SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 03:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV View Post
In my testing of UNC paths, I found that I had to add mount.cifs to the docker to get it to browse network paths. It wasn't hard, but each time the docker restarts you lose the changes.

Can we get mount.cifs added to the base docker image?

thanks,
david
It's been added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvymetal View Post
1. I'm new to unRaid and Docker how do you use the OPT_ settings?
2. When I log on with a new client I get the wizard screens but it ask me to select a TimeZone but there is nothing in the list. See screen shot below. I tried to change the Timezone in the setting file but it does not work and the time is always offset. How do you fix this?
3. How do you change Java Heap Size in the docker?
4. I wanted to change my .properties and copy over my wiz.bin from the windows share but permissions were not letting I had to login remotely and
do the following

cd /mnt
cd user
chmond -R 777 *
Is this normal?
OPT_ settings are just Y or N settings. If you don't know what they do, then just leave them at the default settings

In the absolute latest image (just pushed it), You can set the java memory. By default it's has 768mb which is plenty for 1-3 extenders.

As for the permissions, that sounds about right... The container runs as root (admin), so it will set the permissions to that as well.

As for the TimeZone issue... I've never seen that... I would start with a clean sagetv area and see how that goes, then copy over your other wiz.bin later once you know the unraid/sagetv parts are working.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
In the absolute latest image (just pushed it), You can set the java memory. By default it's has 768mb which is plenty for 1-3 extenders.
Where do you change the setting?

Quote:
It's been added.
As for the TimeZone issue... I've never seen that... I would start with a clean sagetv area and see how that goes, then copy over your other wiz.bin later once you know the unraid/sagetv parts are working.
This only happens in the Java7 container
Old 05-14-2016, 06:57 PM
SageTVaholic

It appears for unRAID to pick up the new template, you'll have to remove your current docker container, and then add it again using my template, and you should see 2 new variables that you can configure.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

Docker Benefits?

What benefits does using a docker container have over a physical server? I know nothing about docker, but am looking to move my STV server from 32 bit Windows to 64 bit Linux so I can bump up the heap size.

Tonight I set up a physical server with Ubuntu 14.04, put docker on it and set up this container. It worked great in that the Sage server showed up on my network and I was able to log in using a Placeshifter client to configure things. However, I'm having some issues with getting configurations to stick between connections and using SMB mounts for recording locations.

I'm wondering if I should put more time in a docker solution or focus on a straight Ubuntu Linux solution.

My main concern is that by keeping my storage pooling solution on Windows shares I will run into bottlenecks. I want to test this, though.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
What benefits does using a docker container have over a physical server? I know nothing about docker, but am looking to move my STV server from 32 bit Windows to 64 bit Linux so I can bump up the heap size.

Tonight I set up a physical server with Ubuntu 14.04, put docker on it and set up this container. It worked great in that the Sage server showed up on my network and I was able to log in using a Placeshifter client to configure things. However, I'm having some issues with getting configurations to stick between connections and using SMB mounts for recording locations.

I'm wondering if I should put more time in a docker solution or focus on a straight Ubuntu Linux solution.

My main concern is that by keeping my storage pooling solution on Windows shares I will run into bottlenecks. I want to test this, though.
If you are setting up a linux server, then you probably don't need to also use docker... but what the docker container provides is this...

1. SageTV will be automatically installed/upgraded to the latest version when the container restarts.
2. Comskip will be installed
3. The container allows for you to easily put sagetv and the media files anywhere on your host system.

I built this because I moved to a beefy unRAID server and I decided to run sagetv and plex and few other things as docker containers, which unRAID supports quite nicely.

If you are losing configurations between restarts, then I'm wondering if you haven't specified the 3 volume for /opt/sagetv/ /var/media/ and /var/mediaext/. If you start the docker container without the volumes, then, all data and sagetv is stored IN the container and it will get wiped on a restart.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I built this because I moved to a beefy unRAID server and I decided to run sagetv and plex and few other things as docker containers, which unRAID supports quite nicely.
Yup this is really the big reason, if you already have a system that supports Docker (like unRAID), it's incredibly simple to add SageTV to it. If you're building a system just for Sage, there's not a big reason to run it in Docker.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

When using this Docker in unRAID, how do you set your license key? I saw something about putting it in an activkey file in the same folder that the Sage.jar is in. For me, this is: \\tower\appdata\sagetv

However, this folder seems to get created with permissions that prevent me from writing to it via SMB. Is that the way the permissions are supposed to be set?

