SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Information & Announcements > SageTV Downloads & Instructions
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Downloads & Instructions This forum is for discussions containing Downloads and Instructions related to the Open Source version of SageTV. Please do not post questions in this forum.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Linux - Script to automatically install SageTV and Network Tuners

(This is a repost of a different post, to give it its own thread. Original post here [http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...5&postcount=5])

Note: I will continue to update the first post with the newest script as I update it. At some point in time, I will get this into a repository and you will be able to download it with a single command line.

Automated SageTV & OpenDCT Installer for Ubuntu Linux

-- Only tested with Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - 64bit Server Edition
-- May not work with 15.10 (testing needed)
-- Attempts to do some validation / testing, but no promises (aka don't use this on a production machine yet)

This will attempt to probe for, then download and install the latest SageTV .deb file.

This will attempt to prove for, then download and install the latest opendct .deb file.

(planned, allow you to chose between opendct and primenetencoder and install your selection)

This will attempt to set up your firewall (but will not turn it on).

In theory, at the conclusion of this run you should be able to open a Sage client, connect and view video remotely

*NOTE: This does not install the local sage client, this assumes a headless server.

How to use this
1) Install Ubuntu Linux - the 64 bit SERVER version of 14.04.3 LTS as per http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=580992&postcount=2

2) Copy this file to your ubuntu box. The easiest way is probably to use SFTP. Ubuntu as installed above should already have SFTP installed on it. If you are a windows user, you can use PSFTP as an application on windows to send the file. The SFTP exchange will likely look like:

Quote:
sftp <new sage user>@<new sage ip>
put installsage.txt
quit
You may be able to skip this step and run the below command directly on your computer after you have connected with SSH. (still testing this, but this is the desired end goal.)

Quote:
wget -O installsage.sh http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15577&d=1468205307

3) Log into your remote Linux box. The easiest way should be SSH. If you are using windows, PuTTY is a good SSH tool.
Quote:
ssh <new sage user>@<new sage ip>
4) At the command prompt, rename the script to installsage.sh
Quote:
mv installsage.txt installsage.sh
5) Make the file executable
Quote:
chmod a+x installsage.sh
6) Run the script with admin privalidges
Quote:
sudo ./installsage.sh
It should now run, attempting to install everything and telling you as it goes. You will be prompted several times relating to Java and the install of SageTV (to enter your license key).

Known Issues:
#1 When installing, for some reason, after sage installs, it does not return, even though it should. To handle this:
- Type Ctrl-Z to have the current application Sleep
- Type the command "sudo service sagetv stop"
- When this is done type the command "fg" to return the sleeping processes to the foreground.

#2 the running of console only does not work for some reason right now in the script. you have to stop the opendct service, run this once and then start the service... I'll have to look tomorrow again at it.

I've attempted to have it auto install as much as is reasonable. Please holler with errors, additional software requests, etc.

How To Cleanup / Remove This
If you decide you want to remove this install..
A) backup up anything you care about (key file, Sage.properties, Wiz.bin)
B) sudo apt-get remove opendct sagetv

This will properly remove all the files / etc (thanks EnterNoEscape)
Attached Files
File Type: txt installsage.txt (10.4 KB, 1420 views)

Last edited by SageWizdom; 07-10-2016 at 08:52 PM. Reason: fixed some links - uploaded new version
Old 03-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

placeholder
Old 03-07-2016, 09:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Updated script to incorporate command to ensure auto run at boot
Old 03-24-2016, 05:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Success!

I am no linux master by any means but I have a running sage server thanks to this script. I installed Ubuntu server 14.04.03 64bit on my modded Asus chromebox. I happened to have this as an extra device right now and thought that it would make a good test machine. It does have a 128gb ssd instead of the stock 16gb. I set the name of the server as sageserver.
I installed the latest version of putty on my windows pc. It found the server on my network by name, no ip address required

I was able to use the wget command by changing to the current download link to "http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15319&d=1457407246" in step 2.

I jumped to step 5 and did the chmod.
I ran step 6.
I had the script hang part way through, I think that it was between installing the sageserver and sagedct but the ctrl-z etc steps got it going again. Once the script completely finished I did a sudo reboot and the syatem came back up. I was able to find the server and connect from my HD300 and ran a channel scan for my HDhomerun ota stations. So far everything seems to work. Great work on the script!

I didn't notice but does the script install a GUI?
Old 03-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

A clarification for install

So, I've been trying to troubleshoot some very weird OpenDCT issues and that inspired me to take a machine that I had laying around and to build it out on Unbuntu 14.04 and run this script (after various mixed attempts to do it manually) and for the most part it worked great.

One thing that tripped me up is that I thought I had everything installed correctly but OpenDCT still wasn't working. What I realized is that I needed the SiliconDust driver package. I found this in another thread and once I installed them, everything started to work.

sudo apt-get install hdhomerun-config hdhomerun-config-gui

Thanks for your work on this, it made getting everything built and installed very easy!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2dot0 View Post
So, I've been trying to troubleshoot some very weird OpenDCT issues and that inspired me to take a machine that I had laying around and to build it out on Unbuntu 14.04 and run this script (after various mixed attempts to do it manually) and for the most part it worked great.

