SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 11-01-2021, 07:49 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfi33 View Post
I can't seem to get the 9.2.6.1 release of SageTV. I've tried specifying both 'latest' and '9.2.6.1' for the version variable. I've tried both the Java9 and Java16 versions of the stuckless Dockers (with unRAID). But the version of SageTV seems to remain stuck on 9.2.5.168. Is this expected?
I too am on 9.2.5.168
It probably won't get updated until stuckless builds a new docker image. I believe that's how it works. I could be wrong though.

Jim
Old 11-01-2021, 06:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuszkie View Post
I too am on 9.2.5.168
It probably won't get updated until stuckless builds a new docker image. I believe that's how it works. I could be wrong though.

Jim
I'm pretty sure that's not how it used to work (at least not with the Java8 version of the Docker which is what I was using prior to a couple days ago). Previously, I was setting '9.1.10.479' for the version variable to stay on that version. But looks like it may now be hard set to 9.2.5.168.
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 11-01-2021, 09:05 PM
SageTVaholic

It looks like it was hardcoded back in May when the files were moved from bintray to GitHub.

https://github.com/stuckless/sagetv-...5edb5695a8d18a

Someone would need to review and see what needs changing to allow version updates.

K
Old 11-02-2021, 12:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
It looks like it was hardcoded back in May when the files were moved from bintray to GitHub.

https://github.com/stuckless/sagetv-...5edb5695a8d18a

Someone would need to review and see what needs changing to allow version updates.

K
Based upon some reading online, I think the version curl command in 20-upgrade-sagetv could simply be updated to:

Code:
 SAGE_VERSION=`curl "https://api.github.com/repos/OpenSageTV/sagetv-Linux/releases/latest" | grep '"tag_name":' | sed -E 's/.*"([^"]+)".*/\1/'`
Old 11-02-2021, 04:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Based upon some reading online, I think the version curl command in 20-upgrade-sagetv could simply be updated to:

Code:
 SAGE_VERSION=`curl "https://api.github.com/repos/OpenSageTV/sagetv-Linux/releases/latest" | grep '"tag_name":' | sed -E 's/.*"([^"]+)".*/\1/'`
I am wondering if Stuckless hardcoded this on the Java 8 docker as versions of SageTV after that version were built with Java 9? I am not certain of that but I seem to recall something like that.

K
Old 11-02-2021, 06:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I am wondering if Stuckless hardcoded this on the Java 8 docker as versions of SageTV after that version were built with Java 9? I am not certain of that but I seem to recall something like that.

K
I think this is right. I ran into issues when I updated my Java 8 docker because there is something broken with the latest Java 8 release.

You can switch to a different docker such as Java 9 or 16, but some plugins might stop working. For me I had to force running Java 7 to get SageAlerts to work, but as a result I'm stuck on my older version of SageTV.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:09 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

K
9.2.5 was built with Java 9. I don’t think 9.2.6 changed anything with the build process.

This post also concurs that 9.2.5 has the Java compatibility issue: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66823

It may simply be that he didn’t have the time update the code for GitHub’s API.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
9.2.5 was built with Java 9. I don’t think 9.2.6 changed anything with the build process.

This post also concurs that 9.2.5 has the Java compatibility issue: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66823

It may simply be that he didn’t have the time update the code for GitHub’s API.
Makes sense. I guess a couple options would be...
  • Do a PR with your suggested change and see if Stuckless adds it (has time)
  • Fork his docker repo to OpenSageTV repo and make the change there as there are a few more of us that have access to it
  • something else ?

I currently have never messed with changing docker images and at a glance the docker repo is not "simple" so if anyone else wants to take this on speak up otherwise I could move some time over from the Jetty/Web changes to see what I can do with the dockers.

K
Old 12-11-2021, 01:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

To fix the update script and force SageTv Server to update in the docker do the following below. I am using stuckless java 11 on Unriad but should work for all versions. Open a console of the docker in unraid webpage and use the commands listed below. Should probably switch to Madz version of the docker but also not sure if he is also maintaining the docker.

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get -y install jq
cd /etc/my_init.d/
rm 20-upgrade-sagetv
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/00madz/sagetv-dockers/master/sagetv-base/SYSTEM/etc/my_init.d/20-upgrade-sagetv
chmod 777 20-upgrade-sagetv
rm /opt/sagetv/server/.SAGE_CUR_VERSION
bash 20-upgrade-sagetv
Old 01-19-2022, 06:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

How to add linux/sage/docker to W10 pro PC?

I am presently using W10 pro for Sage, but would like to install a second Sage server on the same PC. I am able to create a virtual machine using Windows Hyper-V, and to avoid the cost of another instance of W10, would like to use Linux and a docker for the second Sage server. Not having experience with Linux (except for a Pi-Hole install) - is this something that is fairly straight forward when pointed in the right direction, or do I bite the bullet and get another W10 install iso? (I have a MS friends and family account so the cost is - manageable).

