SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Sage My Movies
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Sage My Movies This forums is for discussing the user-created Sage My Movies for SageTV.

View Poll Results: I am a WHS 2011 user and...
I have successfully installed Sage My Movies 6 40.00%
I have not been able to successfully install Sage My Movies 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2011, 06:48 AM
Sage User

SMM Compatibility with WHS 2011

Plucky et al.,

I have been unable to get the SMM API to successfully load (comes up as 'Failed') with my install on WHS 2011. I have tried everything within my capacity to get it to work, but it seems to be behaving strangely in this environment. I logged an issue on the (project site) this past weekend, but was also wondering if anyone else had been successful with getting SMM to work with this OS.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Old 07-20-2011, 11:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlewis View Post
Plucky et al.,

I have been unable to get the SMM API to successfully load (comes up as 'Failed') with my install on WHS 2011. I have tried everything within my capacity to get it to work, but it seems to be behaving strangely in this environment. I logged an issue on the (project site) this past weekend, but was also wondering if anyone else had been successful with getting SMM to work with this OS.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
I had the same issue on windows 7. I had to completely uninstall every plugin and reinstall smm first to resolve the issue. If that doesn't work then uninstall sage and the first thing to install after a complete sage resintall would be smm.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:36 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the information panteragstk. Last night I removed all plugins, and re-installed SMM first. Unfortunately, the issue persists, so I will try the clean install option this weekend. The thing that seems funny to me, as I noted in the issue on the project site, is that when the API loads, the folders that should be created in the MyMoviesShare are created off the root (C:\) rather than their proper location. On WHS 2011, this would be C:\ProgramData\My Movies\FileStorage. My initial thinking is that the API was determining the OS to be WHS and looking for the MyMoviesShare at \\server\Shares\My Movies\FileStorage which is the location on a WHS v1 machine, and when it didn't find it there the whole thing goes haywire. Just a hunch, but I'm grasping at straws now.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 AM
SageTVaholic

You may want to try turning UAC off and then installing your apps. Just like when Windows 7 came out apps for WHS v1 are not expecting the virtual store and other things UAC does. I have UAC turned off on all my machines. As long as you're diligent about patching and virus protection you don't really need UAC.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Plucky et al.,

Thanks in advance,
Brian
I'm having the same issue. Windows Home Server 2011 and I have been trying to get SMM to work for some time now and nothing I have tried (ie multiple uninstall reinstall configurations) seems to work. However, I did try using the Sage UI on the actuall Home server and installed SMM from there. When I do that is the only time I can get the install to stick and when I reboot the UI after the plugin install I see the My Movies icon like its scanning at the top. This got me real excited but when I go into the My Movies movie wall I get:

SQL Connection Error.com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException:The Connection to the host null, named instance mymovies has failed. Error: "java.net.UnknownHostException:null". Verify the server and instance names, check that no firewall is blocking UDP traffic to port 1434, and for SQL Server 2005 or later verify that the SQL Server Browser Service is running on the host.

So, I made sure I'm running latest SQL and when I go into SQL configuration I can see my movies services running.

Anybody have any suggestions? I love SMM. I think its a fantastic interface, and would love to have it back. I don't want to install the non server My Movies because I love the multi rip disk feature. Any IDEAS?

Thanks

Aaron
Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 AM
Sage User

Hi Aaron,

As of today, I have not had any success with getting Sage My Movies to work with SageTV on WHS 2011. All other facets of my SageTV on WHS 2011 setup are working flawlessly and it is unfortunate that we are unable to use this wonderful plugin on this OS. I appreciate all of the feedback and suggestions from the knowledgeable and courteous SageTV posters and I want you to know that I have tried all of your suggestions to no avail, including the complete OS re-install. I am still thinking that there must be some general incompatibility with the OS or with the version of the DB that the My Movies for WHS 2011 plugin employs, or perhaps both.

As I find it a bit hard to believe that there are only 2 individuals using Sage My Movies on WHS 2011, I'm adding a poll to the thread to see if others are having the same issue or if some have had success in this configuration.

Thanks to all who have shared help/experiences in this matter, and here's hoping for a resolution,
Brian
Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Hi Aaron,

As of today, I have not had any success with getting Sage My Movies to work with SageTV on WHS 2011. All other facets of my SageTV on WHS 2011 setup are working flawlessly and it is unfortunate that we are unable to use this wonderful plugin on this OS. I appreciate all of the feedback and suggestions from the knowledgeable and courteous SageTV posters and I want you to know that I have tried all of your suggestions to no avail, including the complete OS re-install. I am still thinking that there must be some general incompatibility with the OS or with the version of the DB that the My Movies for WHS 2011 plugin employs, or perhaps both.

As I find it a bit hard to believe that there are only 2 individuals using Sage My Movies on WHS 2011, I'm adding a poll to the thread to see if others are having the same issue or if some have had success in this configuration.

Thanks to all who have shared help/experiences in this matter, and here's hoping for a resolution,
Brian
Well, I have started experimenting with WHS 2011 too, and I can't get SMM to work on WHS 2011 either - so now it's three of us in the poll. Doesn't really add up to a big number, so it's unlikely Plucky will do anything about it...

Cheers,
teq
Old 10-04-2011, 02:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teq View Post
Well, I have started experimenting with WHS 2011 too, and I can't get SMM to work on WHS 2011 either - so now it's three of us in the poll. Doesn't really add up to a big number, so it's unlikely Plucky will do anything about it...

Cheers,
teq
seeing as how whs is dead in my opinion and I don't run whs 2011 not much I can do don't know what would have changed but I imagine something in the structure of MyMovies database.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
seeing as how whs is dead in my opinion and I don't run whs 2011 not much I can do don't know what would have changed but I imagine something in the structure of MyMovies database.
Plucky,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I understand, though I think WHS 2011 is not a bad product (even though it might be DOA after all the issues regarding the missing DE).

