SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:12 AM
Sage User

How to best scan for missing channels or new channels with HDHR tuners?

I'm sure someone has had to do this...

My HDHR tuners are no longer tuning a few channels -- the "no signal" message.

These channels were there when I first did the setup/installation, but they aren't tuning now (perhaps my cable company changed things or who knows).

Is there a way to go about adding or re-scanning and/or re-enabling channels for HDHomeRun tuners (I have 3 devices = 6 tuners) WITHOUT messing up the stuff that is already scanned and mapped correctly?

Am I better-off removing the tuners completely from Sage and re-doing the entire scan/install process (please god let there be a better way) or is there a way that I can simply scan/add these missing channels without going through the whole process again?

-tk

Last edited by taylork; 03-09-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Sage User

No one has any suggestions? Sheesh, I knew this probably meant I would have to go through the entire HDHR scan/zap2it-comparison/sage-scan/remap procedure... but was hoping that it could somehow be avoided.

Further, my cable company looks to be adding a few channels sporadically over the next few months -- I'm not thrilled with the thought of having to do this repeatedly over that time frame.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:02 AM
Administrator

You can make copies of the .xml channels lists from the HDHR software, found in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Silicondust\HDHomeRun directory. You can compare the files to be able to redo any previous edits and check new channels after doing a new scan in the HDHR channel editor.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
You can make copies of the .xml channels lists from the HDHR software, found in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Silicondust\HDHomeRun directory. You can compare the files to be able to redo any previous edits and check new channels after doing a new scan in the HDHR channel editor.

- Andy
Andy,

Did you mean HDHR Manager, Setup or Config? I haven't upgraded my HDHR software since 12/31, but I've never seen an HDHR "channel editor". A channel "editor" is exactly what the OP was looking for and what the rest of us would love to have available.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac321 View Post
Andy,

Did you mean HDHR Manager, Setup or Config? I haven't upgraded my HDHR software since 12/31, but I've never seen an HDHR "channel editor". A channel "editor" is exactly what the OP was looking for and what the rest of us would love to have available.
The hdhomerun setup is where the channel editor is located.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
The hdhomerun setup is where the channel editor is located.
Mea Culpa. I hadn't noticed that they title the channel table "channel editor". I guess it could be loosely called an editor since you can enable/disable channels. OTOH, to me an editor would imply the ability to add channels without a destructive rescan.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Sage User

Ok, got around to working through this last night. And here are my steps:

1. I shut down both SageTV and the SageTV service
2. and then backed-up my scr/frq files (just in case) (Program files/SageTV/SageTV directory)
3. I then started the HDHomeRun Setup application -- went to the Channels tab and ran a scan.
4. HDHomeRun Setup app finished the scan. I then went through and verified the results (comparing and correcting channel names with those shown on the zap2it.com listings) -- and I also entered the channel number in the appropriate space for each channel*
5. An hour-ish later Smile I clicked on the "Apply" button, then closed the app and restarted SageTV
6. In SageTV, went into the setup menu and then into the "Setup Video Sources" menu... clicked on the top HDHR tuner in the list, clicked on "Channel Setup" and then ran a scan for channels.
7. SageTV found my channels, applied the appropriate channel numbers and I was Smile
8. I then repeated this channel-scan in each of the other 5 HDHR tuners.

* NOTE: I'm such an idiot. I don't know why, but for whatever reason I had always ignored the channel number column in the "HDHomeRun Setup" app (perhaps this wasn't used before), but obviously SageTV does now see those numbers as the correct logical channel number and maps things as needed. Perfect. Obviously if I had been populating these logical channel numbers in the HDHR setup app before, this subsequent process probably would have been quick and easy.

I'm now 10 tuners strong (6 HDHR/4 PVR-500) and my testing in the past few hours hasn't produced any negatives yet (knock on wood).
Old 03-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Sage Icon

get any new ones? :-)
Old 03-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
get any new ones? :-)
Yep. 5 "new" channels. 3 that were existing channels that I had somehow lost via my fat-fingers-admin tendencies and 2 actual new channels: "Reelz" (whatever that is) and CBS College Sports -- so I'll be able to record some NCAA tournament action. Very nice.

But most importantly... using the logical-channel column in the HDHR Setup app now makes these future scans a much easier process going-forward.