SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

HD300 & Server: Communicate across different subnets

Hey gang, I need some advice.

I'm in a FIOS home and use the FIOS modem/router as well as a second router. I used to have the second router in Access point mode and connected to the first router via MOCA on the same subnet. All devices were happy to be able to see each other BUT all of the fancy features(QOS, Parental controls, etc.) of the new ASUS RT-AC5300 were turned off and I need some of those features.

So I switched the ASUS router back to router mode and plugged the FIOS router into the WAN port. The ASUS router decided to create a second subnet and all seemed to be fine except for one thing. My SageTV Server and Extenders are on 2 different subnets.

The question that I have is, should I try to get the devices talking across subnets(if that's even possible) as communication at this point seems like it's only working in one direction.

OR

Should I just buy wireless bridges for the HD300's and have them connect to the server's network?
Old 04-11-2016, 01:39 PM
Sage Icon

I'll ask the obvious question: why not plug all of your devices (SageTV server, HD300s, etc.) into the lan port of your ASUS router?
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 04-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Unfortunately, there is no Ethernet wire between the router and the other side of the house where the extender is and I'd like to avoid running a new line just for this.

I think the alternatives could be a wireless bridge or powerline.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeclad View Post
Unfortunately, there is no Ethernet wire between the router and the other side of the house where the extender is and I'd like to avoid running a new line just for this.

I think the alternatives could be a wireless bridge or powerline.
Personally, I'd run the wire. I actually have all of my media streaming devices hardwired.

But, if you don't want to do that... then I'd suggest getting a second ASUS router. Probably would be a good idea, anyways, since routers that are bundled with your ISP tend be the cheapest of the cheap and will tend to bog down on heavy loads. That was the case for me since we have so many wireless devices. My ISP router would have severe "pauses". After moving to the ASUS router, and just have have the ISP router plugged into to it (so thet ASUS router manages DNS, QOS, etc), things are running fine. I then added a second ASUS router as an access point (hard wired to the other ASUS router), to give better wifi strength around the house.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Personally, I'd run the wire. I actually have all of my media streaming devices hardwired.

But, if you don't want to do that... then I'd suggest getting a second ASUS router. Probably would be a good idea, anyways, since routers that are bundled with your ISP tend be the cheapest of the cheap and will tend to bog down on heavy loads. That was the case for me since we have so many wireless devices. My ISP router would have severe "pauses". After moving to the ASUS router, and just have have the ISP router plugged into to it (so thet ASUS router manages DNS, QOS, etc), things are running fine. I then added a second ASUS router as an access point (hard wired to the other ASUS router), to give better wifi strength around the house.
Don't forget that you do not have to scan for the server, you can set the ip-address if your server has a static ip. While this may not be the most convenient, once it works, you can connect across all sorts of tunnels, subnets, etc.

Clients: PC Client x 1, HD-300 x 1, AppleTV x 2, WebClient (phone/tablet) x 3
Old 08-11-2016, 09:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

I would also put the fios router into bridge mode, and completely bypass its routing capabilities.