SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Information & Announcements > SageTV Downloads & Instructions
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Downloads & Instructions This forum is for discussions containing Downloads and Instructions related to the Open Source version of SageTV. Please do not post questions in this forum.

Old 04-10-2021, 04:28 AM
Sage Expert

Upgrade to 9.2.2 resuts in hanging SageTV Service

When I update from 9.2.1 to 9.2.2, the service keeps hanging. When starts, it takes and hour or more to decide on the shows to be recorded -- every time I restart it. Then it starts hanging with the message.
[SeekerWatchdog@101651a] ERROR - Seeker has been hung for more than 60 seconds...system appears deadlocked...dumping thread states
It does this about every 10 minutes and is mostly unresponsive to the clients.

It can't be fixed by the old tried and true overwrite the sage install folder with the old version. The old version will now do the same thing -- so I believe that it is an installer problem. The only way to recover is to restore my complete c drive from backup! (Rather extreme <sigh>)

After the restore, I can copy the 9.2.2 install over the 9.2.1 and it works fine!

I've looked at the registry and I don't see anything of consequence there -- but I haven't moved the new entries in to see if it makes a difference.

Does it change any drivers? I saw something about a hauppauge fix. I have an ancient HD PVR that is still working fine.

My system's in my signature. Been doing the sliding upgrade thing for... almost 15 years? Including the move from xp to 8.1.

I am still running the 32 bit service, but typically use the 64 bit client except when configuring. (Or a laptop 64 bit client on the same network).

Ancient Hauppauge HD PVR with USB-UIRT for my cable box.
2 Ancient Silicon Dust HDHomeRun dual tuners for OTA (still on ancient firmware since you can't backup if something breaks and reconfiguration after a major update is painful since it overwrites your channel selections with it's own which breaks the EPG)
Windows 8.1

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4025 MHz, 8G G.Skill Performance
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS -- Zalman VP900CU Cooling
Synology NAS 22TB
Old 04-10-2021, 11:01 AM
Sage Icon

That’s puzzling for sure. The installer actions are the same between versions but just install different SageTV components. 9.2.2 has been out for almost a year and you’re the first to report this issue.

Between 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 there were a fair number of changes to the Java code and “cleanup” to a bunch of Windows native DLL code. The hangs and thread state dumps are a Java thing though I suppose they could be hung in calls to native code. Did you save any details from the dumped thread states?
Old 04-10-2021, 02:15 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
That’s puzzling for sure. The installer actions are the same between versions but just install different SageTV components. 9.2.2 has been out for almost a year and you’re the first to report this issue.

Between 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 there were a fair number of changes to the Java code and “cleanup” to a bunch of Windows native DLL code. The hangs and thread state dumps are a Java thing though I suppose they could be hung in calls to native code. Did you save any details from the dumped thread states?
I wondered the same thing when I realized that it'd been sitting on my computer waiting for me to get around to installing it for so long!

I do have snapshots of the failed install subdirs which include log files.
How much of a dump would you like? Just a hang or some number of lines before a hang + the hang?

DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
Synology NAS 22TB
Old 04-10-2021, 02:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk21770 View Post
I wondered the same thing when I realized that it'd been sitting on my computer waiting for me to get around to installing it for so long!

I do have snapshots of the failed install subdirs which include log files.
How much of a dump would you like? Just a hang or some number of lines before a hang + the hang?
Mostly looking for the part where it dumped a bunch of Java threads after that message saying it would. The threads that are in process can help narrow down what it’s so busy doing.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:14 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Mostly looking for the part where it dumped a bunch of Java threads after that message saying it would. The threads that are in process can help narrow down what it’s so busy doing.
Too long to embed.
Attached.

a few days later...

Thank you everyone who looked over the log!

I may have discovered the problem -- I haven't had a chance to go back and check since it requires a complete overwrite of my C drive, but while working on SageTV64, I discovered that I launch the service with my credentials not system's. This seems to makes it work cleaner with my NAS. I've had problems with client installs on laptops when they couldn't access the NAS -- they kept hanging until I tried logging into my NAS from the laptop before launching SageClient. I'm not sure why this is necessary since I thought that Sage Service on the master computer would be streaming it to the client? (Otherwise how could it work on the internet?)

But I also *think* that I just got SageTV 64 working! (Still testing) So it may not need to be fixed :-). I did the copy all files from 32 bit, find and edit all paths, install and hack-away until it works :-). (Part of the hacking was changing the credentials for sage service to me.)

David
Attached Files
File Type: txt Seeker.txt (45.6 KB, 135 views)

Synology NAS 22TB

Last edited by davidk21770; 04-15-2021 at 09:24 AM.