SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Canada
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Canada SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from Canada - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Canada.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:31 PM
Sage User

Vidéotron Helix TV

Hi,
Anyone know if Helix TV work well with SageTV?

Can the HD PVR 2 record the signal from the Helix box?
Can the USB-UIRT control the Helix box?
Old 10-08-2020, 06:14 AM
SageTVaholic

It looks like Helix is based on Comcast's IPTV system, just like Rogers' Ignite TV.

You should be able to record from the Helix box although this depends on being able to get past the HDCP encryption on the HDMI port. This can usually be done with an HDMI splitter. But this is no different than a traditional cable box's HDMI output.

The USB-UIRT should be able to control the box, assuming that the box has an IR remote control.

One thing to keep in mind with this box is that it may make it very difficult for you to use your own router rather than Videotron's modem/gateway.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

I think with Rogers Ignite you can program their box for IR but then the included RF remote won't work. You might want to check this with Videotron if that is an issue.

Martin
Old 10-08-2020, 08:18 AM
SageTVaholic

It looks like some of the IPTV Set Top Boxes may allow IP control to change channels. If that is the case then that would be an option in SageTV and should be better in many ways than IR.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:16 PM
Sage User

Thank you, the HDMI splitter trick to bypass HDCP is new to me! Learned something new.

Few days ago I would not said that but the more I think about it, the more I realize it's time to say goodbye to my HTPC and SageTV. (after nearly 15 years with SageTV I will try to not cry)

Since I have a smart TV, I stream local files from my Synology NAS. And for live TV, Helix seem a good replacement to SageTV (I will miss the Smart Recording though). And sometime my HTPC is a PITA to manage! I mean when it work, it's fantastic. But when something break it's difficult to find the cause and the solution to make it work again.

... And my friends will stop asking me how to change channels

Hopefully the HDMI splitter trick will work, so I will be able to record and archive the few TV shows I want to keep.

UPDATE:
If someone is wondering,
yes, with the HDMI slitter I can record Helix with the Hauppauge Capture software.
Alternatively, I can also record via the Helix web app with a software that record streaming files.

Last edited by Vitalogy; 11-20-2020 at 02:24 PM. Reason: update