SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-11-2023, 06:36 AM
Sage Icon

Sage 64bit having USB UIRT issues

Going from 32bit Sage 9.1.2.662 & Java 1.7.0_79 to 64bit Sage 9.2.6 & 64bit Java 1.8.0_361

As a fallback (glad i did) I disabled/stopped the 32bit Sage Service and did the 64bit Sage 9.2.6 like a clean install in a different folder and having it do the LAV Filters & USB UIRT.

All seemed to go well but when I went test having it change channels on the DirecTV box nothing happened.

I did the Copy uuirtdrv.dll from "SageTV\redist\usbuirt\amd64" folder into your Windows\System32 directory and rebooted but still having issues.

Looking for some help.

Ended up yesterday doing a system checkpoint restore, then disable/stop the 64bit service and enabled/running the old 32bit 9.1.2 service and the USB UIRT worked fine and changed the channels without issue
Old 03-11-2023, 10:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
Going from 32bit Sage 9.1.2.662 & Java 1.7.0_79 to 64bit Sage 9.2.6 & 64bit Java 1.8.0_361

As a fallback (glad i did) I disabled/stopped the 32bit Sage Service and did the 64bit Sage 9.2.6 like a clean install in a different folder and having it do the LAV Filters & USB UIRT.

All seemed to go well but when I went test having it change channels on the DirecTV box nothing happened.

I did the Copy uuirtdrv.dll from "SageTV\redist\usbuirt\amd64" folder into your Windows\System32 directory and rebooted but still having issues.

Looking for some help.

Ended up yesterday doing a system checkpoint restore, then disable/stop the 64bit service and enabled/running the old 32bit 9.1.2 service and the USB UIRT worked fine and changed the channels without issue
How old is it? I had to replace mine once. They don't last forever. Basically it appeared to work, but didn't do anything.
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 MB, Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz, Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, EVGA GT 1030SC, WD Black NVMe SSD 250GB, 1x WD120EFAX 12TB, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 1x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, Colossus 2, WinTV-DualHD USB, Windows 11 64bit
Old 03-11-2023, 12:42 PM
Sage Icon

The 64-bit driver for USBUIRT does not work the same as the 32-bit driver.
From what I’ve seen with 64 bit you cannot use the USBUIRT to act as both a transmitter (blaster) and receiver for your remote at the same time if you are running Sage as a service.

You can use one or the other, but not both when Sage is run as a service.

If you run Sage in stand-alone mode (not as a service), then you can transmit and receive at the same time.

I’ve seen one Sage user who claimed he got it working, but several like me who could not make it work. I just went back to 32-bit Sage and gave up on 64-bit because this was a dealbreaker for me.

In fairness, I never reached out to the USBUIRT creator to see if he could fix it, but I think others may have asked already.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-11-2023, 12:42 PM
Sage Icon

Anything in the log files?
Old 03-11-2023, 01:58 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks all. Ended up going with the 32bit 9.2.6 and the USB UIRT is working. Since running out of time to work on it.
Main thing Wife wanted was to get Gemstone setup in her small office room like we have at our main TV/SageTV (64bit) server. The 64bit was more for me to have the 2 servers be similar.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:15 PM
Sage Expert

After trading several emails with the creator of USBUIRT, and a lot of research and trial-and-error, I'll share my experience and success. As has been stated, the 32 and 64-bit versions of USBUIRT do behave a bit differently.

I'm currently running Sage-x64 (as a service) and USBUIRT-x64. Didn't have to jump thru any hoops to make it work. No problems with Sage both sending and receiving IR. Sage is even able to learn new IR cmds and update the relevant .ir file.

The difficulty with USBUIRT-x64 occurs when more than one program tries to use the blaster. It's not possible to have one service and one non-service both connect to USBUIRT-x64. In order to work, Sage and the other program(s) must either all run as a service, or all must NOT run as services.

