SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

HD300 as Placeshifter - Auto Connect not working.

Pretty much says it.... I've recently set up an HD300 remotely using the Placeshifter method and would like it to automatically connect to the server. I have checked the box 'Auto Connect to Server' and reports a timeout setting of 5 seconds, but it does not automatically connect. Any way to fix this?
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist
Old 10-16-2017, 10:58 AM
Sage User

Placeshifting won't work automatically from a remote location without changing some settings on your HD300 and your home network's router. You might also need to tweak firewall settings on the machine SageTV is running on. At any rate, here is what has worked for me in the past to enable Placeshifter like functionality using an HD300. This is lengthy; however any missed steps could prevent it from working:
  • Enable port forwarding on your home network's router. Add a port forwarding rule to forward port 31099 to the internal IP address of your SageTV server. Also verify that the machine SageTV is running on will allow port 31099 traffic from an external network to pass through its firewall.
  • Determine the public IP Address for your home network: From any home computer on your home network go to Google and enter "What is my IP".
  • Start up your HD300 and immediately press "Enter" to prevent it from Auto Connecting.
  • From the SageTV menu, go to SageTV Servers --> Edit Server List --> Add New Server. Add a name for the remote server and then check "Connect directly by hostname/IP".
  • Enter the public IP Address of your home network; this is the IP address we determined from the earlier step. If your public IP address is not static, you might want to use a Dynamic DNS Service instead. In that case you would enter a hostname instead of an IP address.
  • Click Add Server.
Note: If you are using the "Auto Connect to Server" option, double check to make sure the HD300 is set to connect to the Remote Server that you've just set up.

Also, you will need a fast internet connection on both ends for this to work as the HD300 client isn't really designed for low bandwidth streaming (however it is possible with some tweaking). Good luck!
Old 10-16-2017, 06:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks...
I have (had) all of that set up and can view pretty darn good video using the HD300 remotely. What I can't figure out how to do is have the HD300 automatically connect to the remote server, even though I've checked the 'Auto Connect to Server' box. I can go over to 'Servers', select my remote Server, and it connects, plays, etc.

My home HD200 box boots directly to the Server when I turn it on. I want the remote HD300 to do the same.
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist