SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-01-2022, 04:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

HTTP (IP) Tuning

I am having multiple issues with my DirecTV receivers and DirecTV is wanting me to upgrade to their new Genie2 HS17 DVR Server. Is anyone out there using this box with HTTP tuning? I would need it to work with SageTV x64. I am not sure how HTTP Tuning would change a Genie Mini. Does that device have an IP address as well? From what I have read once you go with a Genie 2 you can no longer have any standalone receivers, just Genie Mini clients.
Thanks,
Gary
Old 11-14-2022, 06:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Is there anyone left that can answer this question? My current Genie is failing to record all the programs that are scheduled. DirecTV is saying that they will replace that Genie, (I am due for an equipment refresh), but all they can replace it with is a Genie 2. Once I go to a Genie 2 I loose the ability to have a stand alone receiver for my SageTV system. I need to know if SageTV (x64) can HTTP tune a Genie mini. Thanks for any help for those last few people hanging on to SageTV.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Have you considered ditching the set-top-boxes entirely and just going with DirecTV stream, and integrate that into SageTV?

https://community.getchannels.com/t/...v-stream/28763

It would require a monthly or yearly fee for Channels DVR ($8/month as I recall) and some work to get it up and running, but at least you wouldn't have a [theoretical] limit on the number of tuners SageTV has available. The audio result is always stereo, but other than that I've adapted fairly well to it.

Some of the later posts in this thread talk about how to integrate it into Sage.
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66804

Alternatively, you may just like the way Channels DVR works along with a fairly solid remote viewing experience and just go with that.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, I will look into this.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:41 PM
SageTVaholic

I should note that I use an antenna and HDHR OTA tuners for my local channels. You just can't get the local channels from TVE sources like you can with an antenna, if that is possible for you.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:09 AM
Sage Icon

Snapstream doesn’t seem to like the idea of Genie minis: https://support.snapstream.com/hc/en...ith-SnapStream

SageTV has 64-bit support for http tuning, but there may be some challenge in configuring your network to give the mini a predictable IP address.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
SageTV has 64-bit support for http tuning, but there may be some challenge in configuring your network to give the mini a predictable IP address.
I have the ability to set a reservation for an IP by MAC address. That is how I am using it now on the stand alone receiver that is connected to Sage. I was just unsure if each Genie Mini received a unique IP address or if the Genie 2 got the IP. I wanted to make sure if I went this route of the Genie 2 I could still use Sage with a mini. I would be using multiple mini's in this setup. I don't want Sage changing the channel on the wrong Genie Mini. From my understanding of this, as soon as you put a Genie 2 on your account you can no longer have a stand alone receiver.

I tried DirecTV stream and did not like the interface. Very slow and clunky when changing channels. That is the primary reason I stayed with satellite TV.

Last edited by Ghildebr; 11-15-2022 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
The audio result is always stereo, but other than that I've adapted fairly well to it.
The fact that you only get stereo is a deal breaker for me. I have two TV's that are connected to 7.1 surround sound.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghildebr View Post
The fact that you only get stereo is a deal breaker for me. I have two TV's that are connected to 7.1 surround sound.
There is really not much choice out there ... Everything is moving to IPTV or Streaming.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
There is really not much choice out there ... Everything is moving to IPTV or Streaming.
I agree with that. I paused my DirecTV service for 6 months several years ago with the thought of canceling the service at the end of that time. I then signed up for YouTube TV. I was really enjoying it until they dropped Bally Sports due to contract disputes. I lost access to all my local professional sports teams, (Rangers, Stars, and Mavericks). I then tried DirecTV Stream since they still had that channel. The entire family hated the interface so much that I paid significantly more to keep DirectTV satellite. At that time it was significantly cheaper to stream than have a physical service. Now streaming prices have increased to where by the time you get the multiple services you need, the price is almost what it was when you had everything in one place. For example, Bally Sports now has their own streaming service for $20 per month. It all adds up...

