SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-28-2022, 05:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Create new Forum section for Documentation/Instructions

Hi,

I am wondering if everyone would be on board for creating a new step by step guide for new users to install Software on Windows/ Linux/ Docker etc? I would like to see a dedicated source/location that can be separate from forum in event that Forum goes bye bye or that we can create a backup of said. I am willing to do the typing part with content contribution from others to help build a newer user base. Thoughts?

Galaxysurfer
Old 11-28-2022, 07:39 PM
Sage Icon

If you want a location separate from this forum, maybe the online manual referred to in this post could be updated: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...postcount=2561

As far as the need for that, Jeff has been providing this forum (via his employer) for over 11 years since he sold the company. Never say never, but it seems likely that he will provide notice to this community well in advance of the plug being pulled on this forum.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 11-28-2022, 08:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
If you want a location separate from this forum, maybe the online manual referred to in this post could be updated: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...postcount=2561

As far as the need for that, Jeff has been providing this forum (via his employer) for over 11 years since he sold the company. Never say never, but it seems likely that he will provide notice to this community well in advance of the plug being pulled on this forum.
We are, as always, thankful for this. If you’re concerned, there is a free program for Windows which allows saving of entire websites. If I can find the name I’ll put it here.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-28-2022, 10:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxysurfer View Post
Hi,

I am wondering if everyone would be on board for creating a new step by step guide for new users to install Software on Windows/ Linux/ Docker etc? I would like to see a dedicated source/location that can be separate from forum in event that Forum goes bye bye or that we can create a backup of said. I am willing to do the typing part with content contribution from others to help build a newer user base. Thoughts?

Galaxysurfer
I think its a great idea whether on this site or linked here, as new users, and some of us old ones, can spend hours searching for what should be simple step by step instructions.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

That would be wonderful.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

That would be amazing! Maybe here, plus mirrored somewhere.

Also, for new users (and old users like me with minimal tech skills), a simple 'General Questions' forum for folks that don't have a clue which forum is appropriate for a question).

One issue, of course, is there are so many use cases to cover. For me at a location where only internet is available, I use ChannelsDVR and OpenDCT as a tuner, XMLTV as a guide source, and Firestick as a client - thanks to some great help from nyplayer and others.
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist

Last edited by hb4; 11-29-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:41 AM
SageTVaholic

This would be great I would be willing to contribute to documentation.
Old 12-16-2022, 04:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Good to see there is interest. Initially when I said dedicated location, I was meaning it's own place within this forum, as the title states New Forum Section.
This is so it could easily be found. I wasn't intending for it to replace this forum. Basically was asking for some tweaks so both seasoned users & new ones alike can easily find the instructions they need to get their DVR up & running.
Since I don't have admin or contribution rights other than regular user input here, That is why I floated to idea of a new section for documentation/ instructions. Some of what already is out there, sorely need some updating as PC OS, & SageTV itself has undergone change.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:26 PM
Sage Icon

Well there is already a section on this forum called SageTV downloads and instructions. Seems like the logical place for instructions.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 12-17-2022, 07:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Okay I see that. We just need to overhaul to entries there so the most up to date guides are there for those that want or need them. I would like to see a back up/alt location as well.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

What I would like to see is separate dedicated sub forums under instructions for:

1 Windows users
2 Linux users
3 VM/Docker/Unraid users

We could make a flowchart with yes/no questions then a link go here kind of scenario for each use case based on hardware configuration. We could start off with what type of tuner do you have? internal or external then follow the path accordingly. Thoughts?

Clients

1. Android devices - Amazon devices, Nvidia Shield others
2. PC clients
3. Remote clients
4. other Sage boxes & other devices not covered above

Hopefully this will be easier to find answers people are looking for without having to sift through a lot of random posts.

Last edited by Galaxysurfer; 02-06-2023 at 03:06 PM. Reason: additional info