Also, how do you use the OPT_ options when installing this Docker with unRAID? Would I need to do it from the CLI instead of using the Community Applications plugin (like in the example command for installing it without unRAID)?
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 05-27-2016, 06:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfi33 View Post
When using this Docker in unRAID, how do you set your license key? I saw something about putting it in an activkey file in the same folder that the Sage.jar is in. For me, this is: \\tower\appdata\sagetv

However, this folder seems to get created with permissions that prevent me from writing to it via SMB. Is that the way the permissions are supposed to be set?

Also, how do you use the OPT_ options when installing this Docker with unRAID? Would I need to do it from the CLI instead of using the Community Applications plugin (like in the example command for installing it without unRAID)?
The unraid template has a spot for the licence key data. If you don't see it then you might need to remove the sagetv docker and install it again from the community applications. As for the OPT_ configurations... if you don't understand what they are, then likey you don't need them, or you can leave them as defaults.

Currently the sagetv docker runs as root, which means it's files are also owned by root. At some point I need to modify the container to run as a separate user. It's on my todo list.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
The unraid template has a spot for the licence key data. If you don't see it then you might need to remove the sagetv docker and install it again from the community applications. As for the OPT_ configurations... if you don't understand what they are, then likey you don't need them, or you can leave them as defaults.

Currently the sagetv docker runs as root, which means it's files are also owned by root. At some point I need to modify the container to run as a separate user. It's on my todo list.
I think understand what the OPT_ configs do based on your descriptions...just couldn't find them. I won't use any of those features on this server so I thought maybe I should remove them.

Anyway, I found the spot for the license key and the OPT_ configs. I didn't see the "Advanced" settings toggle in for the Docker template in unRAID. Once I flipped that toggle, there they were. Doh! Still learning my way around both unRAID and Docker.

Seems like it might make sense to make /opt/sagetv/ accessible to write to from the SMB user share. This way users could more easily manipulate Sage.properties, ChannelLogos, etc.

Looking forward to playing with this Docker. Thanks for putting it together.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I think understand what the OPT_ configs do based on your descriptions...just couldn't find them. I won't use any of those features on this server so I thought maybe I should remove them.

Anyway, I found the spot for the license key and the OPT_ configs. I didn't see the "Advanced" settings toggle in for the Docker template in unRAID. Once I flipped that toggle, there they were. Doh! Still learning my way around both unRAID and Docker.

Seems like it might make sense to make /opt/sagetv/ accessible to write to from the SMB user share. This way users could more easily manipulate Sage.properties, ChannelLogos, etc.

Looking forward to playing with this Docker. Thanks for putting it together.
Which version of unRAID are you using? I'm running 6.21beta, so all those OPT_ and vars are on the main pain and not in the advanced section. Wondering if maybe different versions are presenting this information in a different way.

And yeah, I agree, I need make /opt/sagetv/ accessible to unRAID users so that they can manipulate it... I never really ran into this issue, since I run Linux, and I didn't use smb to connect, but rather ssh, so I already have full permissions.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Which version of unRAID are you using? I'm running 6.21beta, so all those OPT_ and vars are on the main pain and not in the advanced section. Wondering if maybe different versions are presenting this information in a different way.

And yeah, I agree, I need make /opt/sagetv/ accessible to unRAID users so that they can manipulate it... I never really ran into this issue, since I run Linux, and I didn't use smb to connect, but rather ssh, so I already have full permissions.
Yep, that must be it. I'm using unRAID 6.1.9. I don't see the Environment Variables section unless I turn on the "Advanced View".
Old 05-30-2016, 11:54 AM
Sage User

Stuckless, thanks for the Docker.

Got Sage mostly running this weekend. Finally dropped WHS.

The only thing I have left to figure out is Ir.

I have 3 HD PVRs connected to TWC boxes. I was previously using FireWire for channel changes on two of the boxes & Ir for a newer box TWC gave me after one SA box died.

How are any of you getting Ir to work?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think the version of Comskip included in this Docker (0.81.089) has problems running while the recording is still going. If I enable the option to "Start comskip as Soon as Recording Starts," Comskip will crash after a few seconds. I had this same problem on my Windows server so I had to revert back to 0.81.076 which seems to work fine.

Is there a way to use a different version of Comskip in this Docker?
Old 05-31-2016, 06:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbtex View Post
Stuckless, thanks for the Docker.

Got Sage mostly running this weekend. Finally dropped WHS.

The only thing I have left to figure out is Ir.

