SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Desktop computer to 5.1 channel soundbar system

I purchased this motherboard for a new PC build:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/...tx-motherboard

I would like to connect it to this system for 5.1 channel surround sound:
https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Theater...094TLY3FQ?th=1
I really like the wireless sub as I can put it behind me along with the satellite rear speakers that connect to the sub, the reviews seem to suggest pretty decent quality.

As I recall from many years ago, using a motherboard's audio optical output into one of these 5.1 channels systems yielded stereo audio as the optical was not passing the original audio stream (Dolby/DTS/etc.) - or maybe it was able to pass Dolby/DTS, but it couldn't pass other 5.1 channel audio, like other sound file types and gaming. Before I purchase this soundbar only to realize I won't get the desired 5.1 channel results, am I still accurate in this assumption?

Is something like this a way around it, converting the optical into HDMI?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W7NB4NR/

I have a dedicated Radeon 6700XT, I wonder if the motherboard HDMI output (with a Core i9-13900k) could be used into the soundbar for just audio output, or maybe the motherboard video is completely disabled when a video card is present?

I remember going down this path years ago trying to get 5.1 channel audio from a Creative Labs PC sound card into a 5.1 channel amplifier via optical and it lead to disappointment - I don't recall ever getting it to work and I had to resort to buying a PC based 5.1 channel audio system.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Does the TV have a 5.1 out?
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 MB, Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz, Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, EVGA GT 1030SC, WD Black NVMe SSD 250GB, 1x WD120EFAX 12TB, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 1x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, Colossus 2, WinTV-DualHD USB, Windows 11 64bit
Old 03-27-2023, 07:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I purchased this motherboard for a new PC build:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/...tx-motherboard

I would like to connect it to this system for 5.1 channel surround sound:
https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Theater...094TLY3FQ?th=1
I really like the wireless sub as I can put it behind me along with the satellite rear speakers that connect to the sub, the reviews seem to suggest pretty decent quality.

As I recall from many years ago, using a motherboard's audio optical output into one of these 5.1 channels systems yielded stereo audio as the optical was not passing the original audio stream (Dolby/DTS/etc.) - or maybe it was able to pass Dolby/DTS, but it couldn't pass other 5.1 channel audio, like other sound file types and gaming. Before I purchase this soundbar only to realize I won't get the desired 5.1 channel results, am I still accurate in this assumption?

Is something like this a way around it, converting the optical into HDMI?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W7NB4NR/

I have a dedicated Radeon 6700XT, I wonder if the motherboard HDMI output (with a Core i9-13900k) could be used into the soundbar for just audio output, or maybe the motherboard video is completely disabled when a video card is present?

I remember going down this path years ago trying to get 5.1 channel audio from a Creative Labs PC sound card into a 5.1 channel amplifier via optical and it lead to disappointment - I don't recall ever getting it to work and I had to resort to buying a PC based 5.1 channel audio system.
What will the PC be connected to? If its a TV, does it have HDMI ARC? If it does, then you could connect the PC to the TV via HDMI and then the soundbar to the TV using the HDMI ARC.

Or like what Malfunction asked, does the TV/Monitor have optical output? With that, you can run PC to TV/Mon to via HDMI and then TV/Mon to soundbar via optical.

One option to try but I don't know if this would work and I haven't tried it myself is, HDMI from your 6700XT to the monitor and another HDMI from your 6700XT to the soundbar. I assume you're using windows. Then using windows audio setup, direct audio to go through the 2nd hdmi port that leads to the soundbar.

Finally, find an ASUS motherboard community forum for those with experience with your exact motherboard and find out what is passed through from the onboard optical? Or even ask ASUS support directly.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks. I think the HDMI route is probably my only option as HDMI is hopefully well supported.

I'm running (3) HDMI 60hz monitors, the 6700XT video card has (3) full size displayports and (1) HDMI, so I'll probably convert the displayports (as I'm doing now with a Radeon RX580) with DP>HDMI cables, and maybe try to use the sole HDMI for audio only to the soundbar.

I think I recall the typical answer with optical on the motherboard:
- If audio is some sort of Dolby audio, it will pass it unchanged
- If audio is anything else, it converts to PCM stereo

I'm honestly not sure what the HDMI will do with a 5.1 channel PC game.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:21 AM
Sage Icon

Most sound bars only have one HDMI input. Therefore you need to send the computer output to the TV and use the TV's eARC HDMI connection to connect the sound bar. This way you only have one input going to the sound bar and it will work for all audio - whether the source is the computer, or the TV itself.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 03-31-2023, 12:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

I found I didn't like using the ARC port on my TV to send audio to my theater system. The TV was stripping the quality of the signal down to a basic 5.1 so I wasn't confident that I was getting true DTS:MA audio etc.

I setup my video card to output video to the TV via one HDMI port and audio to the amplifier via another HDMI port. Downside is that I have to have a second desktop enabled for the audio to work, so occasionally the mouse cursor gets lost on the second desktop!
Old 03-31-2023, 09:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
I found I didn't like using the ARC port on my TV to send audio to my theater system. The TV was stripping the quality of the signal down to a basic 5.1 so I wasn't confident that I was getting true DTS:MA audio etc.

I setup my video card to output video to the TV via one HDMI port and audio to the amplifier via another HDMI port. Downside is that I have to have a second desktop enabled for the audio to work, so occasionally the mouse cursor gets lost on the second desktop!
Maybe your port is not eARC.... Only eARC supports Dolby TrueHD
Old 04-02-2023, 10:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm pretty sure it's only ARC and not eARC, so that would make sense then.