SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-04-2022, 03:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Based on what you are saying with the placeshifter, I'd be looking for at Java or HD. ie, spinning while trying to load images could be java having to free and allocate memory. It could also be a slow drive access (ie, the drive spun down, or some windows process like a virus scanner is intercepting the file request and doing some work before allowing it to be accessed)
All 3 of the drives are WD ssd drives. I don't have any anitvirus softwre on here. I also disabled windows firewall and defender and that made no difference either.

Trying to catch up on all of the post. I think you asked about ports and cables. I have tried different cables. I have also tried different ports and a couple of nights ago pulled my server off of the one switch and plugged directly into the router. so I think I have eliminated those things. I think I will order a new nic card tonight and see what that does.
GIGABYTE B560 HD3 MB | Intel I5 6 core CPU | 500 GB WD SSD system drive | (2) 2TB Western Digital SSD drives pooled | 16 GB DDR ram | UHD 630 on board graphics| Win 10 64 bit | SageTV 9 | (5) Sage HD TV extenders | (1) HDHomeRun quad tuner HD OTA | (1) HDHomeRun Dual tuner HD OTA | (2) 1512 HD-PVR2s recording from 2 Dish Network VIP 211K's with Uirt ir control | MX-700 Home theater remote | 60" LED TV | (4) 32" Lcd TV's
Old 02-04-2022, 04:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, Guys
Here is the latest. After I made the post above about moving the server to my router port, I had an idea, since my router is a 4 port and I only use 2 of them, 1 to each switch and the server to port 3 for testing, how about I plug the hd-300 into port 4. GUESS WHAT, it works fine the icons are on there almost as quick as the guide comes up. I can't believe that I have several ports bad on that switch.
Guys, I do appriciate all of the help. I was starting to get a little frustrated with this new setup. I don't know if the switch is bad or I need to look at the settings and see what is going on. When I get this figured out I will post again on my findings. You guys talking about the network were right on. I just thought by changing ports I had eliminated that as a problem area.
Once again thank you all for your help in trying to figure this out.
Wayne
GIGABYTE B560 HD3 MB | Intel I5 6 core CPU | 500 GB WD SSD system drive | (2) 2TB Western Digital SSD drives pooled | 16 GB DDR ram | UHD 630 on board graphics| Win 10 64 bit | SageTV 9 | (5) Sage HD TV extenders | (1) HDHomeRun quad tuner HD OTA | (1) HDHomeRun Dual tuner HD OTA | (2) 1512 HD-PVR2s recording from 2 Dish Network VIP 211K's with Uirt ir control | MX-700 Home theater remote | 60" LED TV | (4) 32" Lcd TV's
Old 02-04-2022, 07:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledose View Post
Guys, I do appriciate all of the help.
Glad you figured it out.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Not sure I have this figured out yet.
Current router port config
port 1: switch 1 in front room old server
port 2: switch 2 in computer room
port 3: my main home computer
port 4: hd 300 for testing
port 5: new sage server box for testing
If I plug sage box and hd 300 into the router ports 4 and 5 it works good.
If I plug hd 300 into switch 2 no good
If I plug hd 300 into switch 1 with 50 foot of cable no good
So hd 300 will not work with either switch
So my question is, is there any port forwarding or anything like that that the newer sage software needs open or forwarded in the router?
Thanks
Wayne
Old 02-04-2022, 08:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
So my question is, is there any port forwarding or anything like that that the newer sage software needs open or forwarded in the router?
Thanks
Wayne
The switches that you have are not run-of-the-mill consumer-grade switches; they are managed switches that allow you to configure them, probably from a web browser. Is it possible that they are currently configured to limit bandwidth on some of the ports that you are trying to use? The issues that you are running into feel like you have more than one device assigned to the same IP address, you might want to double-check that. Also, are all of your devices using IP addresses starting with 172.20.20? I would try plugging the new server box and the HD300 that you are testing with into the same switch, the router would then only be used to initially assign the IP address. After that, communication between the HD300 and the SageTV server would be completely handled within the switch, the network traffic would never make it to the router.

Also, for the static IP address for your server, did you actually assign a static IP address in the network adapter on the server, or did you set up a DHCP reservation (via mac address) in the router? Personally, I prefer using DHCP reservations, to me there is less chance of duplicating IP addresses amongst multiple devices.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls

Last edited by KeithAbbott; 02-04-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks
Wayne
Definitely a network issue in the switches/cabling. Try the following...