I have 3 HD PVRs connected to TWC boxes. I was previously using FireWire for channel changes on two of the boxes & Ir for a newer box TWC gave me after one SA box died.

How are any of you getting Ir to work?
For IR I'm using a device called CommandIR. While the still have a website, it doesn't appear that they are actually in business, which is too bad, because CommadnIR is great device and very reliable. The unRAID image installs gentuner which is a commandline tuner... You still need to create the script for changing channels. Unfortunately, channel changing with IR is not an easy thing to setup on linux (from my experience). While sagetv has LIRC support, you'll need to find a device that works with LIRC and Linux. (not sure is usb-uirt has linux support).

Quote:
I think the version of Comskip included in this Docker (0.81.089) has problems running while the recording is still going. If I enable the option to "Start comskip as Soon as Recording Starts," Comskip will crash after a few seconds. I had this same problem on my Windows server so I had to revert back to 0.81.076 which seems to work fine.

The version of comskip is the version from the open source repo... not sure what version it is, but I built it from sources. This is also a "native" linux version and not a WINE/Windows version, sine Wine doesn't run well under 64bit unRAID setup.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:34 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:

Do you have live_tv=1 set in the comskip.ini?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
Do you have live_tv=1 set in the comskip.ini?
Yep. live_tv=1 is set in the comskip.ini.

These are the errors that show up in the unRAID syslog:
Code:
May 31 13:00:01 Tower kernel: comskip[22008]: segfault at 0 ip 00002b4aa0996638 sp 00007ffd20339200 error 4 in libc-2.23.so[2b4aa0928000+1c0000]
May 31 13:30:01 Tower kernel: comskip[2321]: segfault at 0 ip 00002adf8bb8d638 sp 00007fff5efd32b0 error 4 in libc-2.23.so[2adf8bb1f000+1c0000]
May 31 14:00:02 Tower kernel: comskip[16104]: segfault at 0 ip 00002b460280a638 sp 00007ffc23f6f530 error 4 in libc-2.23.so[2b460279c000+1c0000]
May 31 14:30:01 Tower kernel: comskip[28797]: segfault at 0 ip 00002b073266d638 sp 00007ffdff6e8d40 error 4 in libc-2.23.so[2b07325ff000+1c0000]
May 31 15:00:01 Tower kernel: comskip[9148]: segfault at 0 ip 00002b1ea03b8638 sp 00007ffcc6e53530 error 4 in libc-2.23.so[2b1ea034a000+1c0000]
May 31 16:00:02 Tower kernel: comskip[2612]: segfault at 0 ip 00002b2eb3364638 sp 00007fffebad2ef0 error 4 in libc-2.23.so[2b2eb32f6000+1c0000]
May 31 17:00:01 Tower kernel: comskip[28378]: segfault at 0 ip 00002b169ca31638 sp 00007fff25a1f430 error 4 in libc-2.23.so[2b169c9c3000+1c0000]
May 31 18:54:30 Tower kernel: comskip[3562]: segfault at 0 ip 000000000042c4ea sp 00007ffeb22400b0 error 4 in comskip[400000+46000]
May 31 19:00:19 Tower kernel: comskip[5277]: segfault at 0 ip 00002aed33392638 sp 00007ffc585ffd40 error 4 in libc-2.23.so[2aed33324000+1c0000]
May 31 19:04:43 Tower kernel: comskip[5793]: segfault at 0 ip 00002ad7acb90638 sp 00007fff2f821280 error 4 in libc-2.23.so[2ad7acb22000+1c0000]
Is anyone else having trouble processing live recordings or is it just me?
Old 06-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm a newbie to linux, unraid and Docker. But I thought I'd make use of an older pc lying around to play with the possibilities and learn something. What would be a good Docker image size to start with considering I'll be installing Sage, Plex and maybe Emby to the machine?

Thanks,

Bobby
Old 06-01-2016, 11:04 AM
SageTVaholic

on unRAID? You really shouldn't need much, even 10GB is kind of overkill.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Wow.. This works really well!! That was the fastest I've ever gotten sage installed and recording. I think I saw the 30 day expiration notice when I logged in with my HD300. I put in my V7 license. Whas that the correct one to install? Or should it have been V6? My only other issue is I'm having trouble getting Sage and Plex to see/use the same libraries. But that's just my lack of Linux experience.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:37 AM
SageTVaholic

You shouldn't see a 30 day thing at all, the only thing V9 uses your license for is EPG access.
Closed Thread