SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:55 PM
SageTVaholic

HD300 'Hostname' in System Info

I got a used HD300 from another member here a while back, and am getting around to implementing it, except something is odd:

In the Setup Menu/System Information/System Status area, the HOSTNAME is listed as 'Tango3', which is I assume the last owners Server hostname?

Any idea how I get that to correctly read the hostname of MY server?

I've done a RESET of the HD300 I believe, so that wasn't it.

I also looked in the properties of my SageTV Clients folder, found the MAC address for this unit, but could find no line item for 'HOSTNAME' in the properties file.

Any ideas?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 04-06-2020, 01:48 PM
Sage Icon

The hostname of the HD300 is tango3

tango3[~]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 tango3
Old 04-06-2020, 01:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
The hostname of the HD300 is tango3

tango3[~]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 tango3
every HD300 in the world's hostname is tango3?
sorry, not following.

EDIT - just checked all my HD200's, whose hostname's are all STP-HD200. Naturaly I thought the HD300 followed suit. Apparently not, as I checked my older HD300... tango3.
What's up with that? Could be the stupidest thing to call the machine? There must be a reason...
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 04-06-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:04 PM
Sage Icon

The hostname is only on your local network. I assume the 3 is because it's version 3. Tango3? I don't know. Maybe a reference to T3 (Terminator 3)?
Old 04-06-2020, 05:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
The hostname is only on your local network. I assume the 3 is because it's version 3. Tango3? I don't know. Maybe a reference to T3 (Terminator 3)?
But there's no way to change it to something meaningful? lol. Alpha, Beta, Charlie, Tango?

How about STP-HD300?
Old 04-06-2020, 09:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
every HD300 in the world's hostname is tango3?
sorry, not following.
I thing what he means is that if you telnet into the HD300 (username root, no password required) you will see that the Hostname is tango3. This can be seen in the file /etc/hosts. If you change the name of the localhost in the hosts file to whatever you want then you may be able to change that name.

But why does it really matter? I am not sure that you will really see this anywhere and that is NOT the server, name just the default client name. But you likely won't ever see that unless you go to this System Status area of the extender, which you shouldn't ever have to do.

Note - to edit this you likely have to use vi as that is the only editor available in the Linux version on the extender. And vi is freakin' painful to use.

You may be able to edit it on a PC and SCP it over to the extender, but I am not sure that an extender accepts SCP connections.

Note - here is the hosts file on an HD200:
Code:
STP-HD200[/etc]# cat hosts      
127.0.0.1       localhost STP-HD200
To compare with what was posted above.

You also see this at the telnet login prompt. For a 300 you get "tango3 login:" whereas for a 200 you get "STP-HD200 login:"

Even if you can, you may not want to change this as there may be certain routines that depend on receiving tango3 to identify that it is an HD300. You may, or may not, be using such tools. I have written a groovy web utility that can list all of the SageTV clients and miniclients on your LAN and list the type of client. That utility will depend on this API extension which (I thiknk) was written by Slugger a few years back.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I thing what he means is that if you telnet into the HD300 (username root, no password required) you will see that the Hostname is tango3. This can be seen in the file /etc/hosts. If you change the name of the localhost in the hosts file to whatever you want then you may be able to change that name.

But why does it really matter? I am not sure that you will really see this anywhere and that is NOT the server, name just the default client name. But you likely won't ever see that unless you go to this System Status area of the extender, which you shouldn't ever have to do.

Note - to edit this you likely have to use vi as that is the only editor available in the Linux version on the extender. And vi is freakin' painful to use.

You may be able to edit it on a PC and SCP it over to the extender, but I am not sure that an extender accepts SCP connections.

Note - here is the hosts file on an HD200:
Code:
STP-HD200[/etc]# cat hosts      
127.0.0.1       localhost STP-HD200
To compare with what was posted above.

You also see this at the telnet login prompt. For a 300 you get "tango3 login:" whereas for a 200 you get "STP-HD200 login:"

Even if you can, you may not want to change this as there may be certain routines that depend on receiving tango3 to identify that it is an HD300. You may, or may not, be using such tools. I have written a groovy web utility that can list all of the SageTV clients and miniclients on your LAN and list the type of client. That utility will depend on this API extension which (I thiknk) was written by Slugger a few years back.
Thanks for this very thorough response. I guess you’re right - better just leave well enough alone. It’s just an odd thing to name it after the STP-HD200 seemed so logical.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

You need to stop the HD300 BEFORE it connects to the server to get to the system settings.
In the Main Menu go to the Settings option.
Select Advanced Setup
Go to the Server section
Set 'Windows File Server' to Enabled
Set 'Windows File Server Workgroup' to WORKGROUP (This is usually the default of any Windows installation)
Set 'Windows File Server Network Name' to your choice - apparently Tango3 in your case

Back your way out and reconnect to your server as usual.

Hope this helps.
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT
Old 04-07-2020, 10:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstanley View Post
You need to stop the HD300 BEFORE it connects to the server to get to the system settings.
In the Main Menu go to the Settings option.
Select Advanced Setup
Go to the Server section
Set 'Windows File Server' to Enabled
Set 'Windows File Server Workgroup' to WORKGROUP (This is usually the default of any Windows installation)
Set 'Windows File Server Network Name' to your choice - apparently Tango3 in your case

Back your way out and reconnect to your server as usual.

Hope this helps.
I don't think that's the same. Tango3 isn't the server name, it is the default client name for the HD300 extender.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Just changed mine from its current HD300 to LIVINGROOM and that is what is says under System Status now for HOSTNAME

Image of system status
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
Old 04-07-2020, 02:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Just changed mine from its current HD300 to LIVINGROOM and that is what is says under System Status now for HOSTNAME

Image of system status
Cool.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:42 PM
SageTVaholic

When an extender connects to the SageTV Server, and I bring up the Web UI on a local PC, I typically click on the client name and just change it there. Is this having the same effect?
Old 04-07-2020, 04:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Image of system status
Where did you change it? In the hosts file or somewhere else?

If you telnet does it give you a prompt like:
LIVINGROOM login:
Old 04-07-2020, 04:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
When an extender connects to the SageTV Server, and I bring up the Web UI on a local PC, I typically click on the client name and just change it there. Is this having the same effect?
Not quite the same. I do that for all of my extenders as well and that is the best way to keep track of them in the web UI if you have a lot - like I do.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Works on my system - this is the Telnet screen from my MAC after I have changed the 'name' in the settings as my previous post.

IMG_0665.jpg
Old 12-30-2022, 01:56 PM
SageTVaholic

I just plugged in an HD300 extender that I bought used and when I telnet into it it has a hostname of JKITCHEN. As discussed in this thread, you can change the name in the extender standalone UI if you go into Settings/Advanced Setup/Server. You have to then Enable Windows File Server. When you do that you can change the Windows File Server Network name and it uses that for the hostname in the extender's Linux settings.

But when you change the settings it looks like you can only change to capital letters. I was trying to change it to tango3 as that is what all of my other servers have. But when I change it to tango3 when you telnet into the server it says TANGO3.

I tried changing the hostname via a telnet session, both by changing the entry in the hosts file to be tango3 and using the hostname command from the command prompt. But those changes do not stick. Somehow they keep getting reset to what was entered in the extender onscreen UI.

I don't know that this really matters, but I have some telnet scripts to automatically turn the extenders on and off, and I was worried that having a different hostname may screw up the telnet scripts if they have a waitfor"tango3") somewhere in them.

Hope someone finds this info useful...