SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Thumbs up SageTV Server Linux with Comskip for Docker (and unRAID) Support Thread

I've recently setup an unRAID server at home and I'm now trying virtualize my other servers (sagetv, and few other misc things) as docker containers in it.

I've created a SageTV unRAID template that will install SageTV and keep it updated on reboots. (ie, each time the container starts, it will check for a newer sagetv, and if it exists, it will download and install it).

The unRAID template URL is
https://github.com/stuckless/sagetv-...uckless-sagetv

If you have the Community Applications unRAID plugin installed, then you can search for SageTV and install one of the 2 listed templates listed below.

There are 2 templates for SageTV (you might see more, but these are 2 you are concerned with)
  • stuckless-sagetv-server-java7 - SageTV running on Java 7
  • stuckless-sagetv-server-java8 SageTV Server running on Java 8

There are Java 7 and Java 8 versions available, so I'd recommend using the Java 8 versions. The Java 7 versions are there mainly to appease Jetty (although, I appear to be using Java 8 and Jetty is working fine, for the most part).

Both images contain the linux version of comskip that can run on h264 ts files (in addition to mpeg2 files). NOTE: You still need to install the SageTV Commercial Detector plugin and the Commercial Detector UI plugin.

When you use the template it lists a bunch of PORTS that you can configure. It's not used when networking is set to "host" mode, since, all ports are forwarded in that mode. SageTV really needs to run in "host" mode. If not, then when you connect to the server, it might think that you are running on a remote network, and treat your clients as placeshifter clients. You can play with this, if you want, but for the most part, using host is recommended.

There are 3 paths that you need to configure
/opt/sagetv/
This is the path to where sagetv will be installed. Under this share it will create a "server" directory, if it does not exist and it will upgrade/install sagetv.
NOTE1: Since this lives outside the docker container, then, all the settings (Sage.properties) and Wiz.bin will survive if you remove the docker container, or upgrade, it etc.
NOTE2: You can upgrade your existing SageTV by putting your existing sagetv files in the server directory BEFORE you start the docker container.

/var/media
This is the path to the SageTV recordings structure. Under this share will be "tv", "videos", "music", and "pictures" folders. I only the user "tv", personally, I have this on a cache drive for recordings.

/var/mediaext
This is the path to all other SageTV media. ie, this is where I put ripped content. It's not on a cache drive. The structure can be whatever you want.

By default unRAID will also expose the /mnt/user/ share as /unraid to the SageTV container, so, if you really do need more access to your shares you can use that. Or you can add additional mappings.

Lastly, there are several OPT_ options that you can configure.

OPT_GENTUNER
If set to Y then it will download and install gentuner. gentuner is used to if you are using an external tuner command to control a STB.

OPT_COMMANDIR
if set to Y is then it will download and install command IR. Command IR is a usb IR channel changing piece of hardware that supports multiple emitters. (While this is a great product, I do think the company that makes it is defunct)

OPT_COMSKIP
If set to Y this this configures the SageTV properties to work with comskip, setting the default user and paths, and copying the linux comskip to /opt/sagetv/comskip/ folder and adding a default ini file

Using the Docker Containers without unRAID
All the containers are on my docker hub account
https://hub.docker.com/r/stuckless/

If you are running linux, you can pull the docker using
Code:
docker pull stuckless/sagetv-server-java8
To run it, you can use a command similar to...
Code:
docker run -d --name sagetv-server \
  -v /home/seans/unRAID/mnt/user/sagemedia:/var/media \
  -v /home/seans/unRAID/mnt/user/mediaext:/var/mediaext \
  -v /home/seans/unRAID/mnt/user/apps/sagetv3:/opt/sagetv \
  -v /home/seans/unRAID:/unraid \
  --net host \
  --env PUID=1000 \
  --env PGID=1000 \
  --env VIDEO_GUID=19 \
  --env OPT_GENTUNER=Y \
  --env OPT_COMMANDIR=Y \
  --env OPT_COMSKIP=Y \
  --env JAVA_MEM_MB=768 \
  --env VERSION=latest \
  --env OPT_SETPERMS=Y \
  --privileged \
  -t -i stuckless/sagetv-server-java8
Be sure to replace the Left Hand Side of those -v mappings with physical locations on your host computer.

The docker container sources are on github.
https://github.com/stuckless/sagetv-dockers

Last edited by jusjoken; 12-29-2021 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Updated docker run to include all variables
Old 04-27-2016, 06:23 AM
SageTVaholic

[reserved]

[Reserved]
Old 04-28-2016, 05:33 AM
SageTVaholic

I've just upated the images to include comskip support. NOTE, the -wine images are removed, since it is no longer needed. So there is just sagetv-server-java7 and sagetv-server-java8.

If you installed this previously then remove the container (and delete files -- it's an option in the docker menu when you click on the icon in unraid), and then re=install using the -java7 or -java8 template.

NOTE: Removing Docker and it's fiels DOES NOT remove your sagetv files (ie, media and wiz.bin, etc). Those files are stored outside of the Docker container so that they are never removed by Docker.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:49 AM
Sage Icon

THanks, looking forward to playing with it this weekend.

Can you clarify which tuners you know (or believe) that this will work with?
Old 04-28-2016, 08:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
THanks, looking forward to playing with it this weekend.

