SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 06:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDing View Post
Wow.. This works really well!! That was the fastest I've ever gotten sage installed and recording. I think I saw the 30 day expiration notice when I logged in with my HD300. I put in my V7 license. Whas that the correct one to install? Or should it have been V6? My only other issue is I'm having trouble getting Sage and Plex to see/use the same libraries. But that's just my lack of Linux experience.
When you setup the unRAID docker container, did you paste your KEY in the activation key variable field? If so, it should put the key in the right place, unless there is an existing key file, in which case it'll do nothing.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:50 AM
SageTVaholic

I was going to give this a go with Docker for Windows - might make a much easier way for windows happy guys to get a 64-bit server up and running. First try wasn't good though, as the Toolbox was complaining about some networking configurations issues I need to track down (likely due to already having VirtualBox installed and configured).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
When you setup the unRAID docker container, did you paste your KEY in the activation key variable field? If so, it should put the key in the right place, unless there is an existing key file, in which case it'll do nothing.
Yes, I pasted my V7 key into the field. I saw something about a 30 day trial just flash by just before the first time setup questions came up. It didn't stop on that screen. It's just that I wasn't expecting to see it at all, which is why I noticed it. Perhaps it's just a remnant that the software flashes past now on its way to the setup. Or I imagined it. Either way I'm sure its fine.

Thanks,

Bobby
Old 06-05-2016, 12:08 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have no idea about Synology... But, for this to work, you will need to configure HOST networking (then you don't need to mess with ports) and you need to configure at least 2 VOLUME mappings.

/opt/sagetv/ needs to be mapped to a location on your NAS where sagetv will be installed.
/var/media/ meeds to be mapped to a location on your NAS where sagetv will record shows
/var/mediaext/ can be mapped to an alternate media share where you have music, videos, pictures, etc.

Beyond that, you might need to play with things to figure it out... I've never used (or heard of) synaology NAS.
Well, I was able to download & run the docker image, and after mapping the shares it is definitely working. I am able to connect to it from the Android client, at least. The thing that continues to confound me is how to get it to see the HDHomerun Connect. There is nothing showing up in the video sources and Sage seems to think that there are none installed. On the Synology NAS, both TVHeadend and VideoStation see the hdhomerun, so I'm stumped (again).
Old 06-05-2016, 03:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDing View Post
Yes, I pasted my V7 key into the field. I saw something about a 30 day trial just flash by just before the first time setup questions came up. It didn't stop on that screen. It's just that I wasn't expecting to see it at all, which is why I noticed it. Perhaps it's just a remnant that the software flashes past now on its way to the setup. Or I imagined it. Either way I'm sure its fine.

Thanks,

Bobby
Are you using a trial version of unRAID?
Old 06-07-2016, 04:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k3g View Post
Well, I was able to download & run the docker image, and after mapping the shares it is definitely working. I am able to connect to it from the Android client, at least. The thing that continues to confound me is how to get it to see the HDHomerun Connect. There is nothing showing up in the video sources and Sage seems to think that there are none installed. On the Synology NAS, both TVHeadend and VideoStation see the hdhomerun, so I'm stumped (again).
The only thing that I can think of here is that maybe you are using a private network for the docker, so it can't see the external network devices. On unraid I set it to use host mode (I think -- not at home and I can't check)... but in that mode the docker container shares the same hetwork as the host, so it sees all the network traffic. That is about the only thing that I can see affecting why you'd not see the HDHomeruns.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k3g View Post
Would it be possible to use this docker container on a synology NAS? I have Docker running on my nas, and was able to download/run the container, but beyond that I'm lost. I tried setting the external/internal ports to 5560/8080, but when I try to access it doesn't work.

I'm a docker novice, but it would be great to have this running on my NAS and not have to maintain a separate SageTV server. Just can't quite figure out how to accomplish it.

I have an HDHomerun Connect. It works 'ok' with TvHeadend on the synology, but I'd much rather use Sage.

Thanks for any input.
I was able to get it running on Synology. You will need the latest release version of Docker installed in order to do the Docker Host networking, Synology just updated it a few days ago. To use the Docker Host there is a check box at the bottom of the Port Settings tab. I'm having a bit of an issue where comskip isn't processing the recordings however everything else seems to be working. It finds my HDHomerun tuners as well.

