SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Information & Announcements > SageTV Downloads & Instructions
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Downloads & Instructions This forum is for discussions containing Downloads and Instructions related to the Open Source version of SageTV. Please do not post questions in this forum.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:13 PM
Sage Expert

libfaad.so.2 was not installed. I've installed it with the "libfaad-dev' package. The real challenge to running Ubuntu Server is finding out which packages are not installed by default. I haven't found a page that shows a comprehensive summary of installed packages by Ubuntu distribution ...
Old 04-24-2021, 01:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiso View Post
libfaad.so.2 was not installed. I've installed it with the "libfaad-dev' package. The real challenge to running Ubuntu Server is finding out which packages are not installed by default. I haven't found a page that shows a comprehensive summary of installed packages by Ubuntu distribution ...
I mentioned the docker containers before... The Docker command file is literally a recipe for how to setup sagetv on Linux .

https://github.com/stuckless/sagetv-...ase/Dockerfile

Just read through the commands you'll see the apt-get install command with all the required libraries (which includes libfaad)
Old 04-24-2021, 04:48 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I mentioned the docker containers before... The Docker command file is literally a recipe for how to setup sagetv on Linux ...
Just read through the commands you'll see the apt-get install command with all the required libraries (which includes libfaad)
I appreciate the help, and don't take this the wrong way, but installing and configuring Docker are not the same as installing and configuring a Linux SageTV server. I would not assume that any and all of the elements that are required to run Docker are the same as those required to run a Linux server. I was also leery of inappropriately adding or installing elements that were not required in a Linux configuration.

I've encountered a few instances where I've had to install packages that were not installed by the server distribution, but were also excluded from lists of prerequisites (on multiple sites), ostensibly because most Ubuntu-based installations guides assume v18.04 (versus 20.04), Desktop distribution, or some combination that is not 20.04 (64) Server. I'm not that bothered by that, in that I'd prefer to manually install something that's missing and required, than to install something superfluous for this system.

I've seen that there are threads based on Docker installations, but my intent with this thread was to focus on the requirements and challenges of a build based on a server distribution of Linux. To be clear, I'm chasing some "bells and whistles" now; the server does scheduled captures from a Colossus 2, via HDMI (audio and video) with AC3 (Dolby Digital).

I'm not overly concerned with playback of Imported Video (I can always use a different server for that) but I would like to get this system to tune as a Network Encoder.

Baby steps ...
Old 04-25-2021, 06:34 AM
SageTVaholic

I think you tune out reading whenever you see the word "docker", which is unfortunate

While I think that USING docker is your best experience for running SageTV on Linux, you don't have to use it... but if you take the time to just read through the docker scripts you'll gain a better understanding of how to configure sagetv for Linux.

As I said before the Docker files is a set of command lines that the docker tools use to setup and configure a LINUX environment to run sagetv.

At some point you are likely going to ask "how do I get gentuner to work in Linux with sagetv"... and there's a script in the Docker files for adding that... showing the command lines that you need to run on some machine to make that happen.

All I'm trying to convey, if you can get past the word "docker" is that much of the information that you need is in those files, if you take the time to review them. This files are are NOT how do I configure sagetv for Docker... but they are "how do I setup and configure a Linux machine for SageTV" because Docker is a ubuntu linux machine (in this case).

Quote:
I appreciate the help, and don't take this the wrong way, but installing and configuring Docker are not the same as installing and configuring a Linux SageTV server. I would not assume that any and all of the elements that are required to run Docker are the same as those required to run a Linux server. I was also leery of inappropriately adding or installing elements that were not required in a Linux configuration.

I've encountered a few instances where I've had to install packages that were not installed by the server distribution, but were also excluded from lists of prerequisites (on multiple sites), ostensibly because most Ubuntu-based installations guides assume v18.04 (versus 20.04), Desktop distribution, or some combination that is not 20.04 (64) Server. I'm not that bothered by that, in that I'd prefer to manually install something that's missing and required, than to install something superfluous for this system.

I've seen that there are threads based on Docker installations, but my intent with this thread was to focus on the requirements and challenges of a build based on a server distribution of Linux. To be clear, I'm chasing some "bells and whistles" now; the server does scheduled captures from a Colossus 2, via HDMI (audio and video) with AC3 (Dolby Digital).

I'm not overly concerned with playback of Imported Video (I can always use a different server for that) but I would like to get this system to tune as a Network Encoder.

