SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Australia/New Zealand
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Australia/New Zealand SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the Land Down Under - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Australia and New Zealand.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:23 AM
Sage User

DVB-T what tuners to use in NZ

I am wondering what tuners people are using that works with sagetv v7.19 can they please list what version OS, 64bit or 32bit and if running multiple tuners. Only interested in what works in New Zealand and is reliable especially now we don't have any support from sage.
I would like to run up to 4 HD tuners in the same system currently running 4 firedtv DVB-S boxes which run without any issue but they have just start broadcasting the DVB-T standard in my area.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Sage Icon

I'm running multiple Hauppauge HVR-2200/2210, same card with different external inputs. 2 tuners per PCIe card. I know people using them on XP, Vista, Win7(32).

They have drivers for Win7(64) but I personally don't know anyone using that, although the next time I do anything OS wise on my system I'll be going to Win7(64)

Hope that helps

John
Old 07-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Sage User

Thanks John good to know what works here in NZ
Old 07-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Sage User

I'm using a Hauppauge Nova-TD-500 dual DVB-T receiver (http://nicegear.co.nz/dvb-cards/haup...tv-nova-t-500/)

I've also used an ASUS USB My Cinema stick.

The Hauppauge works very well

The ASUS also works well but has the problem that the weight of the aerial cable tends to pull it out of the USB socket. I ended up buying two ASUS sticks and a USB hub, then cable tying the whole lot to a lump of wood to keep it in place.

It may be worth noting that I've only used the above with Linux so I'm not sure about the quality of their windows drivers.

Dylan
Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 AM
Sage User

Looks like Hauppauge cards seem to work pretty well I will order some in and check them out will let you know what I find. The dual cards look interesting I also saw there was a dual USB tuner as well not sure if anyone has tried them. I will check the compatibility list before doing anything but the different versions of sage sometimes break this.

Do different cards affect the time it takes to tune in the station I notice that none of the satellite tuners seem to change channel as fast as the TV does is there anyway around that.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyj View Post
Do different cards affect the time it takes to tune in the station I notice that none of the satellite tuners seem to change channel as fast as the TV does is there anyway around that.
The two types of card I've used had similar tuning times. The problem I had was if playback started too soon after tuning a channel I found it would stutter a couple times during the first couple minutes after tuning the channel. I ended up changing a setting on my HD200/300's so they would wait 3 seconds before playing anything. This fixed the stuttering but made the channel change speed pretty terrible.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:27 AM
Sage User

channel changes speed

Yes just what I thought just good to see it's the same for others just in case it was something I was doing or not doing.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Sage User

I've been very happy with a pair of HD-Homeruns under SageTV v6. Haven't upgraded to v7 yet, but I've heard of no problems with the HDHR under v7. They saved my bacon when I found that my PC was overheating in my TV cabinet. I moved the computer into my garage (no antenna feed there) and just left the HDHRs where they were. BTW, I have tried various USB tuners and had problems, but the HDHRs just plug in and work.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Sage User

Does sage control these over the network ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdessart View Post
I've been very happy with a pair of HD-Homeruns under SageTV v6. Haven't upgraded to v7 yet, but I've heard of no problems with the HDHR under v7. They saved my bacon when I found that my PC was overheating in my TV cabinet. I moved the computer into my garage (no antenna feed there) and just left the HDHRs where they were. BTW, I have tried various USB tuners and had problems, but the HDHRs just plug in and work.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:22 AM
Sage User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdessart View Post
Just bought some HDHomeruns duals and am running them under windows 7 64 bit for the server just thought I would post this in case others were wandering what to use. I have 2 units giving me a total of 4 tuners I have not had any issues using them. Thanks pdessart for suggesting using these as I had not heard of this company before.