1. move your switched to ports 4 and 5 and move the hd300/server to ports 1 and 2 (ie, verify that those ports 1 and 2 on the switch are fine like ports and 4 and 5). If that works, then plug your hd300 into the switch and see if you get same negative result.

2. To rule out Keith's suggestion of duplicate IP addresses. Determine the IP address of the HD300 and the new server. Then turn them off and then from another machine try to ping them. If you can ping either while they are turned off, you have a duplicate address somewhere. As Keith mentioned, using DHCP reservation vs statically configured IP the best way to statically assign addresses.

3. Much like how you tried different ports on the router, unplug all other devices on the switch and then try the HD300 in each port. (this validates each port on the switch)

4. Bring your switch 1 (or 2) to the router and plug it into the same port on the router. Then plug the HD300 into the switch. (this identifies if you have a cable issue between the switch or the router). If you have the same issue with the switch plugged in the router using a different short cable, then it could be something in the switch. Is switch 1 and switch 2 the same brand? Do you have another router/switch lying around that you can test.

If your switch works when brought to the router, then you are likely dealing with a cable issue from the switch to the router (ie, cable you pulled through your house).

And just to clarify your topology...

Router (Cable modem Router or something like Asus, DLINK, etc)
Switch 1 and 2 - these are physically different rooms of the house and long stands of catx are run to each.

Normally if I'm going to pool multiple switches I don't bring them to my Router directly, I basically run them into another switch and then bring that switch into the router.

I also don't use Routers that a provided by your cable company for my DHCP, I'll use a good quality router for that, and then just run that router into the cable modem/router. My current setup looks like this...

Attached Images
File Type: png network.png (104.0 KB, 134 views)
Old 02-05-2022, 11:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sorry guys on not being able to get back on here and update. I went into my router and made a change and bricked it. I am not sure if the change I made bricked it or the reboot of it. But I could not get into it any more. So I worked on it last night and on and off today and finally got it back working. The problem was I had some rules and stuff in there and did not want to do a hard reset last night and lose them. So this morning I got into it with a console cable but could not do anything with it. So this afternoon I decided to hard factory reset it and I worked on it for quite a bit late this afternoon and evening. So all I can say is that I have run local ip address of 172.20.xx.xx for a very long time. But every time I would change to that in my dhcp server in the router I could not connect or the system was extremely slow. I was ready to look at a new router at this point. So I took a break and came back in and hard reset again and did not set up the 172.20.xx.xx. I left it go to default of 192.168.1.1 and it worked. Hm put in 172.20.xx.xx and it does not work again. I go back to 192.168.1.1 and it works. So next I picked a new series of numbers once again in the 172.xx.xx.xx and it works fine. So after I brought all of the devices back on line I went to the new sage box and hd 300 and it works good with both plugged into the switches as I had tried to do with them before. I have to believe that something with that old ip got corrupt or something. I don't have an answer other that it now works fine with the new ip address.

Keith
Yes these are a better grade than normal residencial stuff. When I bought this stuff to upgrade my system to gig I wanted better equipment.
Quote:
Also, are all of your devices using IP addresses starting with 172.20.20? I would try plugging the new server box and the HD300 that you are testing with into the same switch, the router would then only be used to initially assign the IP address.
Yes that is where I started out with the new box and hd.

Stuckless, thanks again for all of your help. I like your diagrams.

Quote:
Normally if I'm going to pool multiple switches I don't bring them to my Router directly, I basically run them into another switch and then bring that switch into the router.

I also don't use Routers that a provided by your cable company for my DHCP, I'll use a good quality router for that, and then just run that router into the cable modem/router. My current setup looks like this...
I run Cable modem to 4 port router to 2 switches all gig backbone
I also own all of my equipment.

Thanks again guys for your help
Wayne
Old 02-05-2022, 11:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Is practically every other line in a console window showing java doing garbage collection?

I'm on an old, old PC (Win XP!) with newer java and SageTV build & it slows down too. I updated the UI to allow turning off images while viewing recording lists, the schedule, etc., and that helped a bit, but not completely. I suspect there is something not getting along with other parts of the system.
I struggled with terrible UI performance on HD clients and Android clients, while PC clients ran well. Traced it to the 16bit Sage server running out of heap space and running garbage collection over and over. I went to 64bit Sage and bumped the Java heap up to an absurd size and everything was wonderful.