SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Information & Announcements > SageTV Downloads & Instructions
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Downloads & Instructions This forum is for discussions containing Downloads and Instructions related to the Open Source version of SageTV. Please do not post questions in this forum.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:14 PM
Sage Expert

I did this with a clean install so I can't say for sure that it will work, BUT the script does check if the version already installed is the same and if not it continues with the install. It shouldn't damage your current install. As always, I would recommend to backup your setup just in case it doesn't work. It also shouldn't affect operation of usbiurt or any other plugins. I installed Linux mint 18 which is based on ubuntu 16 so you should be fine upgrading to the latest ubuntu, but I would upgrade ubuntu before rerunning the updated script.
Sage Tv Server-Amd 4200FX quad core, Asus Nvidia EN610 Hdmi out , 8 Gig Ram ,(3) HVR-1800, 3.5 terrabyte storage, Windows 8 Pro on sage 9.09 system . Media Server- 6 Terabytes on 5 drives, Amd x2 6000 8 useable gig ram on win 7 32 bit media server.

Last edited by rnadeau; 12-08-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. I will attempt the upgrade to 16 then rerun the script as suggested. After that I will tackle the Colossus nad USB-UIRT. Neither is actually installed in the Linux box as they are both still on my windows Sage TV Server which I am trying to replace. Once I am sure all is stable and functioning on the Linux box I will move these and if all goes well retire my windows box. I will let you know how things work out. Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've been a bit behind in posting an updated, tested script, but it appears to be mostly working (alpha-ish) and aside from quickly (hopefully) figuring out the service control stuff in Ubuntu 16... I'll post it along with the other script hopefully tonight.

Clients: PC Client x 1, HD-300 x 1, AppleTV x 2, WebClient (phone/tablet) x 3
Old 12-11-2016, 11:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm posting an updated script. Its really alpha. While it seems to mostly work, I am still running into a recording error.

I think I'm missing a setting, but am posting this in case anyone else wants to try it.

OS - Ubuntu 16.04.1
SageTV - Auto detect newest - 9.0.9
OpenDCT - Auto detect newest - 0.5.13 (beta)

Current issue.. no video. Files appear in the directory, but never increase in size. I know I've solved this in the past, but I'm too tired to remember the solution. I'm hoping to figure out out tomorrow or so and finish fixing the script. As always a shout out to all the awesome folks on here helping keep people sane (stuckless, Fuzzy, EnterNoEscape, etc). An extra shout out to stuckless for the code to auto detect the newest version.

To run this, you will need to download the file to an install ubuntu 16.04 box, change the name to end in .sh, make it executable and then run it. I'm not making this super user friendly yet because I'm not totally sure this works...
Attached Files
File Type: txt installsage2.txt (21.2 KB, 529 views)

Clients: PC Client x 1, HD-300 x 1, AppleTV x 2, WebClient (phone/tablet) x 3
Old 01-30-2017, 08:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Standard Disclaimer: I am a Linux Newbie but am learning more everyday! It takes time with old folks like me.

So I have used this (original version) script to Install SageTV and OpenDCT on Linux 14.04 LTS several times on two machines and this went well in those cases. This weekend I attempted to install this to a third machine and experienced a challenging issue that I could not fix. So I reinstalled again and the issue reappeared.

Basically the installer seems to have an issue part of the way through the install and leaves a Post Install script in place which then seems to be called up anytime I try to install anything else. This only got worse as I tried to fix that issue with solutions from on-line. Finally I reinstalled but experienced the same issue again when reinstalling with the script. Some of the linux error that popped up while trying to fix this seem to indicate a subprocess which is still open or running. The Post Install script that runs when installing other things seems to ask for the SageTV Key when it executes so I assume that is the sub process......

So I have done yet another OS install but am hesitant to proceed with the script until I understand what is happening? Any help would be appreciated. Oh and btw, I have not tried the new srcipt posted a message or two above this as it was noted to be an alpha which with my limited linux skills I opted not to try at this point. But I could???

I also noted that when I attempted to execute this command:

wget -O installsage.sh http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/atta...7&d=1468205307

I get some type of certificate error suggesting I add "--no-check-certificate" to the command which I do not recall having to do on earlier installs to other machines. Is this normal or has something changes with the certificate for the SageTV site? I also assume that this just pulls down the script so I assume using this "--no-check-certificate" parameter would have no other impact on the actual install?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 02-05-2017, 10:20 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageWizdom View Post
I'm posting an updated script. Its really alpha. While it seems to mostly work, I am still running into a recording error.

I think I'm missing a setting, but am posting this in case anyone else wants to try it.