Baby steps ...
Old 04-25-2021, 08:44 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
... if you take the time to just read through the docker scripts you'll gain a better understanding of how to configure sagetv for Linux. As I said before the Docker files is a set of command lines that the docker tools use to setup and configure a LINUX environment to run sagetv...
I have read through posts and threads (some with 30+ posts) on Docker configuration and setup, but doing so only provides a better understanding if the post or script mentions the intent and action of a command. I don't think it makes sense for a user to blindly copy a series of commands just because someone else used them in his configuration.

Less than two years ago, I successfully built a Linux-based Sage server, with full tuning, network encoding, and Media Center capabilities. Things have changed in the landscape of the system build. It's not surprising to face challenges as a result of these changes, but I think they can be overcome. I'm using different (newer) versions of SageTV, Ubuntu, and Java JRE, as well as incorporating a different capture (streaming) device. I knew I could not just do as I did before.

The issues and stumbling blocks that I'm facing seem to be Linux permissions-based. The behaviors are not experienced when using Windows systems connected to the same shares or network. And because SageTV is a multi-faceted media center, I can say that I have been able to build a perfectly functional "network-integrated DVR". The server captures, streams, tunes, organizes, and archives perfectly. The "extra" features of SageTV (network encoder integration, Media Library playback) are the areas that are failing.

Perhaps the Docker configuration sets those permissions to afford its server the same level of functionality as a Windows-based server (which should be the standard), but I have not seen information that focuses on this aspect ...
Old 06-07-2021, 11:15 PM
Sage Expert

To put a bow onto this, I was able to get my Network Encoding Host server set up as intended. My intent was to create a Linux-based SageTV server, which acted as a host for three (or four) Hauppauge Colossus 2 capture cards. The capture sources would be used as Network Encoders by other servers.

I decided to blow away the first patchwork attempt at a system build, and again started with a server distribution of Ubuntu 20.04 (64-bit). This entire installation was done with command line, and pretty much updated and managed via SSH sessions from various PCs, as the mood hit me

I then installed a headless, 64-bit version of Java JRE (1.8.0_292), and then 64-bit SageTVserver (v9.1.10.479). I set up mount points to NFS shares on a NAS for Video Capture directories.

Finally, I installed and configured OpenDCT (as chronicled in this post), adding a script for tuning and capturing from the cards.

Everything is installed and running now. I currently have two servers accessing the Colossus 2 cards as Network Encoders. The cards replaced old HD-PVR devices that I've used for years. The motherboard has an unused PCIe slot, that may one day house a fourth Colossus 2, but for now, I'm happy with reproducing my previous configurations.

In all, it was a fun project. It was a nice throwback to be immersed in command line again; using clunky text editors, and scouring the internet for obscure commands and syntax. It's not for everyone, but if you want a simple, task-specific encoding server, this may be an option to consider.

As a postscript, I'm really pleased that the guts of this server are that of a $99 Micro Center business refurb system ...
Old 06-08-2021, 07:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Cool - what are the sources? Cable boxes? How are you tuning? Via IR or something else?
Old 06-08-2021, 08:42 AM
Sage Expert

They are DirecTV boxes, tuned via ethernet ...
Old 06-08-2021, 09:33 AM
SageTVaholic

It would be nice if everything had ethernet tuning. What method are you using for tuning - gentuner that is part of the Linux version of SageTV?
Old 06-08-2021, 01:15 PM
Sage Expert

Gentuner was one of the elements that choked on my first build of this server. I opted to bypass it completely when I went the OpenDCT route, as referenced in the linked thread. I created a simple script to both tune and capture in one fell swoop ...
Old 06-08-2021, 01:52 PM
SageTVaholic

I didn't know that OpenDCT provided external tuning capabilities. Or did you have to build that yourself?
Old 06-08-2021, 04:24 PM
Sage Expert

I'm no expert on OpenDCT: I only found out about it during this build, as discussed in the other thread, but the good thing about it is that it's highly flexible and not restrictive. The old Windows Generic Tuner was pretty generic, presenting only source and channel. The Linux gentuner had more restrictions built into it. With OpenDCT you can call whatever script you specify from a line of the .properties file ...
Old 06-09-2021, 04:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm no expert on OpenDCT: I only found out about it during this build, as discussed in the other thread, but the good thing about it is that it's highly flexible and not restrictive. The old Windows Generic Tuner was pretty generic, presenting only source and channel. The Linux gentuner had more restrictions built into it. With OpenDCT you can call whatever script you specify from a line of the .properties file ...
I'm trying to figure out if I'm just not understanding the word "restrictions". The Linux gentuner was a tuning interface that allowed you to pretty much do anything via scripts. Because of that, it was pretty flexible, and maybe that flexibility was intimidating to someone that doesn't know scripting. Is that what you mean here? or do you really mean that the tool was restrictive?
Old 06-09-2021, 07:19 AM
SageTVaholic