One thing that tripped me up is that I thought I had everything installed correctly but OpenDCT still wasn't working. What I realized is that I needed the SiliconDust driver package. I found this in another thread and once I installed them, everything started to work.

sudo apt-get install hdhomerun-config hdhomerun-config-gui

Thanks for your work on this, it made getting everything built and installed very easy!
OpenDCT does not require that package. I suspect that if that's working for you that the package made some changes to your Linux installation such as firewall rules.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 03-24-2016, 07:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeezer View Post
I had the script hang part way through, I think that it was between installing the sageserver and sagedct but the ctrl-z etc steps got it going again.
Yes, unfortunately known bug, but I've been chatting with one of the real magicians and I'm hopeful we're getting closer to a fix for that.

Quote:
I didn't notice but does the script install a GUI?
It does not, but if there is interest, I can throw one together. When you say gui are you taking about a general os GUI (desktop, browser etc) or are you talking about everything up through a working Sage Client?

Part of the reason I had not is that I had not gotten the client to run consistently, and stopped trying once I moved to only external clients. I could certainly point you at the/a walk through which could help get you close.

Clients: PC Client x 1, HD-300 x 1, AppleTV x 2, WebClient (phone/tablet) x 3
Old 03-25-2016, 07:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

I was just sort of curious if there was a gui. I don't really think that it's needed. I was able to do all the channels scans etc from the HD300.

I think that anyone who has enough interest to build a dedicated linux sagetv server would be able to look up whatever commands they need to interact with the server. The hard stuff like adding hdd's etc pretty much has to be done from the command line anyway.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I was just sort of curious if there was a gui. I don't really think that it's needed. I was able to do all the channels scans etc from the HD300.

I think that anyone who has enough interest to build a dedicated linux sagetv server would be able to look up whatever commands they need to interact with the server. The hard stuff like adding hdd's etc pretty much has to be done from the command line anyway.
There really isn't a gui for the sagetv server on linux. Not sure what windows has, but on linux, it's headless. The gui is either connecting an HD300 or desktop placeshifter. You could run the desktop placeshifter on linux and configure from the same machine provided that you were runnnig the linux server as a desktop (ie full UI)
Old 03-26-2016, 05:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

Probably shouldn't have brought up the gui. The only reason I could see for wanting a GUI would be for remote access. I use a chromebook when I'm on the road during the day. I can access my home pc's using chrome remote desktop. This works for my desktop running windows 8.1 as well as my current home server which has Lubuntu installed. This is just the simplest setup that I have found for remote access.

I'm trying to imagine how a new user (since hopefully this project will start bringing new folks to SageTV) would set this up. It looks like running the script to install the linux server on their pc hardware and doing the configuration from the android miniclient would be ideal for most relatively savvy computer people.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Your concern is very reasonable, how to make the system easy for folks who are not linux savvy. I would like to think of this as a step on he way to a appliance build. Something that goes from zero to working with no interaction. Even better would be this merged with the OS install (as someone previously noted).

I think the only way to really get there involves a couple of specific expectations. Some basic hardware expectations (available ram, available processor threads, available storage) with some combination of a network encoder (ex. HD HomeRun). In this way, a non linux user wouldn't have to deal with Kernal or other issues, it would just work.

Before this could really work, the issue needs to be resolved as to how to handle OS upgrades and application upgrades. When you couple this with the work stuckless is doing for an available client device most of the pieces are there and ready. I think the last big major piece might be, helping a new user get all the guide data they need, as easily as possible.

Clients: PC Client x 1, HD-300 x 1, AppleTV x 2, WebClient (phone/tablet) x 3
Old 05-26-2016, 10:31 PM
Sage User

Will this work with Hauppauge USB and PCI tuners as well, or just network tuners like HDHomerun?
I plan to use Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS - Are these drivers (HDHomerun, Hauppauge) included?
I know this is meant to run headless, but if someone wanted to setup a dedicated HTPC on Ubuntu Desktop, could they install the client locally as well?
After completing the script and rebooting, if I run 'sudo service sagetv start', and it says it is Already Running. If I launch a client and enter the name or IP, it can't connect however. Any ideas?

Last edited by DigiDAD; 05-26-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:16 AM
Sage Expert

64 bit java issues on virtual machine.

