SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:00 AM
SageTVaholic

AirVideoHD app in Apple app store - anyone using?

I’ve been using this app for a long time with SageTV.
It’s flawless - never seems to choke, and is nearly bulletproof on Apple devices.

As well, it’s maybe the ONLY app for Sage users on iOS?

Anyway, I don’t believe there’s been an update in a long time…and now I hear Apple is going to start removing apps from the app store if they haven’t been updated recently. ‘Recently’ hasn’t been defined, but I’m assuming this app would qualify.

Anyone know anything about the developers, because the internal link for support goes to a ‘502 Bad Gateway’

I’d hate to lose this app from the app store….
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 05-05-2022, 09:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've actually been using Jellyfin for my iOS devices. So my Sage server and Jellyfin server are on the same machine accessing the same files. Sage for the house and Jellyfin when travelling (using the iphones or ipads).

Works really well. So well that should I ever stop using Sage, I think Jellyfin will be my go to.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

I use AirVideo religously and it's got a lot of great features. I certainly hope they dont remove it. Does Jellyfin allow downloading?
Old 05-05-2022, 01:41 PM
SageTVaholic

I continue to use AirVideoHD as well as it has been the best way to play back the video files. I am worried about this as well.

There are other things that can be used in various ways, like Plex, but they are not always as flexible as AirVideoHD and may not work on active recordings.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGsell View Post
I use AirVideo religously and it's got a lot of great features. I certainly hope they dont remove it. Does Jellyfin allow downloading?
I've never used downloading but Jellyfin allows downloading. I believe its user based so you can give certain users access and others not. I used to use AirVideo but Jellyfin pretty much took that over.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4runnr View Post
I've never used downloading but Jellyfin allows downloading. I believe its user based so you can give certain users access and others not. I used to use AirVideo but Jellyfin pretty much took that over.
what platform do you use Jellyfin on, Windows, etc. Any installation advice for a rookie?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 05-09-2022, 09:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
what platform do you use Jellyfin on, Windows, etc. Any installation advice for a rookie?
The server itself is installed on the same pc as my sage server. Both pull from the same folders that all my mkv's are on. Don't worry about the properties files. Jellyfin will ignore those. Keep in mind, that I do not use sage for any live tv or recordings. I usually just import tv shows into sage and jellyfin. Therefore, I don't know how jellyfin works with actual sage recordings.

The clients are all iphones/ipads. I do have a spare firestick that I take with me when travelling. That way I can watch my stuff at a hotel rather than what the hotel offers.

Last edited by t4runnr; 05-09-2022 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The server itself is installed on the same pc as my sage server. Both pull from the same folders that all my mkv's are on. Don't worry about the properties files. Jellyfin will ignore those. Keep in mind, that I do not use sage for any live tv or recordings. I usually just import tv shows into sage and jellyfin. Therefore, I don't know how jellyfin works with actual sage recordings.

The clients are all iphones/ipads. I do have a spare firestick that I take with me when travelling. That way I can watch my stuff at a hotel rather than what the hotel offers.
Must be something wrong I'm doing with ports/passwords - so far I can't make a connection

UPDATE: password trouble. now it's working on my LOCAL network.
However, any idea where the setup is done to use a DNS server remotely as the login address? That's easy with AirVideoHD

Last edited by tvmaster2; 05-09-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry. I don't know that part (DNS servers)

I just use the IP that comcast has for my home plus the port that Jellyfin uses (8096).
Old 05-09-2022, 04:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sorry. I don't know that part (DNS servers)

I just use the IP that comcast has for my home plus the port that Jellyfin uses (8096).
Thanks, figured it out - forgot I had to enter the ports in my router. Up and running, kinda.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Thanks, figured it out - forgot I had to enter the ports in my router. Up and running, kinda.
Glad you got it worked out, kinda.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Tried Jellyfin on my Sage server running W10/64bit and it looks like a viable alternative to AirVideo once you get used to some of the quirks. One thing I found is that the IOS Jellfin app is good but I could not get the download button on the menu - however using Chrome on an iPhone worked perfectly once you get the download location worked out and use VLC or another to playback. The downloading functionality is critical for family when they travel so they are not depending on airline internet etc... thanks directing us to Jellyfin!
Old 05-16-2022, 07:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGsell View Post
Tried Jellyfin on my Sage server running W10/64bit and it looks like a viable alternative to AirVideo once you get used to some of the quirks. One thing I found is that the IOS Jellfin app is good but I could not get the download button on the menu - however using Chrome on an iPhone worked perfectly once you get the download location worked out and use VLC or another to playback. The downloading functionality is critical for family when they travel so they are not depending on airline internet etc... thanks directing us to Jellyfin!
I googled the Jellyfin app for IOS and downloading and it appears to not be an option because of limitations on how/what what used to write the app.

