SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-25-2020, 08:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjim1 View Post
I guess I need an hd300 for dummies book. Who makes/made these? A search showed everything from an anemometer to a Sprayer for a John Deere something or other but nothing applicable.
SageTV made these. They were, and still are, the best client for SageTV assuming that you don't need H.265, 4K or access to streaming services. The Android TV client is catching up, but it still seems to struggle with some MPEG-2 content.

Old 12-26-2020, 06:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
So that one person receives the units, takes requests and arranges re-shipping to those who are wanting? Can you PM me the shipping estimate for all the units to 92672? I’d likely do it if I knew all were spoken for, and it looks like that shouldn’t be a problem
I'll pack them up and get you a shipping estimate early next week.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
So no Media Server? Not sure I could survive with just streaming services.
No media server at all and surprisingly I don't miss it. My sports of choice are F1, MotoGP, and football. Most football games are on network TV which I get with my internet. (Internet package from Comcast with locals is cheaper than without.) With F1 and MotoGP the streaming services offer the best coverage.

What do you use your media server for?

What I miss about SageTV:
- Commercial skipping. I have not found anything similar for streaming services and many of the services have MORE commercials than cable TV did.
- The ability to tinker and customize the behavior.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I'll pack them up and get you a shipping estimate early next week.
my Paypal account is empty, so I’ll need to add funds, which would take a few days. I’ll get on that.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 12-26-2020, 10:27 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
No media server at all and surprisingly I don't miss it. My sports of choice are F1, MotoGP, and football. Most football games are on network TV which I get with my internet. (Internet package from Comcast with locals is cheaper than without.) With F1 and MotoGP the streaming services offer the best coverage.

What do you use your media server for?
I use my media server:
  • Copies of movies I have recorded or purchased over the years
  • Shows that are off the air, but we never watched
  • Streaming shows
  • New TV Series (I have 3 years of one and never even watched the pilot)
  • My Music Collection (not thru SageTV)
  • My Photos (not thru SageTV)

I prefer to watch streaming showing from a local recording since FF and REW while streaming often causes problems.

I am spoiled since I have a 16TB NAS.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 12-26-2020, 11:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
SageTV made these. They were, and still are, the best client for SageTV assuming that you don't need H.265, 4K or access to streaming services. The Android TV client is catching up, but it still seems to struggle with some MPEG-2 content.
Thanks.

I'll take one, maybe two if enough are left over.
And thanks Tmiranda for all the support you've given over the years.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:50 PM
SageTVaholic

I watched (am watching) an NFL football game this afternoon for the first time on Amazon Prime. Not only am I stuck watching a *plethora* of Amazon commercials, but I can't even pause the damn thing to move my laundry, go to the bathroom, or get some snacks. Thanks Amazon for taking technology backwards about 20 years.

I actually pay Amazon to let me watch their commercials. What a treat streaming is.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:52 PM
SageTVaholic

(and that's not even mentioning that I also pay them a yearly fee for 2-day delivery, that has turned into far more than 2-day delivery times)
Old 12-26-2020, 11:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I watched (am watching) an NFL football game this afternoon for the first time on Amazon Prime. Not only am I stuck watching a *plethora* of Amazon commercials, but I can't even pause the damn thing to move my laundry, go to the bathroom, or get some snacks. Thanks Amazon for taking technology backwards about 20 years.

I actually pay Amazon to let me watch their commercials. What a treat streaming is.
Love my TiVo, HATE streaming. Thanks, FCC, for killing cable cards last month. Now the monopoly will finally become ‘aware’
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 12-27-2020, 07:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
I use my media server:
  • Copies of movies I have recorded or purchased over the years
  • Shows that are off the air, but we never watched
  • Streaming shows
  • New TV Series (I have 3 years of one and never even watched the pilot)
  • My Music Collection (not thru SageTV)
  • My Photos (not thru SageTV)

I prefer to watch streaming showing from a local recording since FF and REW while streaming often causes problems.

I am spoiled since I have a 16TB NAS.
I have boat loads of movies that I ripped to DVD long ago. My experience is that I never watch them New series and shows off the air I can generally find on one of the streaming services. The old networks are furiously competing to make their services more attractive and have put most of their collections online, albeit that you have to pay for some of it.

I have my music and photos on a dedicated NAS as well as backed up to an Ubuntu machine and a Windows machine. I keep the Ubuntu machine turned off most of the time to reduce the chances of getting hit by malware that attacks the network. (Better safe than sorry?) I also back up my photos to Google photos and Amazon photos. My digitized photo collection is by far my most prized digital information.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post

IMO sports is the main reason to stick with a SageTV system. The options for streaming sports are not ideal and you often make tradeoffs, like:
  • With some of the services you can't start watching a game an hour in, you have to watch it live or wait until the game is over to start from the beginning.
  • Inability to easily skip through halftime, commercials, short breaks in play.
  • When you can skip it takes several seconds to buffer, it is not instant like SageTV.
  • Local blackouts on the streaming services as the teams want to maximize local TV rights revenue so they are in cahoots with the cable channels to force you to subscribe.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
IMO sports is the main reason to stick with a SageTV system.[/LIST]
I always agree with you on this but Sage truly provides the best experience for sports. I have been conditioned by Sage with comskip and quick skipping and anything less has become aggravating.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for all your plugins, Tom. And it's a nice gesture with the extenders.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:04 PM
Sage Icon

I'd be happy to handle the distribution as well.

Whoever ends up handling it, the easiest thing to do is probably to send them out in the USPS Priority mail small box. It's a flat rate (something like $8.50) and you can get the boxes for free at the post office. The HD-300 is certainly small enough to fit in it, even with any power supplies and dongles.

That way everyone pays the same thing and should make everything easier logistically.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 12-27-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:16 PM
Sage User

Thank you for offering these. Sad to see you leave the Sage community.
To whomever takes over the distribution I'd love to receive 3 for my personal use. Shipping would be to Canada if you are able to ship internationally.
Thank you very much!
Old 12-28-2020, 09:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
I'd be happy to handle the distribution as well.

Whoever ends up handling it, the easiest thing to do is probably to send them out in the USPS Priority mail small box. It's a flat rate (something like $8.50) and you can get the boxes for free at the post office. The HD-300 is certainly small enough to fit in it, even with any power supplies and dongles.

That way everyone pays the same thing and should make everything easier logistically.
Besides off-continent, Alaska or international, makes sense. Does that offer any insurance value?
Old 12-28-2020, 10:31 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Besides off-continent, Alaska or international, makes sense. Does that offer any insurance value?
$50 coverage for the flat rate. I believe you can purchase more if needed for a small fee. I also think the flat rate is good for any US state or territory - even Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, etc.

International shipping is going to be a different animal. The rate for the priority mail small box to Canada is $27.90, so there may be better alternatives if it needs to go internationally.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 12-28-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So that one person receives the units, takes requests and arranges re-shipping to those who are wanting? Can you PM me the shipping estimate for all the units to 92672? I’d likely do it if I knew all were spoken for, and it looks like that shouldn’t be a problem
I have the box all packed. Please PM me your address and I'll send it off.

There are 9 units total.

Tom

Old 12-29-2020, 08:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have the box all packed. Please PM me your address and I'll send it off.

There are 9 units total.

Tom
ok, will do.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:45 PM
Sage User

TVMaster,
If there are still available, I would like one.

John