But there's a workaround to this limitation. In my specific setup, I run Sage-x64 as a service, and also have a 2nd program (uutx_64.exe, not running as a service) that also needs to use the blaster. To make this work, a free Microsoft utility "PsExec" acts a middle-man to solve the problem.

I've got a simple batch file that wraps uutx_64.exe to make it work:
Code:
REM Invoke the desired prog as the System, in Session0
psexec64.exe -accepteula -nobanner -s  c:\bin\uutx_64.exe (more params follow)
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.

Last edited by JustFred; 03-12-2023 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFred View Post
After trading several emails with the creator of USBUIRT, and a lot of research and trial-and-error, I'll share my experience and success. As has been stated, the 32 and 64-bit versions of USBUIRT do behave a bit differently.

I'm currently running Sage-x64 (as a service) and USBUIRT-x64. Didn't have to jump thru any hoops to make it work. No problems with Sage both sending and receiving IR. Sage is even able to learn new IR cmds and update the relevant .ir file.

The difficulty with USBUIRT-x64 occurs when more than one program tries to use the blaster. It's not possible to have one service and one non-service both connect to USBUIRT-x64. In order to work, Sage and the other program(s) must either all run as a service, or all must NOT run as services.

But there's a workaround to this limitation. In my specific setup, I run Sage-x64 as a service, and also have a 2nd program (uutx_64.exe, not running as a service) that also needs to use the blaster. To make this work, a free Microsoft utility "PsExec" acts a middle-man to solve the problem.

I've got a simple batch file that wraps uutx_64.exe to make it work:
Code:
REM Invoke the desired prog as the System, in Session0
psexec64.exe -accepteula -nobanner -s  c:\bin\uutx_64.exe (more params follow)
What would be two programs trying to use the USBIRT device at the same time be, aka which programs...
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 03-13-2023, 11:43 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFred View Post

OK let me be more clear. The Sage service only applies to the recording engine. The Sage UI never runs as a service. So if you have Sage configured to run as a service and you also run the Sage UI on the same computer to watch stuff, this is where you run into problems. This is also probably the only time you need to use the USBUIRT as both a transmitter and receiver. The Sage recording engine (service) needs to use the USBUIRT as a transmitter to change the channel on your cable box so it can record something. The Sage UI (which is not a service and runs as a separate process) needs to use the USBUIRT as a receiver so that you can use your remote control to navigate the Sage menus.

Since the Sage UI and the Sage recording engine are running as separate processes, the USBUIRT won’t allow them both to access it at the same time. At one time the 32-bit driver had this same limitation, but it was fixed many years ago. When the 64-bit driver was released, this limitation returned.

The biggest benefit of running Sage as a service is that the UI and recording engine are kept in separate processes in Windows. The recording engine is extremely stable and almost never crashes. But the UI is much more prone to failure, whether due to a bad plug-in or a problem rendering a recording, or a conflict with a video driver, etc. By keeping them separate, there is a very good chance that even if the UI locks up or crashes, Sage will still continue to make its recordings in the background unaffected. Also, if something causes your entire computer to reboot, the Sage service will restart itself automatically, even if no one is around to log into Windows.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-13-2023, 12:12 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
What would be two programs trying to use the USBIRT device at the same time be, aka which programs...
Tiki's explanation is excellent.

In my particular case, the two programs are:
1. SageTv.exe (the recording engine, which runs as a service), and
2. uutx_64.exe (a utility from the creator of USBUIRT), that periodically gets invoked from one of my batch files to send "wakeup" IR commands to keep my set-top box alive.

Using psexec64.exe in the batch file allows both of the above to access the IR blaster.
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Also, if something causes your entire computer to reboot, the Sage service will restart itself automatically, even if no one is around to log into Windows.
I've run SageTV as an application since 2009. It rarely has crashed and when the computer reboots, it starts up automatically before I "login", which it this case is an empty password anyway.

I realize this is a simple setup on a single-user PC but it has worked great for many years. I will qualify that with the fact that I use few to no plugins so likely why it is even more stable than other systems.