SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Canada
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Canada SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from Canada - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Canada.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Shaw Direct Classic East EPG errors continue

Just this morning, around 12noon, all my listings got jumbled. Channel numbers in Sage are incoherent in relation to what the Shaw Direct tv guide shows.
I assume this has something to do with G1's implementation.
Anyone else have their Sage listings go nuts?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 05-29-2013, 03:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Define "nuts"? Yesterday, my Sage EPG updated with all the new HD channels (starting at Ch 1 - I'm East Classic as well). And all those channels are correct from what I can tell.

However, Zap2It today removed all the new HD channels from the Shaw Direct lineups, which will cause problems on my next EPG update. Do you have the new XKu LNB? If not then that's why you don't see the new channels on your STB EPG and today's EPG update should fix you up. If you have the new LNB then today's EPG update will drop all the new HD channels, but the old lineup is still valid (Sage just won't see the new HD channels).
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Sage User

As are mine... I have a DSR505 and DSR605 both still using the 200+ classic channel lineup. I had to reset my recording source in Sage and now I have channels starting at 1+ with many more HD channels. Looks great but I can't use it if my receivers are using a different numbering system. Of course, I could remap channel by channel but I'd rather pull out my own teeth.

Anyone know what's going on? Will my receivers be getting an update soon?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RymCo View Post
As are mine... I have a DSR505 and DSR605 both still using the 200+ classic channel lineup. I had to reset my recording source in Sage and now I have channels starting at 1+ with many more HD channels. Looks great but I can't use it if my receivers are using a different numbering system. Of course, I could remap channel by channel but I'd rather pull out my own teeth.

Anyone know what's going on? Will my receivers be getting an update soon?
yeah, Sage is showing nonsense channel numbers, starting at 1, and not in any way relating to the channels from the Shaw TV guide, which are still showing the correct, Classic East channel numbers (for example, CBC HD = 292).
I DON'T have the new LNB, and don't plan to at the moment.
What could be the problem?

actually, it would appear channels above 300 are correct, and below 300 have been completely trashed (in the Sage EPG)
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 05-29-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
yeah, Sage is showing nonsense channel numbers, starting at 1, and not in any way relating to the channels from the Shaw TV guide, which are still showing the correct, Classic East channel numbers (for example, CBC HD = 292).
I DON'T have the new LNB, and don't plan to at the moment.
What could be the problem?
Those aren't nonsense channel numbers, here is a link to the new channel numbers (both classic and advanced): http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/pro...d-channels.pdf

You'll notice that most (if not all) of the existing HD channels have new channel numbers on the classic lineup. The existing channel numbers for these channels still work (and I hope they will continue to work, since I don't want to learn new channel numbers )

Do you have SageTV setup to automatically add new channels? (Detailed Setup > Customize > Automatically Enable Channels Newly Added to EPG Lineups)? If you do, I could see how this is causing problems with your guide data (if Zap2it isn't listing the old HD channel numbers anymore). Not 100% sure on this, since I have this setting disabled.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 PM
SageTVaholic

EPG listings for Shaw Direct Canada Classic East listings got totally messed up today....partly due to the implementation of the new G1 satellite, but something's not right still....all channels under 200 in Sage DON'T correspond to the Shaw EPG channel listings. Essentially, every channel between 250 and 297 has gone missing in Sage.

Last edited by tvmaster2; 05-29-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
Those aren't nonsense channel numbers, here is a link to the new channel numbers (both classic and advanced): http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/pro...d-channels.pdf

You'll notice that most (if not all) of the existing HD channels have new channel numbers on the classic lineup. The existing channel numbers for these channels still work (and I hope they will continue to work, since I don't want to learn new channel numbers )

Do you have SageTV setup to automatically add new channels? (Detailed Setup > Customize > Automatically Enable Channels Newly Added to EPG Lineups)? If you do, I could see how this is causing problems with your guide data (if Zap2it isn't listing the old HD channel numbers anymore). Not 100% sure on this, since I have this setting disabled.
yes, I do have that setting enabled to grab new channels, which it did. Problem is, it also deleted everything between 250 and 297. All those channels still are listed, and work in the Shaw Direct EPG using series 6xx receivers without the new LNB.
Is there any way, by disabling that feature, that Sage would remember the lineup that Shaw Direct seems to be using? Do Shaw and Sage get their TV guide info from different sources?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Sage Expert

I think at this point the damage has already been done and disabling that setting isn't going to help at this point. I think the problem is that Shaw Direct is pointing two different channel numbers to the same exact channels.

