SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Installing Java Updates for SageTV

Several people have reported problems running SageTV after updating to the latest version of Java (here, among other topics).

Before installing a Java update, you must first close SageTV and any other application using Java. I've heard that the previous Java installers warned when a Java-using app was still open, but that the latest installer is not showing that warning.

Remember: if you are using SageTV in service mode, you must first stop the service. This can be done using the SageTVServiceControl.exe utility, found in the SageTV install directory or in Windows' Start -> All Programs -> SageTV, or by running Windows' services.msc service manager. If the SageTVServiceControl.exe utility was used to stop the SageTV service, be sure to close it once the service has been stopped.

If you have already installed the Java update and SageTV is not working properly, then be sure to exit SageTV (and the service), uninstall Java, then reinstall it. You may need to disable the SageTV service and restart Windows before Java can be uninstalled and reinstalled.

Java can be installed from any of these sites & possibly others:
If you are installing Java version 7 or later, be sure to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable runtime files.

Also see:
FAQ: How do I update Java on my Windows PC?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Sage User

2 SageTV systems down

I was glad to see your post because I have two SageTV systems down. My own, and my daughter's. My daughter's has been down for two weeks and mind has not been working since 11:30 PM Monday.

I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java on my machine. The Java file I downloaded was "jre-6u12-windows-i586-p-iftw-k.exe".

After uninstalling and reinstalling Java, I downloaded and installed the latest version of SageTV Media Center, Version 6 5 9, and rebooted my machine.

Unfortunately, when trying to run "SageTVServiceControl.exe" I get the error:

"Could not find JAR file.

An exception occured with Java:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/swing/JFrame

OK"

In other words, I still have two systems down. What do I do now?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Wrong file. That is an optional download you don't need. Grab the one above it. It's about 15.5 MB in size. jre-6u12-windows-i586-p.exe
Make sure SageTV is NOT running before performing the upgrade.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Sage User

You are right, that is the file needed, but ...

Thanks for the help.

You are right, the file needed is "jre-6u12-windows-i586-p.exe", but you are wrong about how I got the wrong file. I think it is important for others to add some clarity. I went to the site:

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

and clicked on the "Free Download Button". The site decided which file I needed and it chose the "jre-6u12-windows-i586-p-iftw-k.exe" file. This is important because I first got this update by simply responding tot he Java notice on my desktop that there was a new version. I believe Jave chose this version because I have Google Chrome on both systems. the "jre-6u12-windows-i586-p-iftw-k.exe" version is supposed to have extensions for Google Chrome.

The only site location I could find that allowed downloading the correct version is here:

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Thanks again for your help and I hope this clarifies things for others.

Last edited by John.Kelly; 03-21-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Sage User

I messed up and java did an update with my Sageservice running. I can disable the sage service, but cannot get rid of the java 6-16 update. When I go to control panel/remove programs it tells me that the initial install failed and ends. I tried deleting the java folder and still can't reinstall as it has some remnant somewhere and kicks the reinstall out. Any ideas, I just did a system reinstall last week......argggggh.

Dan
Old 09-06-2009, 03:46 PM
SageTVaholic

If you have Windows System Restore running roll back to just before the install. ANother thing to try is instead of going thru add/remove just rerun the install. You might get an option to repair the install.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Sage User

thanks Gplasky,
I guess my post wasn't the clearest, I've tried to reinstall the java app, but it won't let me, says it's already installed and quits. I'll try system restore and see if that works.

Dan
Old 09-06-2009, 07:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Or go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall Java before trying to reinstall it.

Just deleting the installation directory is almost never the right answer. You really want to run the uninstaller first if possible.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:35 AM
Sage User

GKusnic,
I was using control panel/add remove option as my first step after disabling Sage, but that didn't work. Tells me the update was corrupted and quits leaving it there. My second step was to try to delete the directory and reboot as in an earlier post someone had suggested. I can't uninstall, I can't reinstall, I tried a system restore to prior to the java 6-16 update and it left me with a windows screen and no icons or start menu after 1 hour. Guess I have no option but to do a complete system install again.

Dan

Edit: Is there a directory or file I can back up in Sage to save my recording information? I'd like to salvage that if possible.
Edit2: Nevermind found it. Looks like Wiz.bin is what I need.

Last edited by DanB50; 09-07-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:16 AM
Sage User

Woopee! Got it fixed without reinstalling Windows. Turns out in order to remove the java update I needed to restart a java process that I had disabled in the control panel/admin/services section. After uninstalling and then reinstalling the update I'm back to normal. Thanks to all who chimed in.

Dan
Old 11-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

Also, there are times when Java will install a new version in addition to the old one, rather than upgrading the one that's there. This often causes problems with Sage. You should check add/remove programs, and if there is more than one Java version listed, manually uninstall the older one (again, follow instructions here to shut down SageTV and service, etc.) for best results.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Sage Expert

That's a good point. I had that happen on a system once. I had Sage shut down so I uninstalled both and went to the Java site and got the latest and greatest.
Asus P5Q Premium MB, E6750, 4GB RAM, 32-bit XP Pro SP3, 3Ware 9590SE controller, 80GB 7.2K Laptop boot drive w/SuperSpeed Cache Utility & eBoostr, (1) KWorld ATSC-110, (1) 950Q USB, (1) 2250 tuner, (1) HD-PVR using USB-UIRT, (1) 1600 Dual card, (1) DVICO Fusion 5 Gold, (1) Hauppauge 1250, (1) Hauppauge 2250, 8 various storage HD's, NEC-based x1 USB add-on card, 2 outdoor antennas capturing 2 different OTA markets, Dish Network w/HD Receiver for HD-PVR.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:11 AM

Java upgrades keep failing

For the last few months java updates keep failing, in the sense that I can't start SageTV after the update, and have to roll back. The system complains about a missing java dll file. I tried again today, and it again failed. Thank goodness the windows rollback/system restore works.
I'm at sagetv 6.6.2.218 and java 1.6.026 , under windows 7. I have used sagetv since 2004 (and have upgraded both java as well as sagetv since...).

Is this version of sagetv stuck at needing an old java version?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Sage User

I'd upgrade to Version 7 using

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56225

all you have to do is shut down the services for Sage then replace teh files.. and voila.. you're at V.7

Cheers
Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotliner View Post
I'd upgrade to Version 7 using

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56225

all you have to do is shut down the services for Sage then replace teh files.. and voila.. you're at V.7

Cheers
Not exactly correct. You need to do more than this. You have to:

Close SageTV, and stop the service
Install sagetv 7.1.9 from the download links at the top of the sagetv software forum
Then replace the .exe files with the ones in the above mentioned thread.
THEN you're at v7.1.9, using your v6 key.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Sage User

SageTV v7.1.9 and Java 7u5

Is SageTV v7.1.9 compatible with the latest Java, 7u5? If not, is there going to be a SageTV update? Soon?
Old 09-28-2012, 04:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Just updated Java on a Sage Client machine -- now Sage doesn't run. I recommend holding off on Java updates until we get this resolved.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

FWIW: Java 7U7 is working fine on my client.

I have, however, decided to NOT update it generally without checking here from this point forward.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Just updated Java on a Sage Client machine -- now Sage doesn't run. I recommend holding off on Java updates until we get this resolved.
I don't think that "doesn't run" is a problem that users have had when updating Java to date. I am running a mix of the latest Java 6 and 7 x86 installs with no problems.

I would suggest shutting down the client and then trying a reinstall/repair, see Fuzzy's instructions a few posts back. I think some users have also suggested a complete uninstall of the previous version(s) and then a subsequent clean install.

Good luck.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've restarted the client, uninstalled and then reinstalled, tried x86 and x64 versions, the works. I get two error messages. The first is "The program can't start because MSVCR100.dll is missing from your computer." The second says that jvm.dll is missing. But Java seems to install just peachy. Curious.