SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 06-04-2022, 02:20 PM
Sage Icon

Video/Audio merging question

I have an old copy of a movie that was a DVD rip. It has surround sound but is only DVD quality video.

I downloaded (from PlayOn) the same movie in 1080p, but PlayOn downloads are only stereo.

Is there any freeware or cheap-and-easy software I can use where I could replace the stereo audio track in the HD file with the surround sound track in the old DVD file? Obviously I'd have to work on syncing and whatnot, but I first want to know if I can even do it.

And would I have to extract the surround audio first (into a multi-track audio file)? Or is there software that can take two movie files and let you choose the video from one and audio from another and merge them?

I've googled around a bit and the only thing I saw that looked like it could do it easily is Adobe Premiere Pro, but I have to imagine there are others, hopefully freeware.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

There are various tools to demux/mux video and audio streams. I used those for cleaning up the audio streams for some videos using Audacity. This depends on what format your videos are in. I usually use Linux so I use mkvtoolnix, MP4Box, and dvdauthor. The latter two are probably the ones that would work in your case.

I found this website very useful: videohelp.com

It lists all sorts of video and audio processing tools, many of which are freely available with direct links for download.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:32 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks, I will check it out.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.