Docker Version 1.11.1-0265
DSM 6.0.1-7393
Old 06-10-2016, 09:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am trying to get this running on my Synology NAS too. Mine wasn't updated to the latest DSM, but once I upgraded to it, the new version of Docker was available.

I've seen a couple of posts talking about an unRAID setting for your Sage License key... How do I go about adding my license to my Docker installation, since I'm not running on unRAID?
Old 06-10-2016, 09:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok - Figured that out... The activkey file just needs to be dropped into the server directory.

SageTV sees my HDHomerun tuners, and I can add them and set up channels, but when I tried to play back channels, it shows "No Signal".

Under Windows, I had installed openDCT and it worked pretty well. Is that still required (even though it can see my tuners?)

I'm trying to get this going quickly, as I seem to have blown away my MythTV VM accidentally tonight, so it seems like a good time to try to switch back to SageTV. It was on iSCSI on my Synology, and after the NAS upgrade, my ESXi server didn't see the Datastore. I repointed it there, but it doesn't look like there's anything left from before...

Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-11-2016, 09:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I agree... i think that OpenDCT doesn't need to be in the same Docker image, but could be a separate image. I'd actually do it, but since I have no way to really test it, not sure I'm the best person here. I'd be more than willing to help someone, and, even host the unRAID template in my repo.

Ideally the Docker image should probably just download install the latest OpenDCT when it starts (which is what sagetv docker image does... that way, I'm not publishing new images every couple of weeks).
Stuckless,

I would be willing to test a docker image of OpenDCT, if you would be willing to create one. I've gotten your Docker image running on a Synology NAS, and can connect to it via the Android client.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-11-2016, 04:14 PM
Sage Expert

Just trying out this docker now and seems to be working great so far.

One thing I cannot find under Setup -> Detailed Setup -> Server I have nothing displayed, I was hoping I could find options to enable the Extender and Placeshifter support here.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

edit: OK, seems you there is no GUI option you need to enable it in sage.properties via enable_media_extender_server=true

Last edited by starfire; 06-11-2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Found out solution
Old 06-13-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaylor View Post
SageTV sees my HDHomerun tuners, and I can add them and set up channels, but when I tried to play back channels, it shows "No Signal".
I had no problem with signal however I did reboot my tuners and my Sagetv as I took the opportunity to move some networking around.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

stuckless,
Super minor thing, but any reason why you used http://[IP]:[PORT:8080] instead of http://[IP]:[PORT:8080]/apps for the Web URL in the Docker template.

Also, I think you said that you're using Java 8. Are you not using BMT?
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 06-16-2016, 05:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfi33 View Post
stuckless,
Super minor thing, but any reason why you used http://[IP]:[PORT:8080] instead of http://[IP]:[PORT:8080]/apps for the Web URL in the Docker template.

Also, I think you said that you're using Java 8. Are you not using BMT?
I do use java 8. BMT works with java 8.

I used the / instead of /apps/ because /apps/ doesn't appear to work with Java 8. At least / gives me an index of the apps (just not very pretty)
Old 06-16-2016, 07:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I do use java 8. BMT works with java 8.

I used the / instead of /apps/ because /apps/ doesn't appear to work with Java 8. At least / gives me an index of the apps (just not very pretty)
BMT works with Java 8? Interesting! I guess I need to play with your Java 8 version of the Docker a bit more because it's not too clear to me what does and doesn't work.

I had assumed I would want to stay with Java 7 but after very brief testing, it looks like both BMT (like you said) and the Web Interface are working fine for me....so now I'm not sure why I wouldn't want to go ahead with Java 8. I can certainly live with the not-so-pretty index page if that's the only drawback.
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 06-16-2016, 08:26 PM
SageTVaholic

MOST of the jetty stuff works in java 8, but there are few functions from the web ui that will not work. It's enough to recommend to most users to stick to 7 for now, to avoid the problems later on.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-17-2016, 06:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfi33 View Post
BMT works with Java 8? Interesting! I guess I need to play with your Java 8 version of the Docker a bit more because it's not too clear to me what does and doesn't work.