Anyway, I noticed one difference between the SMM installation on WHS v1 and WHS 2011 that might explain why SMM isn't working on WHS 2011: On WHS v1, SMM creates the SageTV folder in the MyMoviesShare (i.e., in D:\My Movies\FileStorage\SageTV). However, in WHS 2011, the MyMoviesShare is located at the same place as in Windows 7 (i.e., in C:\ProgramData\My Movies), so I would have expected SMM to create the SageTV folder there. Instead, SMM creates the folder in the root of the system drive (i.e., C:\SageTV). Could this cause the SMM API to fail?

Is there a way to configure the path SMM uses for the SageTV folder?

Thanks,
teq

Last edited by teq; 10-05-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Check the registry. I read the mymovies registry location for folder location.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Check the registry. I read the mymovies registry location for folder location.
Plucky,

OK, so I've gotten a bit further by comparing the WHS 2011 installation of My Movies with the Windows 7 installation of My Movies. Based on that, it seems to me that the SMM API "believes" that it's running on a Windows 7 machine, i.e., it's looking for the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\My Movies. However, on the WHS 2011 installation this registry key does not exist (instead, there's a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\My Movies key, which I believe is quite similar the the WHS v1 installation of My Movies), which is why the API always shows 'failed' and the SageTV folder is installed at the wrong location.

Now I've messed with my registry and imported the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\My Movies registry key from the Windows 7 installation. (I also changed the values for the Server and ServerDatabaseConnection fields so that they matched the WHS 2011 machine.) This enabled me to successfully install SMM on WHS 2011 (i.e., both SMM API and plugin are running and it's possible to configure the API via its configuration screen; SageTV folder was created at the correct MyMoviesShare location).

However, when I open an SMM view in SageTV, I get a SQL server exception [smm.DB.dbConnect(api.java:1179)], stating that the server mymovies wasn't configured for the use with TCP/IP (or something similar - the error message was in German as the SQL server noticed my German locale).

So I'm afraid I can't get any further than this...

Cheers,
teq

Last edited by teq; 10-06-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Detailed log should help me help you.Btw it's strange because it does work on whs for many including myself just not v2. What version of mymovies are you trying?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Detailed log should help me help you.Btw it's strange because it does work on whs for many including myself just not v2. What version of mymovies are you trying?
Cool, I will get you a log, thanks a lot!

Regarding version of mymovies, I'm using the same version on WHS and WHS 2011 (i.e., version 2.0 for WHS and version 2.0 for WHS 2011 respectively). SMM works flawlessly on WHS v1.

Cheers,
teq
Old 10-29-2011, 04:40 PM

Has anyone made anymore headway??? I haven't done the registry fix yet - I would rather not at this point if there is a solution coming soon...
Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn4x4 View Post
Has anyone made anymore headway???
+1
Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWW View Post
+1
+2

Having the same SQL error - did anyone figure out how to get around that? New to trying to get the Sage My Movies to work and would love to see it in action.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

I believe I got it working - for anyone that comes along later.

It was a combination of needing to do the registry hack (though SMM still installs the folders in C:\ for some reason?) AND needing to enable TCP/IP connections for the SQL server. I haven't completely tested it yet, but it does at least show the interface now.

To do the registry hack, I exported my existing WHS 2011 settings, modified the path, imported the settings.

To fix the SQL setting, go into your SQL Server Configuration Manager, expand SQL Server Network Configuration, click on protocols for MYMOVIES, click on TCP/IP and set to enabled. You'll then need to restart your SQL service.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Sage User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuhawk View Post
I believe I got it working - for anyone that comes along later.

It was a combination of needing to do the registry hack (though SMM still installs the folders in C:\ for some reason?) AND needing to enable TCP/IP connections for the SQL server. I haven't completely tested it yet, but it does at least show the interface now.

To do the registry hack, I exported my existing WHS 2011 settings, modified the path, imported the settings.

To fix the SQL setting, go into your SQL Server Configuration Manager, expand SQL Server Network Configuration, click on protocols for MYMOVIES, click on TCP/IP and set to enabled. You'll then need to restart your SQL service.
ajuhawk,

Glad you got it working. I am stranded at the same spot as you where. Do you mind to elaborate a bit on what/how you modified the registry?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Sage User

Yes - I got it

I had similar symptoms as described above SMM api failed during install and could not be enabled. I did the following based on inspiration from ajuhack and others,

1) The registry hack: I exported the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\My Movies] folder and sub folders to a reg file stored on the desktop. Using notepad, I opened the file and edited the My Movie folder path to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\My Movies] ...e.g. pasting "Wow6432Node\" into each path. I saved the file. On the desktop I doubled clicked the reg file and it uploaded into the registry. Using regedit.exe I checked that My Movies folder and sub folders now exist under Wow6432Node\. Don't know if it is nessecary, but then I uninstalled SageTV from the server, deleted all traces left behind and reinstalled the package. Subsequently, I installed SMM and SMM api. At this point SMM enabled but SMM api failed

2) Under SQL Server Configuration Manager ->SQL Server Network Configuration ->Protocols for My Movies I Enabled steeing TCP/IP. I then restarted the MM SQL service and tried to enable the SMM api again. And Viola!! It came up enabled and I am now able to use and navigate SMM
Old 03-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by beda View Post
Yes - I got it
Sorry I didn't get back to you - didn't see your reply until I was on travel and couldn't easily get the details.

Is it working on extenders for you? The interface is there, but none of the art (covers, etc) was there when I was messing with it last weekend...guess I need to figure that bit out yet.

Tags
my movies, smm, whs