Can you clarify which tuners you know (or believe) that this will work with?
Unforuntately, I can only say that it works with the HDPVR, since that is what I use. I would likely work with any network based tuner as well, ie, OpenDCT, etc. As for physical hardware, you'd have to check out the unRAID DVB plugin and see what kernel drivers it is sporting. ie, even for HDPVR I had to install that plugin to get the device drivers at the unRAID kernel level, so that the Docker container could utilize it.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:32 AM
SageTVaholic

HDHRs worked out of the box, no plugins necessary.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

This is awesome. Now I just have to find time to give it a try! Did I mention awesome?

Clients: PC Client x 1, HD-300 x 1, AppleTV x 2, WebClient (phone/tablet) x 3
Old 04-29-2016, 04:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Just a note that SageTV can be found in the Community Application unRAID plugin as well... just search for SageTV. (the first post has been updated to reflect this).
Old 04-30-2016, 02:25 PM
Sage Icon

Sean -

just curious if the comskip that you have working in the docker is something that can be used for more traditional (eg, Ubuntu) Linux installs?

if so, any hints in doing so?
Old 04-30-2016, 02:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
Sean -

just curious if the comskip that you have working in the docker is something that can be used for more traditional (eg, Ubuntu) Linux installs?

if so, any hints in doing so?
For sure... In fact tmiranda is looking to update the comskip plugin to work with it. For the docker containers I did some hacks to get it works with the existing plugin, but I'll undo those hacks once the new comskip plugin is available.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:41 PM

I've been trying to get the java 8 version to work on unraid, but port 8080 doesn't work at all. Is there another frontend gui that I'm unaware of? The logs seem to show it working fine.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:32 PM
Sage Icon

I don't get anything at port 8080, but my client sees the server and I was able to setup my HD HomeRun tuners.

david

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs5221 View Post
I've been trying to get the java 8 version to work on unraid, but port 8080 doesn't work at all. Is there another frontend gui that I'm unaware of? The logs seem to show it working fine.

Last edited by lovingHDTV; 05-01-2016 at 06:54 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-02-2016, 05:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs5221 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV View Post
I don't get anything at port 8080, but my client sees the server and I was able to setup my HD HomeRun tuners.

david
So the obvious first question... Did you install the Jetty Server plugin (Sage Web Server plugins) whatever it is called.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:48 AM
Sage Icon

Well, when I did that it works

thanks
david

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
So the obvious first question... Did you install the Jetty Server plugin (Sage Web Server plugins) whatever it is called.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:07 PM
Sage Icon

One more question.

In my current setup I have to have the recording directories on the server have the same path as each client. I run clients on my HTPC, etc.

I'm not sure how I do this with the docker. In my current windows I have the TV path set to: \\sage-server\F\Videos

I can use that UNC path on each of the client PCs and everything works. I'm not sure how I get /var/media to work on the client PCs. Or has the restriction of keeping the same exact path be lifted?

Not sure what I'm missing.

thanks
david
Old 05-02-2016, 07:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV Key

Wow, that went in very fast.

Just hit a little snag where I couldn't find guide data when trying to select my HDHR's. Wondering if there is a way to add the SageTV key as a docker variable? i.e. OPT_SageTVKey "XXXXXXXXXX"

If not, can you confirm that this would be the location to put the "activkey" file?

/mnt/user/SageTV/server
This is the same place I see the Wiz.bin file.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Sage Icon

That is where I put mine, and it works.

david

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugenbdd View Post
Wow, that went in very fast.

Just hit a little snag where I couldn't find guide data when trying to select my HDHR's. Wondering if there is a way to add the SageTV key as a docker variable? i.e. OPT_SageTVKey "XXXXXXXXXX"

If not, can you confirm that this would be the location to put the "activkey" file?

/mnt/user/SageTV/server
This is the same place I see the Wiz.bin file.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
That is where I put mine, and it works.

david
Thanks for the confirmation.

Was able to get past the guide selection screen. But I need to figure out how to configure to get ClearQAM to work now. It's not finding any channels when I scan. So on to do some research and see if maybe I need to update firmware on my HDHR's.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Sage Icon

OK I see that I can playback files without sharing the path to the files.

When I go to install the commercial detector UI, I cannot install it on the server, because it says I need to run from a placershifter, extender for directly from the server.

As the server is a docker, is there a way to attach to it to do this install? Or any other way to get it installed?

I also read that the client needs direct access to the edl files for comskip to work. maybe this was the reason I had to allow the client to have access to the files?

thanks
david
Old 05-02-2016, 09:04 PM
Sage Icon

I installed the placeshifter and that allowed me to install the server plugins. You can have this and the client installed on the same machine. It worked out just fine.

Quote:
OK I see that I can playback files without sharing the path to the files.

When I go to install the commercial detector UI, I cannot install it on the server, because it says I need to run from a placershifter, extender for directly from the server.

As the server is a docker, is there a way to attach to it to do this install? Or any other way to get it installed?
turns out that it is comskip that requires you to be able to see the edl files. I'm not sure how to do this, because I don't think I can use smb paths inside the docker. How has everyone else handled the comskip issue?

thanks
david
Quote:
I also read that the client needs direct access to the edl files for comskip to work. maybe this was the reason I had to allow the client to have access to the files?

thanks
david
Closed Thread