In your case for flights, I just asked my family what movies they want for the flights. Then I used handbrake to make a IOS friendly mp4 file and then sync to their phones using itunes on my pc. extra steps but not terrible. the conversion also allows me to downsize the file of the movie from mkv to mp4 and allow the phones to hold more movies.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I googled the Jellyfin app for IOS and downloading and it appears to not be an option because of limitations on how/what what used to write the app.

In your case for flights, I just asked my family what movies they want for the flights. Then I used handbrake to make a IOS friendly mp4 file and then sync to their phones using itunes on my pc. extra steps but not terrible. the conversion also allows me to downsize the file of the movie from mkv to mp4 and allow the phones to hold more movies.
Good tip. Handbrake takes a while though. What preset are you using for these airline-friendly files?

Also, is ANYONE using JellyFin through a DNS server - which I would think is the safe way to do it when travelling? I've got mine working fine, but was wondering about the ports they use, and if anyone's figured out how to select custum ports for privacy sake.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Here's another thank you for the pointer to Jellyfin! Great app. Even the Recording function works well. Alas, no comm skip so Sage is still my main media program.

Yes, Jellyfin plays back SageTV recordings with no problem, just point Jellyfin to the Sage recordings directory.

TVMaster2: The port used by Jellyfin can be changed by going to Dashboard / Advanced / Networking. It's the first option.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, can I ask if there's a way to get Jellyfin to play DVD rips? Right now, I have to use MakeMKV (want to avoid lossy transcoding with Handbrake), and I have far too many movies to want to do this for everything.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Good tip. Handbrake takes a while though. What preset are you using for these airline-friendly files?

Also, is ANYONE using JellyFin through a DNS server - which I would think is the safe way to do it when travelling? I've got mine working fine, but was wondering about the ports they use, and if anyone's figured out how to select custum ports for privacy sake.
Handbrake can take a while. So I counter that with movie lists from everyone 1-2 weeks in advance and run a batch conversion. But that was before I upgraded my main PC. It now has a 5950x cpu so converting a 14gb mkv to a 2+gb mp4 only takes roughly 15 minutes.

I just use the default handbrake preset for devices>apple 720p. If the mkv has multiple audio channels, I drop all but the one I'll listen with. That saves file size as well. I don't do anything more than 720p since my old eyes can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 or higher on a 6.1 inch phone screen.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metapath View Post
Here's another thank you for the pointer to Jellyfin! Great app. Even the Recording function works well. Alas, no comm skip so Sage is still my main media program.

Yes, Jellyfin plays back SageTV recordings with no problem, just point Jellyfin to the Sage recordings directory.

TVMaster2: The port used by Jellyfin can be changed by going to Dashboard / Advanced / Networking. It's the first option.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, can I ask if there's a way to get Jellyfin to play DVD rips? Right now, I have to use MakeMKV (want to avoid lossy transcoding with Handbrake), and I have far too many movies to want to do this for everything.
Thanks, I'll let you know how the ports work out

I added my DVD Rips folder - some files played without a hitch. Some did not. I believe DRM is the problem: did the rip strip it, or leave it. Just went to Dashboard, Add Library, Content Type: Movies. Name it whatever you want.

UPDATE on Ports: tried changing the http port, but could not get a connection to happen. Any idea where else there may be a line of code that has to be changed? Updated my router, logged out, logged in, but no connection. Changed back to 8096, and everything connected fine.

UPDATE to the update: got a different port working. No idea how or why. Classic.

Last edited by tvmaster2; 05-16-2022 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Tried Jellyfin and its by far the best alternative to AirVidHD I know of thanks to this thread. One thing: since downloading to an IOS device is key for me (wife, kids, travel)..I found that the Jellyfin IOS app didnt show the download button... however accessing via Chrome on the same device worked. You just need to know where chrome is storing the download obviously and make sure you have a program like VLC to playback the file. thanks!
Old 05-16-2022, 08:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Handbrake can take a while. So I counter that with movie lists from everyone 1-2 weeks in advance and run a batch conversion. But that was before I upgraded my main PC. It now has a 5950x cpu so converting a 14gb mkv to a 2+gb mp4 only takes roughly 15 minutes.

I just use the default handbrake preset for devices>apple 720p. If the mkv has multiple audio channels, I drop all but the one I'll listen with. That saves file size as well. I don't do anything more than 720p since my old eyes can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 or higher on a 6.1 inch phone screen.
cool. thanks.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Have you found a way to watch live video from a Sage tuner (Hauppauge) which isn’t on JellyFin’s approved tuner list? Haven’t found a way yet…