back" correctly, hitting back in a flow returns to the main SageTV menu, instead of the parent view level
  • VFS views/flows don't remember where you were when you leave and come back.

FWIW, what I really want is something that styled a bit more modern, (like Ace and what you've got above), but doesn't radically change the stock Sage operation of main features (recordings, guide, etc), and adds handling of imported TV and movies with fanart.

That's basically what I have now, but it's split across Sage (recorded TV) and Kodi/Ace, which I use just for my ripped TV and Movies. I'd love to have something that combines the best of both.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Well, I'll be following this too, there are a few usability niggles with Gemstone that I just don't like* (no offense intended to the great work that it's creators have put in).

I also prefer the simple visual style I'm seeing above too. It reminds me of of the Ace skin for Kodi which I'm quite fond of.

I'll just throw out my issues with Gemstone so they can be food for thought:
  • It modifies the default Sage recordings view and makes it so that single items are in folders.
  • The VFS views/flows don't handle "back" correctly, hitting back in a flow returns to the main SageTV menu, instead of the parent view level
  • VFS views/flows don't remember where you were when you leave and come back.

FWIW, what I really want is something that styled a bit more modern, (like Ace and what you've got above), but doesn't radically change the stock Sage operation of main features (recordings, guide, etc), and adds handling of imported TV and movies with fanart.

That's basically what I have now, but it's split across Sage (recorded TV) and Kodi/Ace, which I use just for my ripped TV and Movies. I'd love to have something that combines the best of both.
That all sounds like it'd be more suited to just creating a new theme for the default STV (theming is something that the community never really got too serious with, as the few UI saavy developers were focusing on changing the UI's function as well, but the support is there).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Just gonna leave this here...
Wow. Good to have you back sir. Unless you've been back a while and I missed it...either way
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
That all sounds like it'd be more suited to just creating a new theme for the default STV (theming is something that the community never really got too serious with, as the few UI saavy developers were focusing on changing the UI's function as well, but the support is there).
Yeah, other than the TV show grouping isn't really there in the stock STV. You can sort of do it with folders, but it's not as nice as when it's based on metadata.

Anyway, I like what I'm seeing in the screenshots above, and look forward to giving Phoenix a try, hopefully it will fit my wants
Old 06-17-2016, 06:31 AM
SageTVaholic

The one thing I like about Gemstone and Phoenix is that they both use the VFS. So, in moving from Phoenix to Gemstone, or vice versa is an easy task. For me, Media really falls into 4 categories (or views).

1. Unwatched TV
2. All TV
3. Unwatched Movies
4. All Movies

The only other "view" I care about is "Upcomming Recordings" since that just helps be plan my viewing for the week.

Everyone is different, but, at least with the VFS you can tailor your experience to your needs. For things like TV I don't care if it's recorded or ripped, just that it's watched or unwatched. Similar to movies.

Looking forward to taking Phoenix 3 for spin. Is Phoenix 3 still using the menus xml?
Old 06-17-2016, 07:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, it'll use all the same framework as the previous Phoenix releases.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Strange... the image you posted isn't showing up in my browser (Pale Moon). I was reading the thread and realized people were talking about something they'd SEEN, so I opened the thread in IE and saw the screenshot. I thought this was just a text tease all this time.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 06-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Even though these people are paragons of extreme taste and refinement -simple isn't for everyone.
I'll take that as a great way to enlist me as a beta tester again haha

Grant
Old 06-24-2016, 11:28 AM
Sage Expert

I'm just switching to P2 to sort of get prepared.

I have been using Gemstone since it became available. And on my full client, it's pretty good. But on an old HD-200, it's sluggish, to say the least. So I setup P2 and it is WAY faster. I am quite pleased. As good as Gemstone is, it is far heavier than I need.

So I am looking forward to P3. Although the only thing I really need in the current P2 setup is a good PlayOn solution.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Couple of more shots.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Looks sweet!!
Old 07-21-2016, 09:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Very nice!