SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 12-24-2019, 09:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Channels DVR - Problems with FFMPEG and Quicksync

I've been trying to troubleshoot an issue where Channels DVR can't seem to use hardware encoding on a Win 7 64 bit machine whose processor is Quicksync enabled. Quicksync works fine on this same machine using Handbrake, so I'm not just ready to accept the good old "You should just update to Windows 10." Especially when their website advertises that their server software is compatible with Windows 7, including hardware encoding with enabled hardware. On the other hand, it is the prerogative of the developers to decide what they want to support at any moment.

I really need hardware encoding to work to make use of what is probably one of Channels greatest features - the ability to stream when I'm remote, but I certainly don't want the unpredictable dynamic update behavior of Windows 10 on the machine that handles all my media, Sage included.

I'm basically having the same exact problems that are posted in this thread (Core i5-2500k but I don't have a discrete video card like the OP), but I'm not knowledgeable enough with FFMPEG parameters to really troubleshoot the error:

https://community.getchannels.com/t/...-7-x64/19684/1

If anyone has any ideas, I would sure appreciate hearing them.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:48 PM
SageTVaholic

I've turned off automatic updates on my Win 10 laptop. I just use the metered connection hack to get Windows to NOT download updates. Do get a message each week about not being able to download. I also have a warning icon in the system area about it.

I always reapply the following registry entry after I do an upgrade manually:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost]
"Ethernet"=dword:00000001
"WiFi"=dword:00000001
To return to automatic updates I use this:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost]
"Ethernet"=dword:00000002
"WiFi"=dword:00000002
Old 12-24-2019, 04:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks, Bob, but this 24/7 machine runs SageTV server, Channels DVR server, and Windows Media Center (for DRM cablecard access). If Handbrake can use Quicksync, anything on the machine should be able to do it.