SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-02-2023, 11:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

HD200: CODEC Flash?

More-and-more frequently my HD200s are unable to play .MKV files and I have to resort to using MX Player Pro.

I am guessing that the world has moved on CODEC-wise since the days of the HD 200.

If that is the case, is there any way to re-flash an HD 200 with newer CODECs?
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna
Old 04-02-2023, 11:51 AM
Sage Expert

The extenders are stuck with their current codec selection. I believe there is proprietary/licensed code in the extender firmware so it was never open sourced like the rest of SageTV was. You would need to transcode the files for them to play.

I gave up on my HD300's last year because of this problem and I have been using the Windows client instead. Which itself also has problems with newer codecs as well (often MP4 files will not be seekable), but the problems aren't as bad the extenders.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCress View Post
More-and-more frequently my HD200s are unable to play .MKV files and I have to resort to using MX Player Pro.

I am guessing that the world has moved on CODEC-wise since the days of the HD 200.

If that is the case, is there any way to re-flash an HD 200 with newer CODECs?
It is just not only the Extenders but also Saget TV core cannot handle H265 or AC-4 Audio and other new codecs... It definitely cannot handle ATSC 3.0 the way it is. Eventually SageTV will reach EOL.