Firstly virtual machines is new to me and I am trying to setup sagetv on one. I have windows 32 bit home premium installed. I am running Oracle Virtual Box 5.0.20. I can install Ubuntu 14.04.4 fine. Everything installs properly, BUT java 64 bit won't install stating I have a 32 bit processor (WRONG!). It is a Amd dual core 6 ghz 64 bit processor, BUT my motherboard doesn't support virtualization and I'm pretty sure the processor doesn't either. I don't know if lack of virtualization in hardware is stopping java or is it some virtual machine setting I need to find out about? I would appreciate any help on this from this forums pros on this type of setup.
Sage Tv Server-Amd 4200FX quad core, Asus Nvidia EN610 Hdmi out , 8 Gig Ram ,(3) HVR-1800, 3.5 terrabyte storage, Windows 8 Pro on sage 9.09 system . Media Server- 6 Terabytes on 5 drives, Amd x2 6000 8 useable gig ram on win 7 32 bit media server.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadeau View Post
Firstly virtual machines is new to me and I am trying to setup sagetv on one. I have windows 32 bit home premium installed. I am running Oracle Virtual Box 5.0.20. I can install Ubuntu 14.04.4 fine. Everything installs properly, BUT java 64 bit won't install stating I have a 32 bit processor (WRONG!). It is a Amd dual core 6 ghz 64 bit processor, BUT my motherboard doesn't support virtualization and I'm pretty sure the processor doesn't either. I don't know if lack of virtualization in hardware is stopping java or is it some virtual machine setting I need to find out about? I would appreciate any help on this from this forums pros on this type of setup.
Is the Ubuntu you installed in your vm the 32-bit or 64-bit version? I've looked it up and Virtual Box does support your particular configuration with apparently some caveats: http://askubuntu.com/a/180764

Since virtualization has been supported on AMD processors since the single core Athlon 64 I have a hard time believing that your hardware doesn't support it. For your configuration to work it must have hardware virtualization enabled. Your system's BIOS would be the first place to look. What motherboard do you have in this system?
Old 05-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Sage Expert

My mainboard doesn't support virtualization. I did install ubuntu 64 bit and it worked fine, but I figured my hardware may not be up to it. MB is MSI MS-7250. I checked bios and there is nothing about virtualization.

edit: I just downloaded securable. Software that checks system and my system does support hardware virtualization. Now all I have to do is figure out why ubuntu install and runs fine in 64 bit but java doesn't install.
Sage Tv Server-Amd 4200FX quad core, Asus Nvidia EN610 Hdmi out , 8 Gig Ram ,(3) HVR-1800, 3.5 terrabyte storage, Windows 8 Pro on sage 9.09 system . Media Server- 6 Terabytes on 5 drives, Amd x2 6000 8 useable gig ram on win 7 32 bit media server.

Last edited by rnadeau; 05-27-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadeau View Post
My mainboard doesn't support virtualization. I did install ubuntu 64 bit and it worked fine, but I figured my hardware may not be up to it. MB is MSI MS-7250. I checked bios and there is nothing about virtualization.

edit: I just downloaded securable. Software that checks system and my system does support hardware virtualization. Now all I have to do is figure out why ubuntu install and runs fine in 64 bit but java doesn't install.
Is your vm's OS specified as 64-bit like in the post I linked?
Old 05-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Sage Expert

Yes, Its setup as linux 64 bit vm. I checked and it is set to use virtualization in vm settings and pae
Old 06-01-2016, 01:56 PM
SageTVaholic

I am new to Linux ... so please be patient. I have it running on Hyper V using ubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64... I can connect to the Sage Server using a windows client no problem. But it cannot write the fie to the VM. How do I get the Sage Linux server to record to my Publc folders in my WDMYCLOUD Nas.

12:49:23.978 [SageTVRequestHandler-157CT-HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 13147C7B-0] ERROR FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl - Unable to open '/var/media/tv/10334_2_0601_1249-0.ts' for writing => java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: \var\media\tv\10334_2_0601_1249-0.ts
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.newFileChannel(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.channels.FileChannel.open(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.channels.FileChannel.open(Unknown Source)
at opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl$FFmpegDirectWriter.<init>(FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl.java:716)
at opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl.consumeToFilename(FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl.java:311)
at opendct.capture.HDHRNativeCaptureDevice.startEncodingSync(HDHRNativeCaptureDevice.java:979)
at opendct.capture.HDHRNativeCaptureDevice.startEncoding(HDHRNativeCaptureDevice.java:489)
at opendct.sagetv.SageTVRequestHandler.run(SageTVRequestHandler.java:223)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Old 06-01-2016, 02:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Does the path /var/media/tv actually exist. Are you able to navigate to it?

That error message suggests that maybe a part of the path doesn't exist or is inaccessible (permissions).

If it's permissions, the quickest way to fix that is to give everyone rwx permissions:

Code:
sudo chmod 777 /var/media/tv
This can be changed later, but for troubleshooting purposes, I think it's better to open things up.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 06-01-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
Does the path /var/media/tv actually exist. Are you able to navigate to it?

That error message suggests that maybe a part of the path doesn't exist or is inaccessible (permissions).

If it's permissions, the quickest way to fix that is to give everyone rwx permissions:

Code:
sudo chmod 777 /var/media/tv
This can be changed later, but for troubleshooting purposes, I think it's better to open things up.
Yes it is there will change permissions.