SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Mac Edition
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Mac Edition Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Mac edition. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Mac edition should be posted here.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 PM

New Mac user needs a little SageTV help...

I have already spent a lot of time reading threads to try and answer my own questions, but I haven't completely pieced together all of the information I need related to switching from a Windows XP Sage server setup to a Mac Sage setup.

I won't likely use the iMac to view shows but just need it to act as the SageTV server and record shows, etc. I have a HD100 that we will use to schedule and watch recordings.

My questions:

1. Knowing that I can Bootcamp an XP machine with Sage on it or run it on a Parallels/Fusion VM, is there a compelling reason to get the Mac version of SageTV since I already own the Win version? My real issue is how to not leave the Mac powered on 24/7 so that recordings will occur if I am running SageTV under Bootcamp or on a Parallels/Fusion Win VM within OS X. Any thoughts on whether the Win version of SageTV can wake up the iMac to record shows in either of the scenarios in the previous sentence? From other posts it appears the Mac version of SageTV doesn't wake up for SageTV.

2. If running Win SageTV on the iMac via Bootcamp, it is necessary to get a Mac compatible USB TV tuner or will a Windows version work. I recognize that a Mac version would likely be required running a VM with Win SageTV, but wondered about hardware compatibility using Bootcamp. I am still on old school analog cable so I just need a USB tuner that I can plug the coax into. Any recommendations one way or another for that?

Thanks,

Kent

Last edited by warkeke; 01-05-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:18 PM

After giving this a bit more thought, I'm pretty sure the Bootcamp option won't work since rebooting into OS X will effectively shut down the Win SageTV Service, correct? It would be a bit silly to set up a brand new iMac to only run Win XP all the time at the risk of shutting down SageTV...

So I guess I just need answers to my questions related to running SageTV in Parallels or Fusion.

Thanks for the help,

Kent
Old 01-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Sage Icon

USB tuners should work in bootcamp WinXP. As for WinXP waking the iMac to record in SageTV, that I'm not sure of. You will have to test it.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.