Direction and tips are appreciated.
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist
Old 01-19-2022, 07:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb4 View Post
I am presently using W10 pro for Sage, but would like to install a second Sage server on the same PC. I am able to create a virtual machine using Windows Hyper-V, and to avoid the cost of another instance of W10, would like to use Linux and a docker for the second Sage server. Not having experience with Linux (except for a Pi-Hole install) - is this something that is fairly straight forward when pointed in the right direction, or do I bite the bullet and get another W10 install iso? (I have a MS friends and family account so the cost is - manageable).

Direction and tips are appreciated.
You could install Docker for Windows Desktop which would allow you to run the new dockers. I have a test system that has that installed and I use it to run other dockers (not SageTV as I run that in unraid). So it's doable and as long as you are not in a rush I could try to set it up myself and then perhaps guide you through it (installing the Windows Docker is pretty straight forward)... check out the docs here...

https://docs.docker.com/desktop/windows/install/

K
Old 01-19-2022, 07:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
You could install Docker for Windows Desktop which would allow you to run the new dockers. I have a test system that has that installed and I use it to run other dockers (not SageTV as I run that in unraid). So it's doable and as long as you are not in a rush I could try to set it up myself and then perhaps guide you through it (installing the Windows Docker is pretty straight forward)... check out the docs here...

https://docs.docker.com/desktop/windows/install/

K
No rush... So I would run the Docker for Windows Desktop on a W10 instance on the virtual machine? Or does the Docker itself allow me to run two independent Sage servers on the same PC?
Old 01-19-2022, 08:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
No rush... So I would run the Docker for Windows Desktop on a W10 instance on the virtual machine? Or does the Docker itself allow me to run two independent Sage servers on the same PC?
You can just run it on your Windows 10 PC. Look at the version requirements as they are fairly current to make this all work on Win 10.

Any yes.. once you have docker running, you can run as many SageTV dockers as you want as long as you configure the networking in the docker right and you have the memory to support it. Again, I have not done this directly with SageTV as I run those from unraid, but it should be doable.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

OK... I have Docker set up on W10 (not unRAID). I assume I have to go to Powershell and enter some sort of docker command? I'm signed onto Docker Hub if that helps. I found the Github site with lots of choices. Java 8 is installed for my Windows Sage install. Do I just pick one? Is there a field guide?
Old 01-20-2022, 09:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OK... I have Docker set up on W10 (not unRAID). I assume I have to go to Powershell and enter some sort of docker command? I'm signed onto Docker Hub if that helps. I found the Github site with lots of choices. Java 8 is installed for my Windows Sage install. Do I just pick one? Is there a field guide?
I am testing out a PowerShell script to set all the needed parameters. Perhaps tomorrow I will get time to complete it and post it.

K
Old 01-20-2022, 10:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I am testing out a PowerShell script to set all the needed parameters. Perhaps tomorrow I will get time to complete it and post it.

K
Super! No great hurry but thanks!
Old 01-22-2022, 08:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Super! No great hurry but thanks!
I hope you have had better luck than I have with Docker Desktop for Windows. I was able to create a powershell script to start/stop a SageTV docker with all the parameters needed, but I was unable to get the networking working to allow the container to function properly. My research indicates that Host mode is not supported on Windows with a Linux container and on the default Bridge mode SageTV server would run but OpenDCT could not do any network discovery. I tried various advanced networking by creating a custom network (macvlan driver) but was also not able to get any container to host network communication.

Perhaps someone else has dabbled in this and can provide some guidance but my 2 day experience in the current implementation of Docker for Windows indicates it is not ready for running our SageTV/OpenDCT dockers.

If I did not have unraid running I would likely run a Linux VM with docker in that Linux VM and run the dockers from there. Others on the forum (I believe hvymetal for one) do something similar and perhaps can guide.

Suggestions welcome of course if anyone has done the Docker for Windows thing with Linux VMs and been more succesful.

K
Old 01-22-2022, 09:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

If I did not have unraid running I would likely run a Linux VM with docker in that Linux VM and run the dockers from there. Others on the forum (I believe hvymetal for one) do something similar and perhaps can guide.

K
Sorry I also cannot help on this as I run docker on Unraid. Just pointing the obvious but during your testing did you completely disable windows firewall....its a nasty thing when trying to get anything network working.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:41 AM
SageTVaholic

My understanding is that the implementation of Docker in Windows is not fully functional compared to Linux, especially in areas like networking. That is not unlike WSL, which has a few shortcomings, although some of that has been improved in WSL2.

I believe that Microsoft is moving Windows in a direction where it integrates Linux more, and there is some speculation that in the future Windows may be built on a core of Linux or be Unix compliant. I believe that is the case with MacOS, Not that this matters right now, but maybe for Win12 or Win13 it will.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvymetal View Post
Sorry I also cannot help on this as I run docker on Unraid. Just pointing the obvious but during your testing did you completely disable windows firewall....its a nasty thing when trying to get anything network working.
I did not...but good point. I will give that a go and report back

K