SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Phoenix
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Phoenix This forum is for discussing the user-created Phoenix custom interface for SageTV.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Repairing a messed up Phoenix Install

There are times while installing Phoenix, that sagetv may incorrectly extract a dependency, or a portion of phoenix, and the end result is that phoenix may not work correctly, or even worse, it may show in a "failed" state. Unfortunately, the only way to resolve this using sagetv plugin system is to completely remove phoenix and all of its plugins and start over, which is not easy.

So, I've created a tool that will allow you to re-download and re-extract all phoenix dependencies to ensure that everything is extracted correctly. For this to work correctly, you should STOP sagetv server, and run this tool as the same user as the sagetv user.

To run the program, download the latest jar from

https://github.com/stuckless/sagetv-...dater/releases

and then run it using
> java -jar phoenix-plugin-updater-VERSION.jar
where VERSION is (1.3, etc)

It will show a simple window allowing your to chose the SageTV home, and then click "Update". If all goes well, you should see the app downloading and extracting all the dependencies for Phoenix.

Currently this application is locked for use with Phoenix only, but I may open it up so that it could be used to refresh any plugin.

Attached Images
File Type: png _031.png (29.1 KB, 1539 views)

Last edited by stuckless; 02-01-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: updated download location
Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Sage Icon

Thumbs up

Thank you, Stuckless!!!! This just happened to me this past weekend when the server was down and haven't had a chance to debug or try to fix.

This tool will help. I will try by the weekend when I don't have recordings going on. Thanks allot for your support.
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Sage Expert

The last Phoenix update prompted in System messages pooched my install after the restart. Messed up UI on extenders and inability to start the server-side client (just sits on "loading UI").

Trying to get through it now by obliterating the entire SageTV folder hierarchy and restoring from a backup with the current wiz.bin file. Unfortunately I don't have time to try other more delicate repair methods or troubleshooting.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
The last Phoenix update prompted in System messages pooched my install after the restart. Messed up UI on extenders and inability to start the server-side client (just sits on "loading UI").

Trying to get through it now by obliterating the entire SageTV folder hierarchy and restoring from a backup with the current wiz.bin file. Unfortunately I don't have time to try other more delicate repair methods or troubleshooting.
Did you try running the updater tool that I posted here?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Sage Expert

I didn't see this thread until AFTER I had done what I described in the previous post.

Super because it seems I've lost all my favorites and the channel lists for two tuners were also wiped - which means that until I re-scan I can't even manually record a number of shows tonight. Looks like I know what I'm going to be doing most of the day tomorrow... Ugh.

Arrgh. Now even after scanning those tuners they still aren't able to be used from the guide to tune. Preview works, but can't manually set a recording from the guide.

Last edited by TwistedMelon; 12-06-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
I didn't see this thread until AFTER I had done what I described in the previous post.

Super because it seems I've lost all my favorites and the channel lists for two tuners were also wiped - which means that until I re-scan I can't even manually record a number of shows tonight. Looks like I know what I'm going to be doing most of the day tomorrow... Ugh.

Arrgh. Now even after scanning those tuners they still aren't able to be used from the guide to tune. Preview works, but can't manually set a recording from the guide.
Just a FYI as well... since my install was messed up after the upgrade as well. All of this was a direct result of the forums going offline, and then finally being offline. Phoenix was affected because it has lots of dependencies, and it's a fairly large project, and the SageTV package manager didn't handle the offline situation very well

The tool that I created (in this forum) is something that re-installs/updates Phoenix without using the SageTV package manager and it has no dependencies on sagetv.com, it is something that can be used to refresh all the files and ensure that eveything is extracted correctly.

I realize this doesn't help you now, but maybe if you are ever in the same situation again, this tool might help.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

So before I do anything else stupid... (I've kinda puckered myself with my new, clean, better than new, fresh win7x64/sage install.....)

So every time I restart sage, in service mode, it goes through the entire searching and re-finding everything in the video import directories... I've been driven to drink... (well drink more anyway...) by this the last couple of days trying to find the switch to turn off so like before it just loaded what it had last time.... without the whole lewis and clark rediscovery side project....

I guess that's a round about way of asking if this thread could be related to my problem?

The whole install/reinstall of plugins happened this week,.. monday/tuesday.

On the plus side I'm ironing out a tremendous number of BMT matching issues....
Old 12-08-2012, 10:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesquid View Post
So before I do anything else stupid... (I've kinda puckered myself with my new, clean, better than new, fresh win7x64/sage install.....)

So every time I restart sage, in service mode, it goes through the entire searching and re-finding everything in the video import directories... I've been driven to drink... (well drink more anyway...) by this the last couple of days trying to find the switch to turn off so like before it just loaded what it had last time.... without the whole lewis and clark rediscovery side project....