Last edited by Ghildebr; 11-15-2022 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I agree with that. I paused my DirecTV service for 6 months several years ago with the thought of canceling the service at the end of that time. I then signed up for YouTube TV. I was really enjoying it until they dropped Bally Sports due to contract disputes. I lost access to all my local professional sports teams, (Rangers, Stars, and Mavericks). I then tried DirecTV Stream since they still had that channel. The entire family hated the interface so much that I paid significantly more to keep DirectTV satellite. At that time it was significantly cheaper to stream than have a physical service. Now streaming prices have increased to where by the time you get the multiple services you need, the price is almost what it was when you had everything in one place. For example, Bally Sports now has the own streaming service for $20 per month. It all adds up...
Yeah Cord Cutting from XFINITY in my household to get what we have it would cost us more with all the streaming services we would have to subscribe to. Streaming Services are no longer a bargain.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I am having multiple issues with my DirecTV receivers and DirecTV is wanting me to upgrade to their new Genie2 HS17 DVR Server. Is anyone out there using this box with HTTP tuning? I would need it to work with SageTV x64. I am not sure how HTTP Tuning would change a Genie Mini. Does that device have an IP address as well? From what I have read once you go with a Genie 2 you can no longer have any standalone receivers, just Genie Mini clients.
Thanks,
Gary
there are some DirecTV receivers still out there which will work with an HD-PVR, I do that to get 5.1 audio. Just bought a replacement H24 from SolidSignal earlier this year in fact. And that of course tunes via IP.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
there are some DirecTV receivers still out there which will work with an HD-PVR, I do that to get 5.1 audio. Just bought a replacement H24 from SolidSignal earlier this year in fact. And that of course tunes via IP.
I have SageTV now connected to a HR24 and have that setup to use HTTP tuning via a reserved IP address. My HR24 is still working. The problem I have is my Genie is dying. It fails to record about 25% of the time. I have talked with DirecTV retentions and have a offer on the table to replace my Genie with a Genie 2 for free, including new Genie Mini's throughout. But if I go with a Genie 2 I loose the ability to have my HR24, (The DirecTV Rep looks at me like I am crazy when I hesitate on this deal). The main question is if I take there offer and replace my Genie with a Genie 2 and also replace my HR24 with a Genie Mini (C61K). Will I be able to configure HTTP tuning on that C61K? Does a C61K get its own IP address and can SageTV x64 be setup to HTTP tune the C61K?

I also have bought receivers through Solid Signal. I have tried to get DirecTV to swap my Genie for another Genie (HR54) but they tell me that they no longer offer the HR54 and that my only recourse is to move to the Genie 2 (HS17). I can get a HR54 through Solid Signal but that is going to cost $300. I also see that the HR24 has been discontinued on the Solid Signal web site. My HR24 is my oldest receiver that I own. I have had it for close to 12 years. What do I do when it breaks? Reading the tea leaves here, it looks like sooner or later, assuming I keep DirecTV and SageTV, I will be forced to upgrade to the Genie 2, or who knows the Genie 3 if that is out. I really doubt that DirecTV moves away from this client\server model. Its way easier to install and support, especially when you start talking wireless Genie Mini's.

I no longer use SageTV as my primary device, but I do like having it in case I want to save a program into Plex. Its only a matter of time before my current HR24 fails. I am just trying to hang onto SageTV as long as I can. Its the best product I have seen that does what it does. The problem is, the user base is dying and very few new people even know that it existence. That makes getting answers to questions like this difficult at best.

Gary
Old 11-17-2022, 03:43 PM
Sage Icon

I cannot confirm the mini gets its own IP address but that Snapstream thread seems to imply it does.

As for the SageTV code side of things, I integrated that into the codebase and if need be could make changes if the mini requires a different protocol. It's currently hardcoded here: https://github.com/google/sagetv/blo....cpp#L678-L701
Old 11-17-2022, 07:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
I cannot confirm the mini gets its own IP address but that Snapstream thread seems to imply it does.

As for the SageTV code side of things, I integrated that into the codebase and if need be could make changes if the mini requires a different protocol. It's currently hardcoded here: https://github.com/google/sagetv/blo....cpp#L678-L701
Thanks wnjj. If I need anything I will get back with you. I was talking to DirecTV today and am now getting that there is a backlog for the Genie 2. It may be a few weeks before they have stock again. That is difficult for me to believe but that is what they said.