SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-23-2022, 06:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Using Channels.DVR. Can I dump my HDHR-CC(s)?

So I currently have 2 Xfinity Pace boxes connected to an HDPVR and a BMI-3000. They are older STBs that don't support the new IPTV stuff, but, I like them because I can hardwire connect them to my USB-UIRT for easy very reliable channel changing, and I can capture my pay-tv (HBO,Showtime, etc).
I also have a Roku connected that I can use to record stuff from frndly.tv.
And lastly, I have (2) HDHR-CC that I use to record most everything that we watch (Hallmark, HMMHD, etc).

Not too long ago I set up a Channels.dvr system and now I have my HDHR-CC assigned to channels.dvr, and I'm using them via the generic pipe method of OpenDCT. So, seems like I can get all of my xfinity base channels through the Channels.dvr, as well as I have a plugin installed for Frndly.tv. And I have installed TVEverywhere on the channels.dvr box as well.

Anyway, in the interest of saving a few more $$, I was wondering if people thought it would be an ok idea to just dump the HDHR-CC cards back to xfinity and do everything through TVE? Or are there some hidden gotchas that others have run into that would raise any red flags and suggest to keep 1 or 2 of the HDHRs around anyway?

Any thoughts or discussions appreciated.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpaulus View Post
So I currently have 2 Xfinity Pace boxes connected to an HDPVR and a BMI-3000. They are older STBs that don't support the new IPTV stuff, but, I like them because I can hardwire connect them to my USB-UIRT for easy very reliable channel changing, and I can capture my pay-tv (HBO,Showtime, etc).
I also have a Roku connected that I can use to record stuff from frndly.tv.
And lastly, I have (2) HDHR-CC that I use to record most everything that we watch (Hallmark, HMMHD, etc).

Not too long ago I set up a Channels.dvr system and now I have my HDHR-CC assigned to channels.dvr, and I'm using them via the generic pipe method of OpenDCT. So, seems like I can get all of my xfinity base channels through the Channels.dvr, as well as I have a plugin installed for Frndly.tv. And I have installed TVEverywhere on the channels.dvr box as well.

Anyway, in the interest of saving a few more $$, I was wondering if people thought it would be an ok idea to just dump the HDHR-CC cards back to xfinity and do everything through TVE? Or are there some hidden gotchas that others have run into that would raise any red flags and suggest to keep 1 or 2 of the HDHRs around anyway?

Any thoughts or discussions appreciated.
Wouldn't the savings be minor I have 2 cable cards and am not charged for them. I got rid of my Cable boxes except 1 ... I use my Firesticks as Cable boxes at no Charge with XFINITY Stream.

Last edited by nyplayer; 10-23-2022 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Wouldn't the savings be minor I have 2 cable cards and am not charged for them. I got rid of my Cable boxes except 1 ... I use my Firesticks as Cable boxes at no Charge with XFINITY Stream.
Just out of curiousity, how do you capture things from your paid channels, such as HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc?

Last edited by mgpaulus; 10-24-2022 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpaulus View Post
Just out of curiousity, how do you capture things from your paid channels, such as HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc?
I don't I use Playon or ANYSTREAM ... to download any movies or shows I want to Keep ... I never did care for having all sorts of devices to record a Show. If it is a blockbuster Movie with Atmos or great sound, I use ANYSTREAM.... being able to download from Prime , XFINITY and Netflix has eliminated my need to have boxes attached to a PC in order to record a movie I want to keep.

Last edited by nyplayer; 10-24-2022 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:43 AM
Sage Icon

It would be much more cost effective to dump the cable boxes and keep the cable cards! Perhaps dump one of each so that you can continue to record the premium channels (of course you'll have to look at your usage to determine if you really need to premium channels being recorded at the same time or not).
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 10-26-2022, 11:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
It would be much more cost effective to dump the cable boxes and keep the cable cards! Perhaps dump one of each so that you can continue to record the premium channels (of course you'll have to look at your usage to determine if you really need to premium channels being recorded at the same time or not).
Since I have Channels DVR I also got rid of the subscription to Schedules Direct and use XMLTV from Channels DVR to SageTV. I am down to one minipc I7 for everything Channels , SageTV and EMBY. It feels great to not have those large TV boxes and PC's.

Last edited by nyplayer; 10-26-2022 at 11:31 AM.