SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV United Kingdom
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV United Kingdom SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the UK - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in the UK.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:38 AM
Sage Icon

Do you have a working Commercials Skipper?

This question has probably been asked before, but is anyone in the UK (and EU) using Comskip or other similar product with STV with any success?

I ask because my previous attempts haven't been good enough so I've been working, in the last few months, on a different approach for the UK and EU market which, touching wood, looks very promising and is done at the transport stream level as part of the DVB decrypter plugin. The new implementation generates .EDL files and is therefore fully compatible with the Comskip Playback plugin.

Cheers
Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 09-07-2016, 04:22 AM
Sage Icon

I tried a few years ago, results were hopeless, gave up.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 09-07-2016, 05:27 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
Well, hopefully things are about to change pretty soon

Cheers
Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 09-07-2016, 07:38 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm in the US but I have comskip working quite well. Comskip's defaults are tuned for US ATSC so you may have to run through the optimization routines to get something that works well for you. May take a little bit of time but it's not difficult.

You may be able to find someone on the comskip forums who has already created a working UK ini file.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:49 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm curious what would be so different between video in the US and video in the UK that would prevent comskip from working.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-07-2016, 08:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm curious what would be so different between video in the US and video in the UK that would prevent comskip from working.
I was thinking that UK HDTV uses different black and white levels but it looks like I'm wrong. It's all standardized on the BT.709 color gamut.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I was thinking that UK HDTV uses different black and white levels but it looks like I'm wrong. It's all standardized on the BT.709 color gamut.
Yeah, as far as I know, the only difference when dealing with HD content is the framerate (25 vs 29.97, 50 vs 59.94), which shouldn't affect comskip at all.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-08-2016, 02:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Yeah, as far as I know, the only difference when dealing with HD content is the framerate (25 vs 29.97, 50 vs 59.94), which shouldn't affect comskip at all.
It's not the video format that makes it difficult for Comskip to work properly, it's more the advertising pattern that is different to detect, for instance, in US during an advert there isn't a station logo and that because the advertiser "buy" the whole screen to get your attention and as broadcaster if you fail, by showing something on screen other than the advert, the broadcaster get sued and pay million of dollars in penalty fees, in UK there isn't such restriction also sometimes the logos are even dynamic making the whole process even more difficult.

To cut a long story short, the only kind of "guaranteed" behaviour in the UK is a sort of silence between adverts that, by law, should be at least 120 msecs between adverts, but sometimes it doesn't last that long or the silence level has a small DC offset or changes slightly in order to not get detected.

Cheers
Eddy

Old 09-08-2016, 04:32 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
Same here.

As most adverts on channels I watch are around 4 minutes I just click fast forward 4 times and I'm sorted
Old 09-08-2016, 09:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfire View Post
Same here.

As most adverts on channels I watch are around 4 minutes I just click fast forward 4 times and I'm sorted
Yes you are probably right. The UK is more regulated on that extend, not sure about the rest of EU, on the Italian channels there are no rules (as you might have guessed) and some commercials runs for more than 20 minutes

Eddy

Old 09-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Sage Expert

20 minutes?! You got to be joking, think I'd give up on TV
Old 09-08-2016, 10:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by routerunner View Post
Yes you are probably right. The UK is more regulated on that extend, not sure about the rest of EU, on the Italian channels there are no rules (as you might have guessed) and some commercials runs for more than 20 minutes

Eddy
Do they play the show uninterrupted and then have a solid block of ads for 20min between shows? I would sort of understand that. But not having a 20min block in between the show. That would be frustrating at best. Cause people to go do something else and not watch TV at all at worse.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
... on the Italian channels there are no rules (as you might have guessed) ...
LOL. So true.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Do they play the show uninterrupted and then have a solid block of ads for 20min between shows? I would sort of understand that. But not having a 20min block in between the show. That would be frustrating at best. Cause people to go do something else and not watch TV at all at worse.
No, the shows are normally interrupted and they never ever run on time. Me and my wife are so used now that we normally set the start time at least 15 minutes later and extend the overall time by 30 minutes. Even worse, movies are always split into two parts in the EPG with the News in the middle, so we need to tweak three recordings to watch the entire movie

Eddy

Old 09-08-2016, 12:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
No, the shows are normally interrupted and they never ever run on time. Me and my wife are so used now that we normally set the start time at least 15 minutes later and extend the overall time by 30 minutes. Even worse, movies are always split into two parts in the EPG with the News in the middle, so we need to tweak three recordings to watch the entire movie

Eddy
Wow, that sounds maddening.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

I can add that here in the UK Comskip is hopeless. Over the years believe me I have tried and failed and tried and failed. Then give up. Even when I thought I had a working solution it broke the next day.

Here in the UK it seems the broadcasts are Comskip aware and seem to change how Ads start and finish. From changing black frames between ads to white. They also add black frames/cuts in shows that Comskip choked on.

But....

I have been helping Eddy beta test his Comskip alternative. And have to say I'm very impressed. There are a few issues with HD Channels that are still to be resolved.

On SD Channels and most HD Channels it's 99% accurate. Never had it miss an advert and it's never detected an ad in the middle of a show. Has missed the middle of an AD once or twice but still picked up the start and end.

Best part is I have not had to configure anything. Only adjustment I made is to the Comskip play back pluggin to detect the EDL files.

I have been waiting years for something like this. Now it's finally here I seem to be missing adverts which is very odd feeling.

Dean
Old 10-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

sounds great. if Eddy needs some more testers count me in.

Paul
Old 10-02-2016, 03:17 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukka View Post
sounds great. if Eddy needs some more testers count me in.

Paul
Thank you very much for the offer. Do you use DVB-T2? If so you might help me. Please send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you some instruction.

Cheers
Eddy

Old 10-07-2016, 01:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanm View Post
I have been waiting years for something like this. Now it's finally here I seem to be missing adverts which is very odd feeling.
Don't worry Dean I've just added the ability to enable commercials skipping by categories and/or favourites to relieve your advert absence sickness

Cheers
Eddy

Old 10-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanm View Post
I have been helping Eddy beta test his Comskip alternative. And have to say I'm very impressed. There are a few issues with HD Channels that are still to be resolved.

On SD Channels and most HD Channels it's 99% accurate. Never had it miss an advert and it's never detected an ad in the middle of a show. Has missed the middle of an AD once or twice but still picked up the start and end.

Best part is I have not had to configure anything. Only adjustment I made is to the Comskip play back pluggin to detect the EDL files.

Dean
Sounds good, looking forward to it also.