SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Gemstone for v7
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gemstone for v7 This forum is for discussing the user-created Gemstone custom interface for SageTV.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Stop a current recording

This morning Fios decided to reboot my boxes after my wakup IR blast. This caused our morning recording of the Today show to just be the menu screensaver. I wanted to stop the recording so I could watch it live on the correct channel. However, since it was recording it kept taking me to the recording. I couldn't figure out a way to stop the recording so I just rebooted the server. Is there a simple way to just stop the recording?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Fios has done this to me before too. Not sure if it works for favorites but usually if you push record on your remote it brings up a menu that lets you can el the recording. Couldn't you also have manually hit menu to turn on your fios box and then just FF to "live"?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

It was on the wrong channel, so the recording needs to restart to tune to the correct channel.

So frustrating....
Old 03-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleNT View Post
It was on the wrong channel, so the recording needs to restart to tune to the correct channel.

So frustrating....
Or just manually tune correct the channel via the FiOS remote?

I do this occasionally to override a scheduled recording if I'm watching something and a recording starts and I care less about the scheduled the recording than I do about what I'm currently watching.
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 03-15-2013, 08:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Usually you can just press Stop on your remote in most places within Sage and it will stop any current recording.

k
Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Usually you can just press Stop on your remote in most places within Sage and it will stop any current recording.

k
That doesn't work for me if Sage is in the middle of recording a favorite (only manual recordings).

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 03-17-2013, 11:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
That doesn't work for me if Sage is in the middle of recording a favorite (only manual recordings).
Install the Multifunction Stop Plugin.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
What I do is press record to turn it into a manual recording. Then press watched to say that I have watched it. Then press record and say I want to cancel recording. 2 minutes later or less it stops recording. When favorite is passed you can then go to the guide and press watched again (if you want) to set it back to unwatched. Or as nyplayer suggested install the plugin.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
What I do is press record to turn it into a manual recording. Then press watched to say that I have watched it. Then press record and say I want to cancel recording. 2 minutes later or less it stops recording. When favorite is passed you can then go to the guide and press watched again (if you want) to set it back to unwatched. Or as nyplayer suggested install the plugin.
Why set it to a manual recording at all? Isn't it enough just to mark it as "watched"? Or does setting and clearing the manual recording cause Sage to update it's recording schedule and make it stop recording faster?
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Why set it to a manual recording at all? Isn't it enough just to mark it as "watched"? Or does setting and clearing the manual recording cause Sage to update it's recording schedule and make it stop recording faster?
It stops a little faster for me if I do. It isn't necessary but a manual recording can be canceled with the Cancel command a favorite has to wait for the scheduler to see it is already watched and stop it. That can take minutes for me. Setting it to a manual and cancelling is quicker. If I forget to set it watched also then the favorite would start up again so I also set it to watched to prevent the scheduler from starting it up again.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Setting a favorite that is currently recording to "watched" doesn't stop the recording with the default install; it will only stop a recording of the favorite that hasn't started yet.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Install the Multifunction Stop Plugin.
Great suggestion. Installed the plugin last night and it works great!

Old 04-21-2015, 06:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Found this old thread and wanted to update it. You can cancel a favorite recording without a plug-in or remote. It is frustrating because it's obscure.

Go to "manage favorites", click on your favorite, click on "advanced" and change the day to something else (temporarily). In my case, day was set to "any day". I think that's the default. Since today is Tuesday, I set it to Wednesday and the recording immediately stopped. I then rescanned my channels. Don't forget to go back to Favorites and return the day to "any day" or whatever day it is that you want.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 AM
SageTVaholic

This is an annoyance many people have had for a long time. The standard answer has been "Why do you want to stop it? If it's because of X then do Y, If it's because of A then do B."

I think adding a "Stop this recording now" button will be a great open source project

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Asegredo,

My wife is NEVER going to do that.

Every now and then Sage just messes up. The guide could be wrong, tuned to the wrong channel or the recording never stopped. (Last one happens every few months with the Today Show) A simple "would you like to cancel this recording" when you click stop or info would be great.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASegredo View Post
Found this old thread and wanted to update it. You can cancel a favorite recording without a plug-in or remote. It is frustrating because it's obscure.

Go to "manage favorites", click on your favorite, click on "advanced" and change the day to something else (temporarily). In my case, day was set to "any day". I think that's the default. Since today is Tuesday, I set it to Wednesday and the recording immediately stopped. I then rescanned my channels. Don't forget to go back to Favorites and return the day to "any day" or whatever day it is that you want.
All this just to stop a recording when the MultiFunction Stop does it. You can easily make it a manual recording by hitting record then just cancel it. if you do not want to use a plugin.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-21-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

WAF +100000 thanks to the Multifunction Stop. This should have been in their day one!