SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 06-23-2022, 06:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Goodbye to SageTV after nearly 20 years

I've been a SageTV user since 2003 and still consider it the best open source DVR available. A recent move caused me to re-evaluate my setup, 2 HD PVRs connected to two cable boxes (Spectrum is my provider) and streaming using a HD300. Now I'm using apps on my AppleTV, my cable boxes (costing me and additional $20 per month, ridiculous for 1980' s technology!) have been replaced by the Spectrum App with cloud DVR. I haven't completely abandoned Sage, I still have the Sage mini client on a FireTV stick with a HD HomeRun as a video source. Thanks to all the developers and users who have made this such a great product.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:47 AM
Sage Icon

I am also, unfortunately, stuck with Spectrum as a cable provider. Just so I'm clear though, in order to use the Spectrum app, you still need to pay the full amount for cable TV. The only money you are saving is the $20/month cable box rental (hey, 20 bucks is 20 bucks). Do I understand that correctly, or am I missing something? Is there any additional charge for the cloud DVR feature in the Spectrum app?
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 06-24-2022, 08:38 AM
Sage Icon

I'm an old Charter customer (now on Spectrum). Luckily this means that my cable card channels are generally marked as "record freely". Many other Spectrum users have their cable card channels marked as "Record Once" which prevents it from working with SageTV.

Once this goes away, I'm not sure we will keep Spectrum. The one saving grace right now is that I can record 6 channels at once for a single $3/mo cable card rental fee and I can watch those shows on any TV/device with SageTV. We don't rent a single cable box in our house. I'm not going to spend another $50, $75, $100 on cable box rentals on top of the already expensive TV service.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 06-25-2022, 09:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
I am also, unfortunately, stuck with Spectrum as a cable provider. Just so I'm clear though, in order to use the Spectrum app, you still need to pay the full amount for cable TV. The only money you are saving is the $20/month cable box rental (hey, 20 bucks is 20 bucks). Do I understand that correctly, or am I missing something? Is there any additional charge for the cloud DVR feature in the Spectrum app?
Yes, I'm saving $20 per month on the boxes. The cost of the cloud DVR is $9.99 per month but because of my move, I received a two year promotional discount so I'm saving about $70 per month total. The Spectrum cloud DVR is nice, no comskip of course but you can manually skip commercials, and no 5.1 audio, only stereo.