I'm on the old LNB too and just checked my Shaw Direct guide to see if these new "virtual" channel numbers show up (not for the new G1 channels obviously, since those won't be visible without the new LNB). I can confirm that they don't appear in my guide. I guess you need the new LNB to see the remaps of the old channels too. With these new variations and the classic/advanced lineups, I think Shaw Direct now holds the undisputed title for most screwed up channel numbering. (I think some channels now have 3 different numbers depending on your LNB and line up, and that's not including standard def versions).

At this point I think you have 4 options:

1) Wait and see if the old channel numbers are re-added back to the guide.
2) If you have a recent backup of your SageTV install (before the channels went screwy), restore that backup and disable the auto enable new channel setting. I would advise disconnecting the computer from the internet temporarily when you make that setting change, since the backup will try to do an EPG update immediately when SageTV starts (because more than 24 hours would have passed since the last EPG update).... messing up your channel numbers again.
3) Get the new LNB, and get use to the new channel numbering.
4) Go into your channel setup on SageTV and remap all of the new channel numbers to their old locations. This would probably be the easiest in my opinion, and what I would do if in the same position. Pain in the butt to do, but I think it's the best option.

Good luck.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
I think at this point the damage has already been done and disabling that setting isn't going to help at this point. I think the problem is that Shaw Direct is pointing two different channel numbers to the same exact channels.

I'm on the old LNB too and just checked my Shaw Direct guide to see if these new "virtual" channel numbers show up (not for the new G1 channels obviously, since those won't be visible without the new LNB). I can confirm that they don't appear in my guide. I guess you need the new LNB to see the remaps of the old channels too. With these new variations and the classic/advanced lineups, I think Shaw Direct now holds the undisputed title for most screwed up channel numbering. (I think some channels now have 3 different numbers depending on your LNB and line up, and that's not including standard def versions).

At this point I think you have 4 options:

1) Wait and see if the old channel numbers are re-added back to the guide.
2) If you have a recent backup of your SageTV install (before the channels went screwy), restore that backup and disable the auto enable new channel setting. I would advise disconnecting the computer from the internet temporarily when you make that setting change, since the backup will try to do an EPG update immediately when SageTV starts (because more than 24 hours would have passed since the last EPG update).... messing up your channel numbers again.
3) Get the new LNB, and get use to the new channel numbering.
4) Go into your channel setup on SageTV and remap all of the new channel numbers to their old locations. This would probably be the easiest in my opinion, and what I would do if in the same position. Pain in the butt to do, but I think it's the best option.

Good luck.
thanks for your help....I'll consider 1 & 2. I likely can't do 3, as I'm likely geographically disadvantaged there. I've already done most of the channels with number 4.....and here's the interesting thing - after remapping, the channel reception is far weaker than it was before the lineup change. But only thru my Sage installation. Reception seems fine on the old, series 6xx receivers, aka no puxilating or blocking, which is now happening through Sage with the new, remapped locations....
Do you think Shaw is sending up those channels twice, on different transponders for some reason? Totally mystified about the reception downgrade .

PS...who would "add" the old channel map numbers back again...Zap2it?

Last edited by tvmaster2; 05-30-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:15 AM
Sage Expert

Shaw wouldn't be sending the channel numbers twice, they just virtually "remap" them to multiple locations. They've done this on a couple of other stations for years (Encore Avenue I think, and TBS back when it was called TBS). Shaw doesn't have the bandwidth to spare on the old satellites to retransmit the same channels twice (otherwise we would have had a lot more HD channels sooner).

