SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Canada
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Canada SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from Canada - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Canada.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:54 PM

Rogers DCX3510-m

Hi all,

I have searched for some answers on this, but came up empty.

I have recently decided to switch providers (Shaw Direct to Rogers) and upgrade from SD to HD (yes I know, long overdue). I just found out that you cannot assign different remote addresses for Rogers receivers.

I have ran 3 tuners for the last 12 years using a usb-uirt, so I still want a minimum of 3 tuners in the same room. I understand I will not be able to use ir with Rogers receivers, though I do know about using firewire to change channels.

My main question is this, "Is anyone running multiple DCX3510-m receivers and using firewire to change channels?". If this is not possible, is there any other work around? I do not want to be force to just one tuner or even worse, give up SageTV to use the Rogers PVR. I am not opposed to staying with Shaw Direct, I just wanted to save money with the Rogers Bundle (phone, internet, tv, cell). I think Shaw Direct's non-pvr receivers can still assign remote addresses.

I hope anyone can help, as I am ready for the long awaited upgrade to HD. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:00 AM
Sage Icon

You can setup USBUIRT to use up to 3 "zones", if you attach the external emitters. Tape the emitters to the fronts of your STB's with electrical tape, so the signal from a particular emitter is only seen by the box it is attached to.

You have to use a text editor to modify your .ir file and make a separate file for each zone.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 08-25-2016, 07:57 AM
SageTVaholic

What Tiki said. Here is a thread from 2004 that gives more info: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...p?postid=48916

The USB-UIRT is capable of three zones - one "main" zone that blasts out of the main unit that goes to the entire room and two more localized zones that only send signals via an IR emitter. You may need to do a bit of wiring to connect the three lead headphone jack to connect to two IR emitters. You could do this by using the plug from an old pair of headphones and then attach it to two different IR emitters.

I do use firewire on my Rogers boxes but they are way older than the box that you mention. I have SA3250HD and SA4250HD boxes. I am not sure that firewire is active on your box and even if it is the drivers for firewire may not work on that box, but you can give it a try. The other issue is that you can't use firewire if you are using a 64 bit OS, at least that is the case with Windows.

One other possiblity is IP tuning if that box supports that.

Are you in the Maritimes? That box looks like a Motorola box - I don't think they ever used those here in Ontario.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:23 PM

First off, both of you have just blown my mind. I haven't even looked at the USB-UIRT in over 12 years and didn't even remember the ir output on the back. I never needed to use it, so I honestly did forget it was there.

From what I have read, the ir output will be zones 1 & 2 and the front ir will be zone 3. I assume that any other receiver (different brand or another provider) will also work off the front ir with the other receivers. As much as I would like to have a fourth tuner, I never really did need more than three with time shifting. I might do OTA at some point just to have, but coverage isn't great here in the maritimes.

I feel I have been out of the game for so long. I never wanted to give up on SageTV. Now being open source, I feel more confident. I am currently running v5. something, as v6 had some issues for me at the time. At some point I just stopped messing with things and let it go for years being stable.

My next build will be very similar with just being a client, with three Colossus 2 cards and a GTX 960 video card. I believe this is the right config for what I want. I will be retiring my old Sony tube for a new 4K set. The last thing on the list will be the tv, as I want everything working before I purchase and install that.

This will be a work in progress, but this is something I have been waiting to do for a long time. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.