I had assumed I would want to stay with Java 7 but after very brief testing, it looks like both BMT (like you said) and the Web Interface are working fine for me....so now I'm not sure why I wouldn't want to go ahead with Java 8. I can certainly live with the not-so-pretty index page if that's the only drawback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
MOST of the jetty stuff works in java 8, but there are few functions from the web ui that will not work. It's enough to recommend to most users to stick to 7 for now, to avoid the problems later on.
On Java 8, BMT, Sage Web UI, and Sage Mobile UI all work (for me). The /apps/ does not work for me, I get a "Jasper" error. So not sure why sage web and the mobile web work, but not the apps.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:34 PM
Sage Expert

Finally got my unRAID v6.2 setup and working, so obviously, first thing I did was install the sageTV docker...

works mostly...
Gemstone is giving me some pheonix errors... not sure whats up with that...

why can't I set my old unraid setup that currently houses all my movies up as a video location? I can get to anywhere on the network from within sage...

I am not sure I understand this whole docker drive mapping thing, how will I be able to assign my 2 3TB recording drives as dedicated recording drives once I am ready to shut down my old sage server and move them over onto the unraid/sage box? if I make them "cache" drives, wont unraid try to pool them and raid them? is there anyway to get unraid to not raid the drives? not sure I care about the pooling so much, just dont want to lose 3TB of drive space...
Old 06-20-2016, 02:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
Finally got my unRAID v6.2 setup and working, so obviously, first thing I did was install the sageTV docker...

works mostly...
Gemstone is giving me some pheonix errors... not sure whats up with that...

why can't I set my old unraid setup that currently houses all my movies up as a video location? I can get to anywhere on the network from within sage...

I am not sure I understand this whole docker drive mapping thing, how will I be able to assign my 2 3TB recording drives as dedicated recording drives once I am ready to shut down my old sage server and move them over onto the unraid/sage box? if I make them "cache" drives, wont unraid try to pool them and raid them? is there anyway to get unraid to not raid the drives? not sure I care about the pooling so much, just dont want to lose 3TB of drive space...
You might be missing the point of unRAID, if you are trying to set it up and not use a parity drive... Otherwise, you might as well, just use a linux server, or windows server.

As for drive mappings, unRAID has a great concept of "shares". So when you setup unRAID, you might have 1 or more drives and then you create various "shares" that can utilize those drives.

For example, you an have a "recordings" share that is allowed to use all drives, and uses a cache drive as well. Typically cache drives are SSD drives. unRAID will write initially to the cache drive and then move to the 'real' location transparently to you.

I also have a "share" for "media" where I store my ripped tv, movies, music, etc. This share uses all disks, but does not use a cache (no point in a cache for this type of stuff).

I have a share of "apps" which is where my app configurations are stored. I don't use a cache for this, but you could.

So, when configuring the docker container, there is a volume mapping for "/var/media/" which I have mapped to "/mnt/user/recordings" (ie, uses my "recordings" share)

/var/mediaext is mapped my /mnt/user/media (ie, uses my "media" share).

When you setup sagetv using HD300 or MiniClient, it will automatically set your recordings dir to /var/media/tv/ (so your recordings share will now get a "tv" folder).

When you setup other media folders, you can browse to /var/mediaext/ and it will point to your "media" share and if you have subfolders, etc, you can just add them.

There is no need to use network mappings, etc, you an access all files directly.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Sage Expert

I just don't see the need for parity checking of TV shows...seems like a lot of extra calcluations for a file that just gets deleted after being watched anyway...
as for limiting recordings to just 2 drives, that is due to the fact that I wear out recording drives relitivily quickly...I wouldn't want to wear out a share drive with movies and data on it... wont the Cache drives wear out if you write >100G per day?

I am confused, how is there no need for network mappings? currentlty all my movies are still on my original D525 based v5beta unraid box as I do not have enough HDD space on my new box yet... and the plan is to keep the original unraid box up an running, and use it to backup the shiny new v6 unraid box as soon as I get some more HDD's for the new box...
but for now just mapping to old unraid box seems like it would be the best option? if not network mapping then how?