@stuckless - I just wanted to say thank you very much for continuing to check these forums and to help keep things running. Is there a way that we can show our appreciation - like a donation to a charity that you support?
Old 06-09-2021, 07:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out if I'm just not understanding the word "restrictions". The Linux gentuner was a tuning interface that allowed you to pretty much do anything via scripts. Because of that, it was pretty flexible, and maybe that flexibility was intimidating to someone that doesn't know scripting. Is that what you mean here? or do you really mean that the tool was restrictive?
That was my impression as well - gentuner should be very flexible to allow you to use scripts to set up any sort of tuning device that isn't directly supported. I never had to use it as I use Firewire tuning on my Rogers cable boxes and the Firewire support in the DVB edition of the SageTV docker worked flawlessly.

As for other tuning methods - I have a home automation system called Control4. In that community I found out about a device called a Global Cache GC-100. This device connects to your LAN via ethernet and has six ports that can be used for IR blasting or sensing an open/closed connection. This appears to work with SageTV (there are threads on this) so this would be an ideal tuning device, I don't know why it wasn't used more. That's my backup plan if I can't use Firewire any more.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:27 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I had a lengthy discussion a few years back as I initially set up a gentuner controlled server. I ultimately got the system working, and did so for the initial build of this system, so I know it works, but I was initially tripped up by the fact that gentuner required user declarations and commands.

I think it requires 'REMOTES' to be defined, and had some specific commands for tuning. An OpenDCT (or Windows Generic Tuner) script has no such requirement; any and all code can be written around the two Sage-provided tuning parameters of "Channel" and "Device" ...
Old 06-09-2021, 10:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I had a lengthy discussion a few years back as I initially set up a gentuner controlled server. I ultimately got the system working, and did so for the initial build of this system, so I know it works, but I was initially tripped up by the fact that gentuner required user declarations and commands.

I think it requires 'REMOTES' to be defined, and had some specific commands for tuning. An OpenDCT (or Windows Generic Tuner) script has no such requirement; any and all code can be written around the two Sage-provided tuning parameters of "Channel" and "Device" ...
Yes, when I first worked with it I had to get past this too. It's not just a simple script, it has to respond to SageTV with tuner info as well as pass arguments to other programs or scripts. I finally found a sample script that was similar to what I needed, and was able to modify it for my own purposes.

I run into this all the time with my own company's documentation. Once you are an expert, then the docs make sense. But to a newb it's quite confusing.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
Yes, when I first worked with it I had to get past this too. It's not just a simple script, it has to respond to SageTV with tuner info as well as pass arguments to other programs or scripts. I finally found a sample script that was similar to what I needed, and was able to modify it for my own purposes.

I run into this all the time with my own company's documentation. Once you are an expert, then the docs make sense. But to a newb it's quite confusing.
Yeah, I guess you are correct... I mean, I would think that this sample from the gentuner repo would be pretty easy to digest, but, if you don't know anything about scripting, then I can see where that would be intimidating.

Code:
CMD=$1
REMOTE=$2
KEY=$3
CHANNEL=$3

if [ "$CMD" = "REMOTES" ]; then
    echo "STB1"
elif [ "$CMD" = "KEYS" ]; then
    echo "not required"
elif [ "$CMD" = "SEND" ]; then
    echo "not required"
    exit 1
elif [ "$CMD" = "TUNE" ]; then
    if [ "$REMOTE" == "STB1" ]; then
	IP="192.168.100.100"
    fi
    wget "http://$IP/RemoteControl?Numbers=$3&EnterNumber=Submit" > /dev/null 2>&1
elif [ "$CMD" = "CAN_TUNE" ]; then
    echo "OK"
else
    exit 1
fi
Old 06-09-2021, 12:32 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Yeah, I guess you are correct... I mean, I would think that this sample from the gentuner repo would be pretty easy to digest, but, if you don't know anything about scripting, then I can see where that would be intimidating ...
We've already addressed this. I mentioned that I created a functional genutuner script. I'm not intimidated by scripts or batch files, and have been able to create fully functional scripts that perform as needed ...
Old 06-09-2021, 12:36 PM
Sage Expert

One other thing I failed to mention regarding the server setup. I added a stratup script to ensure that the Colossus devices are available after a system reboot. This issue was discussed in the MythTV/Colussus 2 setup instructions, mentioned in the other thread ...