OS - Ubuntu 16.04.1
SageTV - Auto detect newest - 9.0.9
OpenDCT - Auto detect newest - 0.5.13 (beta)
I just tried the script and it mostly worked pretty well on ubuntu 16.04.

Two issues I ran into...

One, the network detection doesn't work with the new network device names (ie when it's not "eth0"), in my case it's enp0s5. there must be a way to determine the primary network interface but I confess I just commented this section out and pressed ahead. I should look at it again...

Second, the sort doesn't work quite right when determining the most recent version of sagetv to download... I also got 9.0.9 despite 9.0.13 being available. Need to change this:

curl -s https://dl.bintray.com/opensagetv/sagetv/sagetv/ | sed 's/^.*[^0-9]\([0-9]*\.[0-9]*\.[0-9]*\.[0-9]*\).*$/\1/' | egrep -e '9\.[0-9]+' | sort -g | tail -1

to something like this:

curl -s https://dl.bintray.com/opensagetv/sagetv/sagetv/ | sed 's/^.*[^0-9]\([0-9]*\.[0-9]*\.[0-9]*\.[0-9]*\).*$/\1/' | egrep -e '9\.[0-9]+' | sort -t. -k 1,1n -k 2,2n -k 3,3n -k 4,4n | tail -1

other than that it's working well so far - a brief test recording from old HDhomerun seemed to work. This all on an ubuntu VM under bhyve on FreeBSD, no less. Was surprised how straightforward it was to set that up using the vm-bhyve cli, and your script kickstarted the sagetv install nicely. Looking forward to shutting off my vmware box and saving some power!
Old 06-03-2017, 12:30 PM
Sage User

0 time line on .MKV playback

Go easy on me as I am an extreme linux NOOB!!! but enjoying the journey.

I have installed SageTV 9 64bit using SageWisdom's script, (which worked great!! Thank you) on Ubuntu 16.04 64bit server running in a VMWARE ESXI 6.5 version 13 VM.

An HDHR digital OTA network tuner is setup and works great.....Playback is great also, with proper timeline, allowing pause, skip and FF. This tuner is recording to a NFS share on a FREENAS box.

I also have some .MKV videos on that same FREENAS box in another share. When I play these files, they playback just fine. The problem is the timeline is 0...meaning 0 length. This makes it impossible to pause, skip or FF. I tried a MP4 file with the same result.

I can playback ripped BD just fine....timeline is proper here.

Playback for all of this is the same results on HD 200 and HD 300 extenders or windows SageTV client.
I have also tried this on Ubuntu 64 bit server 14.04 with the same results.

Hoping that someone has seen this before.
8 gig ram windows 10 64 bit, sage V9.2.0.441 64 bit running in a VM on a ESXI 6.0 host - Xeon 1246 E3 - 32 GB ram, 2 TB recording drive with the controller passed through and 5 TB recording drive spave in a Freenas server, 1 silicon dust HDHR DUO and 1 Quatro for 6 OTA tuners, 1 HDHR Prime for 3 cable tuners, 2 BM1000-HDMI network encoders for cableboxes, 2 Placeshifters, 3 extenders, 1client
Old 06-25-2017, 09:17 PM
Sage User

script error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageWizdom View Post

To run this, you will need to download the file to an install ubuntu 16.04 box, change the name to end in .sh, make it executable and then run it. I'm not making this super user friendly yet because I'm not totally sure this works...
Maybe there was an edit made after it was originally tested. It doesn't work for me... I get...

root@boomer:/home/cowboyway# ./installsage2.sh
./installsage2.sh: line 375: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
./installsage2.sh: line 375: `}'
Old 06-26-2017, 04:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

This is basically a blind guess but it might be an error in line 369. It reads
Enable_32bit(){

I think that it should be
Enable_32bit() {

I don't have time to test it this morning.....
Old 06-26-2017, 07:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatodave View Post
Go easy on me as I am an extreme linux NOOB!!! but enjoying the journey.

I have installed SageTV 9 64bit using SageWisdom's script, (which worked great!! Thank you) on Ubuntu 16.04 64bit server running in a VMWARE ESXI 6.5 version 13 VM.

An HDHR digital OTA network tuner is setup and works great.....Playback is great also, with proper timeline, allowing pause, skip and FF. This tuner is recording to a NFS share on a FREENAS box.

I also have some .MKV videos on that same FREENAS box in another share. When I play these files, they playback just fine. The problem is the timeline is 0...meaning 0 length. This makes it impossible to pause, skip or FF. I tried a MP4 file with the same result.

I can playback ripped BD just fine....timeline is proper here.

Playback for all of this is the same results on HD 200 and HD 300 extenders or windows SageTV client.
I have also tried this on Ubuntu 64 bit server 14.04 with the same results.

