SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 06-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Sage User

Anyone have trouble with credit card fraud after a slysoft purchase?

Kind of off topic, but I attempted to purchase a copy of anydvd from slysoft on Tuesday evening and my bank declined the charge... they said that the info presented for the purchase was incomplete... whatever that means.

Shortly after that I had a fraudulent charge on the same card for about $115 from a dominoes pizza in the UK and another for about $75 from a place called Y4foods, also in the UK and I'm wondering of it's related. The bank declined the dominoes charge and deactivated the card due to the unusual activity, but the other charge went through. I spoke to the bank's fraud department and they're reversing the one charge that went through and sending us new cards with new numbers. Has anyone else had a problem with slysoft.

Thanks,
Brett
Old 06-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Sage Icon

I have used anydvdhd or about 2 years now and had no issues with credit fraud.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Sage Icon

I haven't had any problem with Slysoft and I used a CC to purchase many months ago.

I did have my CC hacked a couple years ago after a Ebay/PayPal purchase. The purchase was legit and I received the product just fine, but a couple weeks later I found that the CC tied to my PayPal account got hacked.

PayPal of course denied that their servers had been hacked, but the ONLY place online that had the info used by the hacker (CC #, code on the back of the card, my address/phone, etc) was at PayPal.
I got very lucky and the very first fraudulent purchase set up a red flag at my CC company and when I got home from work that day there were a half dozen messages from them asking me to call them ASAP.
They cancelled the card (after I made sure that the legit purchases I had just made were paid) and during their audit they found two other mini purchases for a buck that they took off my bill. I guess that is how some places "verify" a CC is good, by pumping a mini request through and then removing it if it comes back good.?

It is possible that either the Slysoft servers, or whoever services their CC purchases got hacked. Or even possibly our own CC companies servers got hacked, there's a lot of that going around in the news recently.

When I was talking with my CC service rep during my ordeal they told me about some place in the British Isles that services a LOT of worldwide CC online purchasing found a trojan on their servers harvesting CC info and that it had been on there for over 6 months before they found it!!

Scary world out there. I use one CC for all my online purchasing and that CC gets used for nothing else. So if I get hacked online I know which CC is affected, and if one of my other cards gets hacked then I know it wasn't because of something online.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the replies... at least I'm the only one. Ironically, the card that I had a problem with has a feature that I can use to generate a temporary card number for online purchases. It'll give me a unique credit card number with it's own CCV and expiration date and I can set a specific dollar limit and number of times it can be used. If I'm planning to make a single purchase from a company I can set it for one use. Then even if the card number is stolen it doesn't do anyone any good. Unfortunately I rarely use that feature... perhaps I need to start using it more often.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Sage Expert

I purchased the software in 2009, but I had no problems.

As to the virtual credit card number, I stopped using them a couple of years ago, but truth be told, they are a good idea when you know it is a one time purchase and have questions about the site (i.e., not amazon).
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 06-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

I purchased in 09

No problems here
Old 06-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Interesting..

A few months back, someone had posted that AnyDVD was no longer going to be allowing the lifetime free updates, and there was only a day or two to purchase it before they changed this model.

I purchased it, and everything went normal. However, a while after that, I was informed by my CC co. that my card had been hacked, and new ones would be issued. Of course, they never inform you of when and where the possible breach occurred (no fraudulent transactions were ever charged on it), and since I do use my CC for business purchases, I really have no idea where the breach occurred.

Just food for thought,

Grant
Old 07-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Sage Expert

I just bought it on June 16th without issue. But I use ShopSafe, a service that comes with my BofA card (previously MBNA) It allows you to generate a new CC number for every online purchase and place a maximum amount. It also prevents anyone from charging it twice. Hence, I am even able to send a CC number to anyone via email when I need to, like the kid in college to buy books or anything else. I am sure other CC card companies offer the same service, just with a different name. Call you CC company..
Old 08-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

I would have thought that the credit card companies would electronically search all back records of all purchases made by people who report fraud on there credit card. If they found a statistcally probability that people who shopped at shop Y were more likely to be subject to credit card fraud they would then investigate shop Y.

And I recon they are probably pretty ruthless investigators if big money is involved.

Basically I don't recon any one retailer could get away with it for too long without getting found out.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Sage Icon

I haven't had any problems with the Slysoft purchase that was made many years ago. You might also check your computer to make sure it is clean, so you data is not being scraped from your computer by a keylogger or some other malware.

Dave
Old 10-04-2018, 12:21 PM

Yes, a big problem with 4 Cards

Long time user of AnyDVD, great product to back up your hard BD and DVD's. On the 20th of September I attempted to buy an AnyDVD Life Time key. Used three of my cards (2 MC and 1 Visa) and also my daughter's (MC) card. The banks refused payment on all four attempts. The AnyDVD site appears to be blacklisted here in United States. So I gave up and started to try and find some way to pay with BitCoin.

On October 1st, all cards had attempts to compromise them. Three of the cards had trivial amounts (used by the thieves to test account by flying under the fraud radar) but thank goodness these attempts were flagged and I was alerted by the banks, however on the fourth card they successfully charged $280 and it was not caught by fraud software. But based on the other alerts I went through all my card accounts and found the false charge on the second of October. The bank removed the charge from my card on October third. All attempts to put false charges on my cards came from Europe and the UK. I have not traveled there for over five years.

All cards have been frozen and new cards are being issued to me. These are not the only credit cards I have, I have 4 others. But only the cards used to attempt to buy from AnyDVD were affected.

I would advise everyone to avoid using credit cards on the AnyDVD sites, no way to contact AnyDVD for help. They need to fix the site's security immediately and warn of the problem on the site until it is completely fixed!!!
Old 12-15-2018, 07:54 PM

I had something similar happen to me.
I tried registering in September as well and got declined with two different credit cards.
I also used a unique email address for Redfox.

A few days ago, (start of December) the unique email address was used to register two accounts on a dating site. A few days after that, both of the cards had fraudulent transactions reported.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

When in doubt, use privacy.com and create a new virtual card one-time card.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:34 AM

Just go to https://forum.redfox.bz/forums/