I think it's just a coincidence. How are you recording things in SageTV? HD-PVR? Colossus? R5000? Maybe try a reboot of the server just to reset the tuners/encoders, I understand that can help the Hauppauge HD-PVR's sometimes.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:20 AM
Sage Expert

Hard to say on adding back the old channel numbers. Zap2it ideally wants to have the same listings as what shows in the guide. I know in the past when channels have been added, things have been a little messy with the EPG data for a few days while things get sorted out. I remember something similar happening when HBO Canada launched a few years ago, it took a few days before the guide data in SageTV was accurate.

I just checked the Zap2it website and all of the new channels seem to have disappeared from the Classic line ups (both east and west). Despite the fact that those channels are active now. Guide data should hopefully be fixed in a few days if history is any indication.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 AM
SageTVaholic

ok, did what you suggested and rebooted, and the reception got much better...bizarre.
Zap2it would have to supply listings for all the people who aren't adding the new LNB, unless Shaw is playing tough behind the scenes to force everyone into upgrading....but that doesn't seem likely.
Hopefully there will be yet another lineup to choose from shortly...Classic, Advanced, and Original Classic. The "Coke - Coke Classic" fiasco comes to mind ...lol
Old 05-30-2013, 07:33 AM
Sage User

I just went in to start remapping my channels and removed all the "new" 1+ HD channels from my channel list. I went to start remapping and all of the 200+ channels were now in my channel list. I just reselected my subscribed ones and I'm back. Not sure what happened but I'm back in business.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RymCo View Post
I just went in to start remapping my channels and removed all the "new" 1+ HD channels from my channel list. I went to start remapping and all of the 200+ channels were now in my channel list. I just reselected my subscribed ones and I'm back. Not sure what happened but I'm back in business.
seriously? Classic East? that's so messed up.

I just checked my list...no 200 channels that went missing have returned. Are you sure it's the "classic" channels? The only ones showing in my list are all the new 1-200 designations still.

and...did you select "Basic" or "Extended Basic" in the Sage Setup Wizard?

UPDATE: Ok, truly weird...mine just seemed to automatically correct as well...WTF? lol

Last edited by tvmaster2; 05-30-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Shaw Classic East now back to normal - channels 250-297 back in place in the SageTV EPG. Odd as hell
Old 05-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Sage User

I just got my update last night (Shaw Direct West Classic) and have the same issue, all the 2xx channels missing, and Zap2It showing the same EPG starting at 1 like the East one.

Looking at the Shaw Direct website, you'll have to be running DSR 605's to be able to make use of the new channels, as well as the LNB upgrade. Too bad all I have are 505's.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartok View Post
I just got my update last night (Shaw Direct West Classic) and have the same issue, all the 2xx channels missing, and Zap2It showing the same EPG starting at 1 like the East one.

Looking at the Shaw Direct website, you'll have to be running DSR 605's to be able to make use of the new channels, as well as the LNB upgrade. Too bad all I have are 505's.
AND... you have to be within the footprint of the new, G1 satellite, which doesn't cover nearly as much south of 49 that the other two sats do, and that really sucks
Old 05-30-2013, 09:09 PM
SageTVaholic

The next EPG update is going to bring a return of the "new" channel numbers. The 1-200 for HD channels is going to be coming back. I guess it's bad news for those without access to the G1 satellite, but for me it's good because I want the listings data for all the new HD channels. Weird that the lineup removes the old channel numbers even though they are repeated (like CITYDT is now 35 but is still available at 252 - I can tune it at either on my 6xx receivers).
Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
The next EPG update is going to bring a return of the "new" channel numbers. The 1-200 for HD channels is going to be coming back. I guess it's bad news for those without access to the G1 satellite, but for me it's good because I want the listings data for all the new HD channels. Weird that the lineup removes the old channel numbers even though they are repeated (like CITYDT is now 35 but is still available at 252 - I can tune it at either on my 6xx receivers).
so I guess the smart thing to do for those who, for whatever reason, aren't going to be able to receive G1's channels, would be to turn OFF auto-channel update in "customizations"? That way when the new channel map comes down from Zap2it, they wouldn't be effected....
Old 05-31-2013, 05:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Not sure about that... either way the new map is going to remove the hd channels in the 250-298 range (I think). I think the best thing to do, actually, is yell at Zap2It (perhaps via Sage support?) to include the old mappings with the new ones.