SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Information & Announcements > SageTV Downloads & Instructions
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Downloads & Instructions This forum is for discussions containing Downloads and Instructions related to the Open Source version of SageTV. Please do not post questions in this forum.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuszkie View Post
Will a V7 client connect to V9 server?
Placeshifter: Yes; Client: I don't think so.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Sage Fanatic

Well I found a post that walked me through adding a GUI and I was able to install some client...

sagetv-client_9.0.3_amd64.tar.gz (is that the latest?)

And I was able to talk to the server! Yeah!

now I have to add some other disk space to actually try a recording! lol
But it seemed to find my all my prime tuners!

Great job on the install script!

Jim
Old 08-03-2016, 03:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuszkie View Post
Well I found a post that walked me through adding a GUI and I was able to install some client...

sagetv-client_9.0.3_amd64.tar.gz (is that the latest?)

And I was able to talk to the server! Yeah!

now I have to add some other disk space to actually try a recording! lol
But it seemed to find my all my prime tuners!

Great job on the install script!

Jim
great. ubuntu 14 or 16?
Old 08-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
great. ubuntu 14 or 16?
Old 08-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Sage Fanatic

Well... the tuner stuff didn't work. I can't get it to record. So now I have to debug the openDCT stuff.. *sigh*

I got some funky stuff when the script ran the first time. I'll have to see if there is a manual way to start the recording. I wonder if the firewall stuff is right?

Anyplace I should start?
Old 08-03-2016, 04:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

Ok.. I'm an idiot...

I forgot to run the install script as sudo!

I'll wear the dunce cap for a while!

After I reran the script as root, Then the encoders showed up properly..
I reconfigured sage to use the network encoder and bam.. I got a show recording!

But the response was very slow... Granted I am running in a VM through a VNC session at work with a large file copy going on. I'll try when I get home.

Jim
Old 08-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry for the slow update on the install script. I'm waiting for some more ram to come in so I can spin up a couple extra test VMs without shutting down any of my other crazy projects. Is everyone else interested in 16? Are there any other linux variants folks want (who are not using the docker container, etc? I'm happy to give a test against more than one.

I also will end up tracking the upgrade path/process.

Clients: PC Client x 1, HD-300 x 1, AppleTV x 2, WebClient (phone/tablet) x 3
Old 08-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Sage User

I'd be interested in script updates to support 16.04.1
Old 08-10-2016, 06:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

I would also like a script supporting 16.04.1. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

The script worked for me to install on my Linux Mint 18 desktop, which is based on Ubuntu 16.04. This was truly simple since I could browse to the forum in Chrome on the Mint desktop and download the script. This meant all I had to do was change the name using the gui and then open a terminal and do the chmod command and the run command from the instructions.

My install has been happily recording the Olympics 12 hours a day since they started. I know that the mint desktop is not really ideal for a server but it's working fine so far.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:05 PM
SageTVaholic

so, I have a question - and I know nothing about how linux installs work - is there anything done in the script that can't be done in an apt-get packaging? Such that instead of wget'ing the script file and changing permissions and name, and running it, we could simply 'sudo apt-get install sagetv-server'?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
so, I have a question - and I know nothing about how linux installs work - is there anything done in the script that can't be done in an apt-get packaging? Such that instead of wget'ing the script file and changing permissions and name, and running it, we could simply 'sudo apt-get install sagetv-server'?
Someone would need to host an Aptitude repository for SageTV.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I believe bintray can already do that (which is where the .deb's are anyway).

Old 08-11-2016, 04:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I believe bintray can already do that (which is where the .deb's are anyway).
There was a post I did a long time ago (many months ago) asking if someone would figure out the directory stucture of the deb repo on bintray.. basically we already have the deb, but for it to work we need it in a certain directory stucture, and we need some sort of manifest... both of which I don't have the time to figure out
Old 11-27-2016, 08:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

So, I am attempting this install on ubuntu 16.04.1 on a machine I had around so I can replace my windows server. Part of the way through it asked for my key which I have but am afraid to enter as I do not want to brake my active Windows server by causing a conflict. While this is intended to replace my windows server I do not want to take a definitive step that could cause issues with my active server only to find out my linux box will not work (cause I know nothing about linux and this is an experiment) or is not suitable. Would this be an issue????
Old 11-27-2016, 09:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomii View Post
So, I am attempting this install on ubuntu 16.04.1 on a machine I had around so I can replace my windows server. Part of the way through it asked for my key which I have but am afraid to enter as I do not want to brake my active Windows server by causing a conflict. While this is intended to replace my windows server I do not want to take a definitive step that could cause issues with my active server only to find out my linux box will not work (cause I know nothing about linux and this is an experiment) or is not suitable. Would this be an issue????
I don't believe it should be a problem. I had both running concurrently for a while without issue until I switched whole hog to unRAID.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

I completed the SageTV install on Linux 16.04.1 and it appeared to complete correctly though I cannot say I read every word that scrolled by in the terminal window. After completion I was able to watch a video from my library without issue as a test. However I am unable to bring up and view any television channels. My symptoms are similar to those in this post though selecting the DCT Tuners does not fix the issue.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63714

It appears to be an issue with OpenDCT so I will try to load the latest version if I can figure out what (or find in another posting) the proper way/steps are to do this on Linux.

I also installed Kodi on the Linux Box and it appears to play videos fine though I have not loaded the HDHomeRun PVR client and tried that yet. I am pretty sure I am close and that the machine is capable and ready to work if I can figure these last few things out.

I know nothing about Linux other than how to spell it so kudos to all those who helped me get this far. Will let you know how things work out!
Old 11-29-2016, 11:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

So I played with this a bit last night and still don't really have success. At one point I was able to play an MKV video file from a Mini Client but was not able to bring up live TV. On my Windows Client (on a Win 10 machine) I had problems playing all videos on the new linux server box though they seemed to play when logged into my current widows server. (different Server Versions maybe?) On the Linux Server I have never gotten success on the Video Configuration setup which I suspect is the issue with rendering on the clients. Also from one of the clients I managed to get audio for live TV on one test but the video was a black screen I also received Rendering errors on but the Windows Client and the Mini Client.

So for videos to render properly on the Windows Client does the version of the client need to match the version of the server?

Since I have video issues with Live TV on the Mini Client as well is there something specific to the configuration or what gets installed with this script that I can check that is required for Rendering on the clients?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Sage Expert

Updated installsage.txt to install sagetv 9.0.11.483. I needed sd program guide built in. Tested script on clean mint 18 installation. Don't have network encoders but works with hvr 1800.
Attached Files
File Type: txt installsage.txt (10.4 KB, 302 views)
Sage Tv Server-Amd 4200FX quad core, Asus Nvidia EN610 Hdmi out , 8 Gig Ram ,(3) HVR-1800, 3.5 terrabyte storage, Windows 8 Pro on sage 9.09 system . Media Server- 6 Terabytes on 5 drives, Amd x2 6000 8 useable gig ram on win 7 32 bit media server.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Finally finished my Linux build using the previous version of the install script some time last weekend. As a TOTAL Linux Newb, a few quick questions:

1. If I run the new script for 9.0.11.483 over the existing working install will it install without changing the config, plugings, etc?

2. If I want to install my Colosus is there anything else I need to do to make it visible in SageTV? Will it load drivers automatically when I install the card or at least ask for them like windows might?

3. Same kinda question for the USB-UIRT I have?

4. My Ubuntu 14.04 keeps asking to upgrade to 16.04. Should I allow this or tell it to go away?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.....

John