Hoping that someone has seen this before.
I had the same problem. Search for this thread "Imported videos timeline show 0 length" for the solution which worked for me.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:42 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeezer View Post
This is basically a blind guess but it might be an error in line 369. It reads
Enable_32bit(){

I think that it should be
Enable_32bit() {

I don't have time to test it this morning.....
Actually it turned out to be an error because this function had all the lines commented out. In other words it didn't do anything. I added an echo line and then it was happy.

I'll note on the newer version of Ubuntu the check for network function was then failing because it was searching for an ethernet device like "eth0" where as mine was "eno1". I made that edit and things progressed.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:32 AM
Sage User

HDHomerun Prime >> no video?

On a clean Ubuntu server 14.04 64 bit install using the latest installsage2.sh script all goes well. I have a older HDHomerun over the air tuner as well as a cablecard prime tuner. openDCT finds them both.

In sagetv, i add a tuner from each of the hdhomerun devices to the setup and setup the channel guide stuff. Guides load up after a few minutes and the over the air tuner and recordings works great. However the cablecard prime tuner using Comcast does not. I get the no source message on screen. I know that same prime tuner works as my older windows based sagetv 7 setup worked just fine with it and sageDct.

The siliconDust programs from their site have been compiled from source on my newer linux box as well and I've run those to see that the tuner does work and the cable channels do indicate they are "encrypted" in the listing, but believe openDCT is supposed to deal with that.

Any ideas how to get the cable channels to work?
thanks!
Old 01-15-2018, 09:37 PM
Sage Expert

Just ran this script pretty much without a hitch on a clean XUbuntu vm, and worked like a charm. I commented out all the OpenDCT stuff cause I didn't need any of that. . .

Quick question, is there a way to set the name of this server? Right now it just shows up in clients as an IP address
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 01-16-2018, 11:03 AM
Sage Expert

Never mind, it found the machine/vm name later after I connected to it for the first time.

Great job on this script!
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 08-18-2018, 08:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

I used this script to install sagetv and opendct on linux 18.04. Other than making a few tweaks to the script for network & the echo line mentioned above everything went well. However opendct does not seem to start when the PC boots. Doing a status of opendct (sudo service opendct status) seems to indicate it is loaded but is inactive? How can I fix this so I do not have to start this manually with each reboot?

Disregard this post, I found the answer. Just curious why the script did not finish an leave the service active? All is working though!

Last edited by phantomii; 08-19-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:12 PM
Sage Expert

I successfully ran the script on a fresh install of Xubuntu 18.04 with the latest updates. The only issue I had was that it didn't install the latest version, but I suppose that's because I didn't think to update the script before running it. It was simple to install the newer version (9.1.9) over the top and it works now.

Can't wait to do this on a real linux box in the basement... I'm thinking I'll finally retire the Windows server in the basement after god knows how many years of service.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:37 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomii View Post
I used this script to install sagetv and opendct on linux 18.04. Other than making a few tweaks to the script for network & the echo line mentioned above everything went well. However opendct does not seem to start when the PC boots. Doing a status of opendct (sudo service opendct status) seems to indicate it is loaded but is inactive? How can I fix this so I do not have to start this manually with each reboot?

Disregard this post, I found the answer. Just curious why the script did not finish an leave the service active? All is working though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargason View Post
I successfully ran the script on a fresh install of Xubuntu 18.04 with the latest updates. The only issue I had was that it didn't install the latest version, but I suppose that's because I didn't think to update the script before running it. It was simple to install the newer version (9.1.9) over the top and it works now.

Can't wait to do this on a real linux box in the basement... I'm thinking I'll finally retire the Windows server in the basement after god knows how many years of service.
can anyone post up one of their successful scripts. im not sure where to put the echo? thanks

Brian
Old 02-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

installsage.sh update

hi,

I wanted to fix script & update it to point to latest versions. I will be using brackets. Is there anything other than changing file names sagetv server address that needs to be done?
I will be adding sagetv client as well as the server. Once I have edited it I will add a link here.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxysurfer View Post
hi,

I wanted to fix script & update it to point to latest versions. I will be using brackets. Is there anything other than changing file names sagetv server address that needs to be done?
I will be adding sagetv client as well as the server. Once I have edited it I will add a link here.
I believe the docker has a script that automatically pulls the latest version (unless overridden via variable). Might want to look at how it is handled there.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Rasperry Pi?

I've been running the SageTV 9 server on my Windows 10 box and having tried it on Ubuntu yet, but I've just gotten the single-board computer bug and was wondering if there are any projects using Raspberry Pi or any of the other single board computers as either servers or clients? The Raspian OS is based on Ubuntu, I believe. I have my doubts that the micro-sd thing would be very reliable but I gather that one can port to SDD or HDD drives.