SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 08-06-2020, 04:54 PM
SageTVaholic

TiVo Stream - anyone using one?

TiVo has decided to get in on the streaming services gadget game, and now has a streaming device like Roku, Apple TV, Firestick, etc., called 'TiVo Stream'
Points for originality.
Anywho - anyone using one? I think they run the standard, Android TV software, which would possibly make them good for running the SageTV Miniclient on?
Could be nice....and only $50 at them moment, not to mention TiVo's excellent interface.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 10-11-2020, 08:04 AM

I haven't heard of Tivo Stream. I only know chromecast since that is the only stream I am using.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:27 AM
Sage User

I bought a Tivo stream a few months ago for all of the streaming capabilities. I initially had no thoughts of using it for SageTV. But I loaded it on the Tivo stream and it works well for the most part. It does seem to just crash on rare occasions, gut starts right back up. I found that this crash usually happened on initial startup and waiting a couple of minutes reduced the frequency.
The remote really does work well after getting used to it.
The miniclient on the Tivo stream in my opinion performs far better than it does on the Firestick.
8 gig ram windows 10 64 bit, sage V9.2.0.441 64 bit running in a VM on a ESXI 6.0 host - Xeon 1246 E3 - 32 GB ram, 2 TB recording drive with the controller passed through and 5 TB recording drive spave in a Freenas server, 1 silicon dust HDHR DUO and 1 Quatro for 6 OTA tuners, 1 HDHR Prime for 3 cable tuners, 2 BM1000-HDMI network encoders for cableboxes, 2 Placeshifters, 3 extenders, 1client
Old 12-13-2020, 08:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatodave View Post
I bought a Tivo stream a few months ago for all of the streaming capabilities. I initially had no thoughts of using it for SageTV. But I loaded it on the Tivo stream and it works well for the most part. It does seem to just crash on rare occasions, gut starts right back up. I found that this crash usually happened on initial startup and waiting a couple of minutes reduced the frequency.
The remote really does work well after getting used to it.
The miniclient on the Tivo stream in my opinion performs far better than it does on the Firestick.
Yeah, if the remote borrows anything from the regular TiVo remote (one of the very best), that would go a long way to making it a better, Sage experience.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 12-13-2020, 01:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Yeah, if the remote borrows anything from the regular TiVo remote (one of the very best), that would go a long way to making it a better, Sage experience.
Agreed - this seems to have the best remote of any AndroidTV device by an order of magnitude.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Agreed - this seems to have the best remote of any AndroidTV device by an order of magnitude.
And on sale at the moment: https://www.tivo.com/products/stream...SAAEgKgqvD_BwE
Old 01-07-2021, 07:43 PM
Sage User

I picked up a tivo stream 4k about a week ago. Very happy with it so far. Best remote of any streaming device I've used. Sage mini-client works really well.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thopkin1 View Post
I picked up a tivo stream 4k about a week ago. Very happy with it so far. Best remote of any streaming device I've used. Sage mini-client works really well.
Great, thanks. Other apps too - Amazon, Netflix, MotorTrend, etc.?
Old 01-07-2021, 08:50 PM
SageTVaholic

This is an AndroidTV box so it should have the exact same apps as the other AndroidTV boxes like the Shield, Chromecast w GoogleTV, MiBox, etc. That shouldn't be any different between the various boxes able to run SageTV.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thopkin1 View Post
Forgot to ask - do you have any regular, TiVo dvr’s in the house? Have they integrated yet?
Old 01-08-2021, 06:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

It seems that the remote is RF, rather than IR? Is there a way to use an IR remote? I use a Logitech remote to control everything, and adding a second remote is out of the (WAF) question.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:58 PM
Sage User

wayner is right, a ton of apps from Google play. Other apps can be side loaded.

No, I don't have tivo DVRs. I don't think it integrates with TiVo devices but it may.

No IR that I'm aware of, but, I'll check to see if HDMI-Cec works.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:52 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkoenig View Post
It seems that the remote is RF, rather than IR? Is there a way to use an IR remote? I use a Logitech remote to control everything, and adding a second remote is out of the (WAF) question.
looks like people use bluetooth keyboards with it. this is how i use my harmony remotes to control my nvidia shields. You have to add a "windows computer" as a device in harmony, then it will pair the hub with the streaming device via bluetooth. Then, add the computer (which doesn't actually exist, you're just telling the hub there's a keyboard to talk to) to your Activity that controls the Tivo Stream. From there, you can customize keyboard commands to whatever commands logitech has for the tivo stream. Bit of a learning curve, but you should be able to control a lot of things.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:56 PM
Sage User

I checked today, HDMI-Cec works. Meaning if your TV supports it, the TV will pass the command made via IR to the TiVo stream.