SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstanley View Post
I actually bought my brackets from eBay but I wanted to find a reliable link to show what they looked like. I followed this guide here:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mounting...PVR_Internally

I have Molex tools and used cut off cables from dead power supply's that I had from old HD-PVR's

Dwight
This is a great idea, indeed. I thought I was the only one who was replacing HDPVR power supplies I've bought them from several places, but I now usually just end up buying them direct from Hauppauge. The last time I bought twice as many as I needed, and I'm already on my last set
Old 08-02-2015, 06:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Sorry it took me so long to get back. Apparently I got it and my HDHomeRun power supply mixed up. I had ordered one from Digi-Key. The one on my HD-PVR is and old D-Link power supply, model AF1805-A 5.0v 3A.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've been investigating spare power supplies for my HD-PVR also. Based on the experiences shared here, that's the weakest link, so I should have a spare or two. Due to the room layout, my HD-PVR is about 10 feet from the SageTV server computer. USB works OK over that distance, but I'm thinking there might be too much voltage drop on 5V DC unless I used really large wire. Although I like the "PC power supply and bracket" approach, I'm going to stick with a standalone power supply. (also, there might be "ground loop" issues - differences between the PC's ground potential and the component video input ground. I know that's a common problem with audio, but I'm not sure if it would be equally problematic with analog video).

There are many 5V 3A power supplies available, with varying levels of quality.
From my measurements, the HD-PVR power connectors is 5.5mm OD and 1.3mm ID.
Most of these off the shelf power supplies have 5.5mm by 2.1 or 2.5mm ID connectors. So you can hope it is reliable with a bit of mis-alignment, or cut off the plugs from bad power supplies and solder them on the new.

Here's an example of one that looks very similar to the original, but has the 2.5 mm ID plug.

I'm thinking that if 3A supplies have a short lifetime, maybe 4A or 5A capacity would be less stressed and last longer?

One I found is from All Electronics
CAT Number PS-544. This is a laptop-style 5V 4A inline supply, rather than a wall-wart style.

Edit June 2016 - PS-544 is gone, but PS-534 is a 5V 3A supply http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-supply/1.html

There are also a number of open-frame type 5V 5A supplies for LEDs (such as this). They appear to be Chinese imports of unknown quality. One commenter mentioned excessive ripple so they may not be usable for HD-PVRs.

From commercial distributors like Mouser, there are some options:
That is 5V 5A but the plug is 2.1mm ID. It's a bit expensive for quantity 1 because Mouser is a commercial distributor and doesn't want small orders. I'm not convinced buying a product from a unknown manufacturer like "Meanwell" through Mouser is worthwhile, when comparing to a similar product from an unknown manufacturer (UpBright) on eBay at half the price.

I think I'll order one or two from All Electronics and see how it performs.
HD300 extender with (2020 New Build) SageTV 64 bit V9.2.2.903 (service mode), Running on Windows 10 (64 bit), Intel Core i7-10700K CPU, 16G RAM, GIGABYTE Z490 UD motherboard. NVidia GTX1650 Super; Viewsonic LCD on one output and Mitsubishi WD57734 HDTV via DVI/HDMI on other output. HDHomeRun HDHR5-4US tuner, Hauppauge "Siena" 1512 HD-PVR2 connected to Cisco Cable modem from Spectrum, tuned with USB-UIRT.

Last edited by timg11; 06-10-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg11 View Post
One I found is from All Electronics
CAT Number PS-544. This is a laptop-style 5V 4A inline supply, rather than a wall-wart style.
I have received the PS-544 from All Electronics. I can confirm that it works with the HD-PVR. I did have to change the plug, since the one it comes with is the wrong diameter.
HD300 extender with (2020 New Build) SageTV 64 bit V9.2.2.903 (service mode), Running on Windows 10 (64 bit), Intel Core i7-10700K CPU, 16G RAM, GIGABYTE Z490 UD motherboard. NVidia GTX1650 Super; Viewsonic LCD on one output and Mitsubishi WD57734 HDTV via DVI/HDMI on other output. HDHomeRun HDHR5-4US tuner, Hauppauge "Siena" 1512 HD-PVR2 connected to Cisco Cable modem from Spectrum, tuned with USB-UIRT.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:04 PM
SageTVaholic

I finally started doing the same thing Stuckless does, I just buy them from Hauppauge.

