SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

IMDB Plugin for Extender

I mainly use my Extender for watching DVD rips. I have so many that I can't remember what all the movies are about, or whose in them. I seen in the download section, there is an IMDB plugin that allows you to look up information on a certain movie, or TV show. Does this plugin work with the Extender? Or is it only for use with the client-side software on computers? If that doesn't work, are there any alternatives?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 08-20-2008, 04:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

I found this utility: http://code.google.com/p/customsaget...tadataImporter

It seems to do exactly what I want. I can't test it with my Extender right now cause I'm upgrading the RAID array on my SageTV server box. Can anyone confirm that this works on the Extender please?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 08-20-2008, 04:51 AM
SageTVaholic

IMDB lookups work on the extender to the extent that the searches come back good.

B

PS - The tool you linked to would run on the server separately from SageTV. But the properties files it produces is picked up by SageTV and definitely works with the extenders. Also, I used that tool with DVD Profiler and results are spectacular.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Tony, keep in mind that for the most part, the extenders will display anything that a regular client will display with the exception of showing externally launched applications.

Not sure, but I think that you need to import the STVi on the extender in order for it to work. Ie, I don't think that a plugin will automatically show up on the extender if you imported it on another client. Again, I may be wrong here. I use very few imports, but recall having to load them multiple times.

The Metedata importer tool is mainly used for batch importing. For on demand lookups, i'd recommend using Nielm's IMDB Search tool.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

bcjenkins, what do you mean by 'i used it with DVD Profiler'? I know you can select between different providers. Is that what you mean? Is that better than using IMDB for the lookups? I ran the utility on 3 movies last night to test it, and out of 3, 1 came back wrong. I had to manually add the correct IMDB URL to the .properties file to get it pick up the correct plot, actor, etc information. It did however pickup the the correct thumbnail cover art jpeg, which seemed odd to me. How did the results using DVD Profiler vs IMDB differ?

Keep in mind that I have roughly 1000 different movies to add this metadata too.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 08-20-2008, 07:18 PM
SageTVaholic

I recently ran against my DVD Profiler setup and the results were really good. I have some clean up work to do because of missing Profiler entries for some of the films, but overall very good. Check out http://www.invelos.com for more info. Even if you're may not be talking about DVDs, you can enter by title name too. The covers are nice quality if you buy the tool for $30.

B
Old 08-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Not sure, but I think that you need to import the STVi on the extender in order for it to work. Ie, I don't think that a plugin will automatically show up on the extender if you imported it on another client. Again, I may be wrong here. I use very few imports, but recall having to load them multiple times.
I have 10 plug-ins, and have never had to install one for an Extender. I installed them all on the server and they worked fine on both of my Extenders.

Tony, I would recommend installing the IMDB plug-in and then the "Read/write metadata" plug-in. These combined will get you what you want. The IMDB plug-in gives you the menu option to look up the movie in IMDB, and then the Read/write plug-in gives you a "Save" button on the IMDB menu screen, which saves the info as either a .my file, a .properties file, or both.

If you are primarily using the Extender (where you can't run external apps like DVD Profiler), these will take care of what (it sounds like) you are looking for.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.