SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Sage My Movies
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Sage My Movies This forums is for discussing the user-created Sage My Movies for SageTV.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

SMM Client Issue

I have ran out of ideas on how to get this to work... can someone please chime in with some insight on how to get the SMM to work on my client. SMM works correctly on my server.

Here is where I am so far in the process:

1. Ensured that Java version on Server and Client are both 6-26; I know there have been issues with 6-29 and more current versions. I originally had 6-30 on the client, but downgraded successfully after resolving some issues.

2. Downgraded MyMovies to 4.01. It was a mess. I fell into the upgrade trap before checking compatibility and went to 4.02 - this version will not work with SMM. Anyway, all is working well with 4.01 now.

3. Made sure that MyMovies Server /Client can connect correctly and share data. I made sure Firewall settings were correct and shared the MyMovies App Data folder.

4. Installed SMM Client Plug-In within UI Mod. I also made sure that SMM was Enabled in General and restarted the Client. I checked SMM in the Server Plug-Ins section and it shows as Enabled as well.

I have repeated the installation process a couple times (once after downgrading Java to 6-29 and another when downgrading MM to 4.01). I made sure that all SMM files were deleted from the client after uninstalling the plug-in. Still no luck. Any help please?

On a side note, could someone provide me an easy procedure to install SMM on the client? I read the walkthrough, but I am getting hit-or-miss results. I got the server part fine, but what is the best procedure for the client itself?

EDIT -

Lol, I forgot to actually state the error I am getting when I enter SMM from the client:

SQL Connection Error.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver

Last edited by RetroBox; 02-01-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Sounds to me like it can't talk to the sql server. Do you have collection management installed on the client? It seems like you do. You may have to completely remove sage and start over.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the reply. It certainly looks like a SQL connection error, but Collection Management connects just fine between server /client. Reinstalling the Sage client seems a little extreme; could it be a SMM file that is not copying correctly during plugin install on the client?

It may seem elementary, but i may not be installing the client plugin correctly or in thr right steps. Can someone share the best method to install SMM on the client when it's already running correctly on the server?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBox View Post
Thanks for the reply. It certainly looks like a SQL connection error, but Collection Management connects just fine between server /client. Reinstalling the Sage client seems a little extreme; could it be a SMM file that is not copying correctly during plugin install on the client?

It may seem elementary, but i may not be installing the client plugin correctly or in thr right steps. Can someone share the best method to install SMM on the client when it's already running correctly on the server?
Remove the SMM plugin and the API. Restart the computer. Reinstall the API by itself then restart sage. Then install SMM. If that doesn't work make sure the API is enabled. If it is you may have to reinstall sage on the client.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks again for the reply.

I followed your instructions and it was certainly the smoothest try at getting this working - installed the API first, restarted and then installed SMM. I now show that the Server API is Enabled, and the Client API and SMM are both Enabled, but get the same connection error message....

I have gone through a lot of effort to get this plugin working so far, so may as well be complete and try to reinstall the client. Would I need a clean reinstall or can I keep the sage folder and run the EXE's again?

I also wonder if there is any part of the setup within SMM from the Server that I can copy to the client that could resolve the connection issue.....

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks again for the reply.

I followed your instructions and it was certainly the smoothest try at getting this working - installed the API first, restarted and then installed SMM. I now show that the Server API is Enabled, and the Client API and SMM are both Enabled, but get the same connection error message....

I have gone through a lot of effort to get this plugin working so far, so may as well be complete and try to reinstall the client. Would I need a clean reinstall or can I keep the sage folder and run the EXE's again?

I also wonder if there is any part of the setup within SMM from the Server that I can copy to the client that could resolve the connection issue.....

Thanks for your help!
The best way to resolve an issue like this is to start from scratch. Don't keep anything as something from the properties file could be causing the problem. Don't copy anything from the server as they don't quite do the same things. While you are doing your re-install I'd rebuild the data file from scratch. You can either just rebuild it or delete it and create a new one.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
The best way to resolve an issue like this is to start from scratch. Don't keep anything as something from the properties file could be causing the problem. Don't copy anything from the server as they don't quite do the same things. While you are doing your re-install I'd rebuild the data file from scratch. You can either just rebuild it or delete it and create a new one.
I followed your advise and reinstalled the client and everything is now working . THANKS!

I am still unsure about the cause of the underlying issue, but my guess is that the updated Java or MM version originally installed on the client that are incompatible with SMM might have staying in a Properties file and not become updated even after reinstalling the plugin. Unfortunately, a clean install is probably the least frustrating option to fix it.

Boy, I sure wish Plucky would provide a much needed update to SMM to play nice with the new Java and MM versions and prevent these issues
Old 02-04-2012, 01:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I followed your advise and reinstalled the client and everything is now working . THANKS!

I am still unsure about the cause of the underlying issue, but my guess is that the updated Java or MM version originally installed on the client that are incompatible with SMM might have staying in a Properties file and not become updated even after reinstalling the plugin. Unfortunately, a clean install is probably the least frustrating option to fix it.

Boy, I sure wish Plucky would provide a much needed update to SMM to play nice with the new Java and MM versions and prevent these issues
He's not going to do that until Jeff somehow manages to provide an answer to whether or not sage is going to continue living. He's not going to develop for a dead platform. Can't say I blame him. I could be wrong though.