You folks that have had a few of these go out, are there telltale signs, other than the unit simply won't record anymore? Over the last two months or so, my in-service HD-PVR has started to pause for about 8 seconds as it starts to record. I have my recording delay set quite short as I recall, but when I dialed that in, it was working very well. I wonder if something changed on the STB.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I finally started doing the same thing Stuckless does, I just buy them from Hauppauge.

You folks that have had a few of these go out, are there telltale signs, other than the unit simply won't record anymore? Over the last two months or so, my in-service HD-PVR has started to pause for about 8 seconds as it starts to record. I have my recording delay set quite short as I recall, but when I dialed that in, it was working very well. I wonder if something changed on the STB.
The problem is that constantly using power supplies that will go out is that then could eventually cause permanent damage to the attached device.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

When mine went out, I started noticing a delay, then started getting some sound dropouts. About 2 weeks later I rebooted the computer and it wouldn't recognize the device under usb. I replaced with Dlink one.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:50 PM
Sage

Thanks for the recommendation here...I did the 5V+ molex connector to the HDPVRs this past weekend and it's working beautifully.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Got a photo of that connection, Narflex?
Old 08-22-2015, 04:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Got a photo of that connection, Narflex?
No photo, sorry. But it's really easy to do.

1. Cut the transformer/adapter off the dead HDPVR power supply and strip each of the wires. Identify which is +/- using a continuity tester.

2. Prepare a molex connector with the red (+5V) and black (GND) wires stripped.

3. Solder the negative from the HDPVR cable to the black molex wire, and the positive from the HDPVR cable to the red molex wire, then wrap them in electrical tape.

4. Hook it up. (I found a bracket from an old VGA card that had a big enough hole in it, then just put that in the backplane of my server case and fed the wires through that)
Old 08-22-2015, 05:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
.... Identify which is +/- using a continuity tester.
Fingers crossed, I don't burn the house down.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Don't these newbies know to search before they ask questions?
Here's a long running thread about HD-PVR power supplies and replacements.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57010
Old 08-26-2015, 01:14 AM
SageTVaholic

It's a shame is that the HD-PVR2 runs on pesky 6V instead of the much happier 5V.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-26-2015, 05:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

1. Cut the transformer/adapter off the dead HDPVR power supply and strip each of the wires. Identify which is +/- using a continuity tester.

3. Solder the negative from the HDPVR cable to the black molex wire, and the positive from the HDPVR cable to the red molex wire, then wrap them in electrical tape.

4. Hook it up. (I found a bracket from an old VGA card that had a big enough hole in it, then just put that in the backplane of my server case and fed the wires through that)
four pictures are worth 4,000 words
if you ever get time, it would be great to see those four steps in color
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-26-2015, 06:52 PM
SageTVaholic

I did the same thing - here is my photo. I used butt connectors rather than soldering.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/zw...=w1104-h828-no
Old 08-26-2015, 07:36 PM
SageTVaholic

the HDPVR is up on top?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-26-2015, 07:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes - it is on a shelf a few feet away with my cable boxes. I have three cable boxes and two HD-PVRs although I will soon be hooking up a third HD-PVR.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:56 PM
SageTVaholic

excellent idea labelling the end of the drives
Old 08-26-2015, 08:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
excellent idea labelling the end of the drives
You learn by experience! In fact it is a good idea to have different drive sizes or manufacturers to know which one to pull when the drive goes bad. Luckily this server doesn't have two of any of the same drive, unlike some of my previous hardware.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:32 PM
Sage User

Quote:

THIS! BEST IDEA EVER! I knew I read it somewhere. I just spliced my power supply from the CPU to my HD-PVR and it is working perfectly now! I only went through two Hauppauge power supplies!

Thanks guys!

Ricky
Dell Inspiron 530 desktop, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 ghz, 6 gigs of RAM, 1 WesternDigital 750 gig hard drive partitioned in 75 gig/675 gig, 1 Seagate 2 TeraByte Hard drive: 1 HDHR Prime-CC, 1 Hauppauge HD-PVR with Hauppauge 45 button remote with blaster to control 1 Explorer 4640HDC, Windows 7 64bit SP1 all updates applied, SageTV 9.1.7.757, Java v1.7.0_79, SageTV Webserver v3.3, SageTV Mobile Web Interface v2.1.0.47, 2 Hauppauge MediaMPVs & 1 Helius MPV.