SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Information & Announcements > SageTV Downloads & Instructions
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Downloads & Instructions This forum is for discussions containing Downloads and Instructions related to the Open Source version of SageTV. Please do not post questions in this forum.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Sage User

These instructions definitely get you up and running. I ran thru the build several times with a few variations and found a couple issues.

1. firewall-applet prevented hd-homerun discovery every time, I uninstalled it and used gwfu without any issues. Here an easy step to get hd-homerun up and going:

sudo apt-get install hdhomerun-config hdhomerun-config-gui

2. In step 7 where you download the zip package from bintray.com and overwrite SageTV7.xml and Sage.Jar; this consistently caused java core crashes during recordings. When I skipped this step I was able to reliably record multiple channels simultaneously. I think you had it right the first time.

I did try a gui-less server installation, it works but UI fonts are messed up - probably would need to add some font packages for this to work right?

I noticed the install size is about the same between ubuntu desktop and server after you add the gnome gui to the server, you might as well use ubuntu desktop, it works better if you want a UI.

Recordings copied from my windows SageTV 7 server have problems with time and length such that you can't play the entire recording. OSS must interpret the embedded metadata differently?
Old 01-01-2016, 04:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgkent View Post
These instructions definitely get you up and running. I ran thru the build several times with a few variations and found a couple issues.

1. firewall-applet prevented hd-homerun discovery every time, I uninstalled it and used gwfu without any issues. Here an easy step to get hd-homerun up and going:

sudo apt-get install hdhomerun-config hdhomerun-config-gui

2. In step 7 where you download the zip package from bintray.com and overwrite SageTV7.xml and Sage.Jar; this consistently caused java core crashes during recordings. When I skipped this step I was able to reliably record multiple channels simultaneously. I think you had it right the first time.

I did try a gui-less server installation, it works but UI fonts are messed up - probably would need to add some font packages for this to work right?

I noticed the install size is about the same between ubuntu desktop and server after you add the gnome gui to the server, you might as well use ubuntu desktop, it works better if you want a UI.

Recordings copied from my windows SageTV 7 server have problems with time and length such that you can't play the entire recording. OSS must interpret the embedded metadata differently?
Thanks for the adds, I'll try to add them into the first post. As for the full install, I think you are correct. Initially I was trying to keep down size, but I agree with your thoughts that its not worth the extra complexity to the install (doesn't seem to buy anything).

I did some work with the "firewall-cmd" command to open ports from the command line, but I could never manage to disable whatever was needed to make hdhomerun discovery work.

The only way I could get "hdhomerun_config discover" to work was to basically flush all firewall tables ( "iptables -F" ). Mind you, this only works until reboot when the firewall re-reads everything from the config file. I was hoping to better figure out a solution, but I'm time limited and have not had the chance yet.

Last edited by SageWizdom; 01-01-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageWizdom View Post
I did some work with the "firewall-cmd" command to open ports from the command line, but I could never manage to disable whatever was needed to make hdhomerun discovery work.
The HDHomeRun discover needs to accept UDP broadcast traffic from source port 65001. I don't think firewall-cmd can specify source ports (even with rich rules), so you'll need to use iptables to get it to work. This should do the trick:

Code:
iptables -I INPUT -p udp -m udp --sport 65001 -j ACCEPT
Old 01-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Sage User

I have already have Sage TV server running on Ubuntu but I want to update to new newest version (9.0.3.194) What are the step ?

Is it ?:
1) Download the SageTV binary(sagetv-server_9.0.3_amd64.tar.gz)
2) Extract it
3) Download the SageJar-9.0.3.194.zip file
4) Unzip and replace the both Sage.jar and SageTV.xml

Do I have to re-download the Lucene Jar file?

Do I have to save any file so I did not loose my configuration?
Old 01-12-2016, 08:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigl View Post
I have already have Sage TV server running on Ubuntu but I want to update to new newest version (9.0.3.194) What are the step ?

Is it ?:
1) Download the SageTV binary(sagetv-server_9.0.3_amd64.tar.gz)
2) Extract it
3) Download the SageJar-9.0.3.194.zip file
4) Unzip and replace the both Sage.jar and SageTV.xml

Do I have to re-download the Lucene Jar file?

Do I have to save any file so I did not loose my configuration?
If, you installed the sagetv server initially using the .tar.gz file, then the upgrade is the same as the install, ie, you extract ALL of it over the existing files. (new builds is more than just .jar and .xml files, there are new binaries as well)

If you installed the sagetv server using the .deb package, then upgrading would involve re-installing the new package.

On a clean install, there should be no downloading/re-downloading of the lucene jar for installation or upgrade.

