SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 01-11-2022, 01:16 PM
SageTVaholic

HD PVRs in unRAID

I have been running my SageTV server on unRAID for about five years and I have two Hauppauge HD-PVRs in my system connected to cable boxes. My older system is running an older version of unRAID, 6.4.1. Below is how they are report in the System Devices page of unRAID.

Code:
Bus 002 Device 004:	ID 2040:4903 Hauppauge HS PVR
Bus 002 Device 005:	ID 2040:4903 Hauppauge HS PVR
I am turning up a new system that is running 6.10rc2. I also have two HD-PVRs connected to that system. Look at how one of these is enumerated by the system. Note that they show up the same in SageTV as HDPVRs.

Code:
Bus 001 Device 002 Port 1-4	  ID 2040:4903 Hauppauge HS PVR
Bus 001 Device 004 Port 1-6	  ID 2040:4900 Hauppauge Hauppauge HD PVR
Anyone know why these would have different names? I am presuming that this has something to do with the underlying Linux drivers for the HD-PVR, but I am wondering why the device is listed as HS-PVR.

The only difference that I have seen on the devices is that the one reporting as Hauppauge Hauppauge HD PVR is Rev C2, the other devices are Rev F2.

Anyone else see this?
Old 01-11-2022, 11:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm pretty sure that those descriptions come from the driver, so for some reason someone named it HS instead of HD. I seem to recall seeing this myself when I had an HDPVR plugged into my Unraid box. It's just a text description though and really means nothing.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:52 AM
SageTVaholic

But the interesting thing to me is that there are two different names which seemingly indicates that there are different drivers being used for the two devices. Despite that they appear the same in the SageTV docker.

Any way to tell exactly which driver is being used by each device? It would be interesting to know if they are using different underlying drivers if I have issues with one of these devices in the future.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:40 AM
Sage Icon

or could it be the same driver and within that driver it has different text for the different Revs? Just a thought
Old 01-15-2022, 02:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Wayner,

I don’t have an answer for your question but can I ask a quick one of my own? I am still on unraid 6.8. Been scared to update after the Unraid DVB fallout because I didn’t want my HDPVRs to quit working. . It looks like there is a solution to all of that now where I can upgrade Unraid and install a DVB plugin. Is that what you are doing and is it working?
Thanks.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Willie - I was in exactly the same boat as you, or even worse. My main server is running version 6.4.1 of unRAID. I built a new server and installed 6.10rc2 which is still kind of a beta version. I just had to install the DVB plugin from the apps tab and my HD-PVRs worked fine. To be honest, it was easier than I remember in the past. This new server is working pretty much perfectly with the latest version of SageTV running the Java 11 version and the new docker that jusjoken has created.

But I have yet to upgrade my older server. I don't anticipate having problems, but you never know.

It might be possible that you have to setup the HD-PVR tuners as if they were new but that shouldn't cause too many problems.

For channel changing I use Firewire and that was also extremely easy.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:26 PM
SageTVaholic

By the way Striker:WG has been using the new DVB process for a while as well so you might want to contact him.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Cool. Thanks so much! I might give it a go. I have been messing around with the new combined sage and openDCT Java 11 docker this afternoon. Still on old Unraid though. So far working well. Do you know if there is anything new in the openDCT implementation in here or is it just calling the one I already have installed. I suspect the latter. I can go ask jusjoken too.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieb View Post
Cool. Thanks so much! I might give it a go. I have been messing around with the new combined sage and openDCT Java 11 docker this afternoon. Still on old Unraid though. So far working well. Do you know if there is anything new in the openDCT implementation in here or is it just calling the one I already have installed. I suspect the latter. I can go ask jusjoken too.
It is still the same opendct version...just packaged slightly differently.

K
Old 01-15-2022, 05:16 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't really use OpenDCT, although I did install years ago and it appears to still be running on one of my PCs.. It isn't really clear to me what the value is if you don't have a DCT, which I don't, but apparently there is some reason to use it with OTA HDHRs, which I do have. And apparently it also can help you pull IPTV into SageTV.

But I don't think OpenDCT does anything with HDPVRs, does it?
Old 01-16-2022, 11:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

No. Nothing to do with HDPVRs. Sorry was just going stream of consciousness!
Old 01-19-2022, 09:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
By the way Striker:WG has been using the new DVB process for a while as well so you might want to contact him.
yup, I've been using it for a while now. Works well, very easy to setup thanks to ICH777 over in the Unraid land. He was a huge help in getting the FireWire drivers up and working.