SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-13-2023, 08:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV Client Install & Configuration Help

I have never installed the SageTV Client before today. My expectation was that I would go through a configuration process similar to that of the Android Mini-Client and would be up and running.

I ran the installer with defaults, There were 2 issues regarding not being able to write 2 registry keys for:
AlwaysSwapForAC3Filter
EnableSageTVStreamDemux
due to sufficient access to key Ignore), but otherwise it completed normaly.

During Setup, it found the Server, but the video test failed. TV was missing from the menu as are the ability to configure same. None of the video sources were found. No plugins were found. That's as far as I got.

I used the same 32-bit version as the Server, but the server is an older version 9.1.5.683 and the client 9.2.6.976.

Server is on Windows 7.1 Pro, client as installed on Windows 10 Pro.

I am unclear as to what I should expect from the install. Is the version mismatch a\the problem?
SD HDHR3-CC w/ RCN Cable FW:20161116
SD HDHR-US (OTA) FW:20150615
Firestick-Lite with Android Mini-Client
Old 03-14-2023, 05:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
I have never installed the SageTV Client before today. My expectation was that I would go through a configuration process similar to that of the Android Mini-Client and would be up and running.

I ran the installer with defaults, There were 2 issues regarding not being able to write 2 registry keys for:
AlwaysSwapForAC3Filter
EnableSageTVStreamDemux
due to sufficient access to key Ignore), but otherwise it completed normaly.

During Setup, it found the Server, but the video test failed. TV was missing from the menu as are the ability to configure same. None of the video sources were found. No plugins were found. That's as far as I got.

I used the same 32-bit version as the Server, but the server is an older version 9.1.5.683 and the client 9.2.6.976.

Server is on Windows 7.1 Pro, client as installed on Windows 10 Pro.

I am unclear as to what I should expect from the install. Is the version mismatch a\the problem?
Yes.. The point version must match... So 9.1.x client needed for that server as far as I recall.

k
Old 03-14-2023, 12:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Yes.. The point version must match... So 9.1.x client needed for that server as far as I recall.

k
Not sure on that one. The current code says 9.0.14 for min client version. https://github.com/google/sagetv/blo...java#L138-L140

I've never used a client so can't be much help here. Maybe that min version needs to be updated.

Last edited by wnjj; 03-14-2023 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

The 2 errors are not unusual and can basically be ignored.

It is recommended that the client and server be the same version, but since version 9, sometimes things still seem to work if they are different versions.

Did you install any codecs/filters (I seem to remember LAV filters are now part of the install?). Even so, you will probably need to go into Sage's setup and explicitly choose the LAV filters for both video and audio.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:00 PM
Sage Icon

The SageTV Client is very different from the mini-client. So, it’s important to be clear on which one you are working with.

Mini-client is used as the basis for the Sage extenders, Placeshifter, and Android Mini-client, so these 3 things all behave very similarly. With the mini-clients, much of the work takes place on the Server. The database (wiz.bin) resides on the server, the server handles all the rendering of the menus, the XML file that defines what the Sage “skin” looks like is stored on the server. And the more mini-clients you have running, the more memory your server needs.

The full blown Sage Client is different. It stores and executes everything locally on the computer where it is installed (which is usually a different computer from the main Sage server), except for the video recording files. Running a full client does not use much memory on the server. But, for it to work properly, it usually needs to be the exact same version number as the server. Most plugins will need to be installed separately on each Client.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-15-2023, 05:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Up and running on Client 9.1.5.683

I uninstalled the 9.2.6 version, rebooted. Ran CCleaner and then manually removed the remaining SageTV folder and frey registry entries. Rebooted again.

I then installed the matching client version from my archives, with no errors. The client works as expected with no tweaking required!!

I have LAV filters installed on the server. As they are now also installed on the Client's PC, it appears they came with the kit.

I did go through and update a but of the config, I just cloned my server (this is a laptop so easy to do side by side). I only added back the MyTV plugin.

Quote:
The full blown Sage Client is different. It stores and executes everything locally on the computer where it is installed (which is usually a different computer from the main Sage server), except for the video recording files.
And I hope the Wiz.bin file?

Thank you all!

Regarding upgrading to 9.2.6, other than what may be buried in the 50+ Install thread, I found only 2 posts that seem to indicate I can install the new version over the old one.

Should this pretty much be shutdown OpenDCT, and Sage server, install the latest version and restart, or are there other parts I should upgrade. Will more of the plugins then be compatible?
SD HDHR3-CC w/ RCN Cable FW:20161116
SD HDHR-US (OTA) FW:20150615
Firestick-Lite with Android Mini-Client

Last edited by RangerZ; 03-15-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Yes. The installer will do an in placed update. I always recommend to create a temp backup of the SageTV folder as a just in case. .

k

Tags
client config, client install