I guess that's a round about way of asking if this thread could be related to my problem?

The whole install/reinstall of plugins happened this week,.. monday/tuesday.

On the plus side I'm ironing out a tremendous number of BMT matching issues....
Sage does do a discovery of media files on restart. That has nothing to do with this. You might be able to turn that off, but I'm unware of the option.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:40 PM
SageTVaholic

I've posted a new update to the installer. This version allows you select which plugin you want to refresh. By default "phoenix" is still selected.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Sage User

I'm not having much luck getting Phoenix to work. I ran the utility with all the Sage services off and I still get the endless revolving circle when I choose Phoenix from the Set Full UI Package option. I'm running Sage 7.1.9.256 Java 1.7.0_05 on XP 5.1

Bummer!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beddows View Post
I'm not having much luck getting Phoenix to work. I ran the utility with all the Sage services off and I still get the endless revolving circle when I choose Phoenix from the Set Full UI Package option. I'm running Sage 7.1.9.256 Java 1.7.0_05 on XP 5.1

Bummer!
Hey Dave, was this using a full client or extender. I know there were several other people in the same boat as you when using the full client. Sadly I've been unable to find/fix the problem
Old 03-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Sage User

I was using a HD300 extender. I also have a Hauppauge extender but haven't tried that yet.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I was using a HD300 extender. I also have a Hauppauge extender but haven't tried that yet.
Interesting... I've never seen this happen on an extender... I thought it was only a client issue.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Sage User

I had the same issue when I tried to install Phoenix last week. Spinning circle on the HD300. This is why I switched to Gemstone a few months ago. Could never get Phoenix to work.

Sage Beta 7;HD-300;Windows 7 64-bit;HP EX495 server with 7tb;Ceton 4-tuner cable card.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Sage User

I confirmed today it wouldn't work on my Hauppauge MVP extender either. It seems to have loaded half way then corrupted it. I had to leave it unplugged for quite a while before it would read the backup client properties file.

I'm wondering if it is a directory issue. The Phoenix.xml is under Sage 7 were as all the other Phoenix stuff is in it's own directory.

The wife really liked SageMC but I am now really starting to enjoy the Sage 7 layout. It drove me nuts at first but now I like all the options.

I did get SageMC to work for a while under Sage 7 but I don't know how reliable it will be. I didn't spend much time configuring it because I found myself missing Sage7. The Gemstone may be a good compromise.
Maybe it's time for his and hers extenders in each room. One running Gemstone or SageMC and the other more complicated setup for me. Just how many HD300's can one connect???
Old 03-12-2013, 06:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I confirmed today it wouldn't work on my Hauppauge MVP extender either. It seems to have loaded half way then corrupted it. I had to leave it unplugged for quite a while before it would read the backup client properties file.

I'm wondering if it is a directory issue. The Phoenix.xml is under Sage 7 were as all the other Phoenix stuff is in it's own directory.

The wife really liked SageMC but I am now really starting to enjoy the Sage 7 layout. It drove me nuts at first but now I like all the options.

I did get SageMC to work for a while under Sage 7 but I don't know how reliable it will be. I didn't spend much time configuring it because I found myself missing Sage7. The Gemstone may be a good compromise.
Maybe it's time for his and hers extenders in each room. One running Gemstone or SageMC and the other more complicated setup for me. Just how many HD300's can one connect???
Now that I know it happens with all clients... at some point I will try to setup a clean install of sagetv with Phoenix and see what happens. I've never seen this problem myself, but you are not alone in experiencing it
Old 03-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Sage User

Well thank you for taking the time. It is good people like yourself that keep us going. I am in no hurry. I'm starting to like the current Sage 7 structure. My biggest hurdle now is finding a plugin that every 24 hours will check Sage to see if it recording and if not, restart Sage. This is to overcome my Colussus woes until it is discovered why Sage & Colussus don't get along indefinitely.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well thank you for taking the time. It is good people like yourself that keep us going. I am in no hurry. I'm starting to like the current Sage 7 structure. My biggest hurdle now is finding a plugin that every 24 hours will check Sage to see if it recording and if not, restart Sage. This is to overcome my Colussus woes until it is discovered why Sage & Colussus don't get along indefinitely.
That sounds like something you might have to setup using SJQ... I've never used it myself, but I think you can do stuff like that using SJQ (and a little scripting/help).
Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 AM
Sage Icon

Even simpler is to put in a scheduled job that simply reboot the server at a time (i.e. 3a) when it is highly improbable that you will record anything (the reboot windows i likely only 5 minutes...)
Old 03-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Sage User

I ended up using task manger to start & stop just the SageTV service which takes under a minute and does not reboot the whole computer.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...7&postcount=11