Personally before I upgrade any installation, I shut down sagetv server (so that the Sage.properties is updated), and then I back up the server directory, and then I do the install. That way, I can revert, easily, if I need to.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:46 PM
Sage User

Java Crashes can't get rid of them

So IGKENT mentioned clearing up getting JAVA crashes but I tried not overwriting the JAR mentioned but I still get "./startsagecore: line 48: 10513 Aborted (core dumped) java -Djava.awt.headless=$HEADLESS $JAVAMEM -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=25 -XX:GCTimeRatio=24 -XX:ThreadPriorityPolicy=1 $JAVAOPTS -cp Sage.jar:.:/:$(echo JARs/*.jar | sed 's/ �*/:/g') sage.Sage 0 0 x "sagetv Sage.properties" 0>&-"
It happens whenever I change channels or SageTV finishes a recording.
Any ideas????
Old 01-28-2016, 08:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolah View Post
The HDHomeRun discover needs to accept UDP broadcast traffic from source port 65001. I don't think firewall-cmd can specify source ports (even with rich rules), so you'll need to use iptables to get it to work. This should do the trick:

Code:
iptables -I INPUT -p udp -m udp --sport 65001 -j ACCEPT
Awesome. I will try to add this into the above in the right spot. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigl View Post
Stuckless is definitely the pro. Please post if you were unable to get it to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarlus View Post
So IGKENT mentioned clearing up getting JAVA crashes but I tried not overwriting the JAR mentioned but I still get "./startsagecore: line 48: 10513 Aborted (core dumped) java -Djava.awt.headless=$HEADLESS $JAVAMEM -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=25 -XX:GCTimeRatio=24 -XX:ThreadPriorityPolicy=1 $JAVAOPTS -cp Sage.jar:.:/:$(echo JARs/*.jar | sed 's/ �*/:/g') sage.Sage 0 0 x "sagetv Sage.properties" 0>&-"
It happens whenever I change channels or SageTV finishes a recording.
Any ideas????
What is in your SageTV log files? I'm not a Java expert, but the last several entries in the most recent log file may shed some additional light on the issue.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

I updated the post with the below note warning folks that Sage Client does not currently output sound. I haven't managed to figure out the problem (its a little tough as I don't normally use my server as a client). I believe it is mplayer (as vlc plays with audio), if you have thoughts or a fix, I'd love to hear them / add them to the instructions. Thanks.

** Important Note: At present, I can not get the SageTV client working on the linux host (no sound). This has not been an issue for me as I do not use my server as a playback system. If you have fixed this or need help, please post.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I updated the post with the below note warning folks that Sage Client does not currently output sound. I haven't managed to figure out the problem (its a little tough as I don't normally use my server as a client). I believe it is mplayer (as vlc plays with audio), if you have thoughts or a fix, I'd love to hear them / add them to the instructions. Thanks.

** Important Note: At present, I can not get the SageTV client working on the linux host (no sound). This has not been an issue for me as I do not use my server as a playback system. If you have fixed this or need help, please post.
I think stuckless knows what the problem is. Look at this post where he commented on a mediainfo I did for him.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...9&postcount=23
Old 02-05-2016, 06:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranockcir View Post
I think stuckless knows what the problem is. Look at this post where he commented on a mediainfo I did for him.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...9&postcount=23
To be honest, I think this is a combination of needing to have ALSA installed and ensuring that the mplayer has all the sound libraries installed when doing the compile. I haven't tested this in a bit (since I never use placeshifter on my linux box), but I'll give this a try on the weekend and see what happens.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
To be honest, I think this is a combination of needing to have ALSA installed and ensuring that the mplayer has all the sound libraries installed when doing the compile. I haven't tested this in a bit (since I never use placeshifter on my linux box), but I'll give this a try on the weekend and see what happens.
Awesome. I use the linux client a lot, locally on the LAN, which doesn't have sound in my case and placeshifting from the outside, which is a mixed bag. Laptops or desktops with Nvidia and ATI graphics work Ok when placeshifting but laptops and desktops with Intel graphics have no video but do have sound when placeshifting.

Good thing I have your Android MiniClient, it works great. I also made up a RemixOS Thumb drive and run the Android MiniClient from it on a testing PC I have at work.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:35 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Hopefully in the near, near future, I'm going to update this walkthrough to include...
  • Install Linux (link to other post)
  • Configure Ubuntu (all via terminal)
  • Install Sage (from .deb files)
  • Configure server autostart at boot
  • Install PrimeNetEncoder (link to other post)
  • Configure PNE autostart at boot
  • Install WebClient/MobileWebClient/Sagex
  • Install SageClient

My goal is to have a walkthrough that works every time...

Please comment if there are any additional features that folks would like to see included in the walkthrough (ex. commands / other)
Thank you for doing this walkthrough. If you could also link to other posts for firewire channel changing, I think that will happen people with the installation.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 02-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
Thank you for doing this walkthrough. If you could also link to other posts for firewire channel changing, I think that will happen people with the installation.
I'm happy to link in any recommended posts. I'm not sure which you are suggesting above, but if you wouldn't mind posting them I'll throw them in. I only have network HDHR encoders, so I'm not sure I understand firewire channel changing, please don't hesitate to suggest additional text or where you believe this would best fit.

Thanks.